S.C.A. around Austin, TX (was: Hello)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 85 , Feb 28, 2008
      williehowie2002 wrote:
      > Located in Georgetown, Texas, I am looking for groups in Austin or
      > Round Rock.

      You, lucky fellow, are looking for the Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      <http://bryn-gwlad.ansteorra.org/>. We are a large, diverse, and very
      active branch, and eager to welcome new members.

      We have a casual, chaotic, family-friendly gathering called "Populace
      in the Park" every Tuesday. It incorporates both rapier and armored
      combat practices, as well as a lot of general socializing, and is an
      excellent place for newcomers to start. We also have archery practice
      every Sunday, and a boggling number of guilds that meet between one and
      four times a month. It's all on the website.

      Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you want to pick a local's brain.
      Or you could join our mailing list
      <http://lists.ansteorra.org/listinfo.cgi/bryn-gwlad-ansteorra.org>, and
      get to know some of us that way.

      The next sizable local event won't happen until May. That won't
      actually be sponsored by Bryn Gwlad; it's a multi-regional event, heavy
      on equestrian activities, that just happens to be held at a great site
      within the barony's boundaries. You can get a good feel for what it'll
      be like through the website from last year's
      <http://lysts.swordworks.org/>. (The organizers probably won't get to
      the website for this year's until after Gulf Wars
      <http://gulfwars.org/>.) The next big *baronial* event will be in
      September. We'll probably have some revels or tiny tourneys before
      then. They happen pretty often, usually with little forewarning,
      especially in the summer.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Stefan li Rous
      Message 85 of 85 , Nov 16, 2010
        <<< I'm very new to the SCA . I just join friday and I would very much like info on what I should do next . Thank you. >>>

        Well, what interested you in the SCA? You like doing crafts things? You like the romance of the Middle Ages? You like to try to bash people with wooden clubs? You like to sew? With some idea of your interests we can probably point you to some info.

        Need a place to look through some information online? If so, you might wish to start with the files in the NEWCOMERS section of my Florilegium website at: http://www.florilegium.org There are a couple of dozen other subject areas and currently about 2300 different files there, so hopefully you will find some files of interest.

        Be careful though. Several people have told me about going there for a "quick look" at something and suddenly realizing they had been looking at stuff for an hour. :-)

        Stefan
        PS: And if you enjoy what's there, please click on an ad or two, so I can keep it going.
        --------