An Irishman Discovered North America , not a lame viking or crazy Italian.

  • williehowie2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
      An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
      Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
      used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
      with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
      called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
      west coat.

      St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
      visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is still
      in publication today. Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
      years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
      Brendan Manuscript.

      In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
      across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
      Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
      capable of making the trip.

      That's the story. May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
      drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink all
      day, unless you start in the morning.

      William Russeth

      Author "Fires of Belenus" Wings ePress, www.wings-press.com

      Check out my website for excerpts and info.
      http://mysite.verizon.net/resr5omo/whrhomepage
    • Wolfy
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 28, 2008
        I still think that Indian folks were the ones who discovered
        America.... and look at the poor fellas now.

        ~Wolfy

        --
        The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind.
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 5:52 PM
          Prehistoric man crossed the Bearing Strait. The
          "Native Americans" are the descendants of these
          Prehistoric hunters. But I do agree that when the
          Norse or the Irish or who ever got here the land was
          already inhabited.

          Kreyze Padreyk
        • Jeff Gedney
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4 8:14 AM
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "williehowie2002"
            <williehowie2002@...> wrote:

            > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
            > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true.

            It is theorized...
            There is a large gap between truth and theory.
            What was _proven_ was that it was possible.

            It could certainly have been an allegory...
            the Western Isles of Hy Braezil (sp?) were also cited to be the Irish
            Heaven, Sometimes called Undying Lands and the Iland of Women, and a
            trip to and from those "western" lands figure in many Irish legends,
            includign the prechristian legent of the voyage of Bran mac Febal...

            It is certainly true that the Viking reported the existence of
            isolationist Irish Monks in many places they "discovered".
            What is also likely is that the Irish monsastics were following the
            reports of Basque and Bretagne whalers and Codfishers who are
            believed to have frequented the rich fishing grounds of the
            Newfoundland banks areas since prechristian times.

            > In 583 AD, St. Brendan
            > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
            > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean. The boat was
            > called a currach and this type of vessel is still used on Ireland's
            > west coat.

            A "curragh mor" ("Great Currach") to be exact.
            And if you read the "voyage of the Brendan" book by Severin, you will
            know that the construction fo the Curragh Mor was extrapolated to
            make a transoceanic boat. There were no existing plans or models for
            a deep sea sailing curragh.
            What Severin had to work with was coracles and currachs of the west
            coast of Scotland and Ireland, some of them made of tarpaper, not
            hides.

            > St. Brendan documented his voyage with a manuscript describing his
            > visits to many islands in search of the `Promised Land' that is
            still
            > in publication today.

            ? Where is the original manuscript published today?
            I would like to read it.
            Is it translated? who did the translation?

            > Christopher Columbus visited Ireland a few
            > years before his famous voyage to specifically to read the St.
            > Brendan Manuscript.

            I believe that this statement is Apocryphal.
            There is no account of this visit I can find anywhere from before the
            20th century.

            > In 1976 Tim Severin built a currach and using a stepping stone path
            > across the North Atlantic, he stopped at the Aran Islands, Hebrides,
            > Faroes and even Iceland to prove the small, but durable currach was
            > capable of making the trip.

            It was but he and his crew needed a number of modern conveniences to
            manage the trip...

            > That's the story.

            It's a Story for sure.
            Truth?
            I think it is probably true, and further more I believe he landed in
            Long Island Sound, but beliving something is true is not the same as
            that somethign BEING true.
            "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" as the saying goes.

            > May the worst thing in your day be a blessing and
            > drink with care this St. Patrick's day. Remember you cannot drink
            all
            > day, unless you start in the morning.

            My favorite past time!
            Slante'!

            Capt Elias
          • Jeff Suzuki
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4 10:14 AM
              <williehowie2002@...> wrote:

              > An Irish Monk may actually have discovered America years before Leif
              > Erickson or Christopher Columbus. It is true. In 583 AD, St. Brendan
              > used a boat fashioned from an ash framework and tanned hides treated
              > with pitch to sail across the North Atlantic Ocean.

              Let's not forget Hsi and Ho (2300 BC)...

              Jeffs/Fujimoto