Courtesy question?

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
      Ok so a man and a lady walks by, you wish to bid them good day, do you start by saying good day Lord? Or do you address the lady first?

      Probably a noob question but I wish to know the groups opinion, or if someone realy knows the customs and courtesies when addressing a male and female noble together.

      Thanks
      Gavin

    • Elizabeth Bair
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
        If it's obvious (assuming you can interpret the signs of rank) you
        would address the higher ranking person first. For example, "Good
        evening Your Majesty, Mistress ______." If they are the same rank or
        you don't know, fall back on traditional manners and address the lady
        first.

        Dulcia

        On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Oakes, George <goakes@...> wrote:

        > Ok so a man and a lady walks by, you wish to bid them good day, do you start
        > by saying good day Lord? Or do you address the lady first?
        >
        > Probably a noob question but I wish to know the groups opinion, or if
        > someone realy knows the customs and courtesies when addressing a male and
        > female noble together.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Gavin

      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
          That's kinda what I supposed, but with the male dominance playing a huge role in our culture. I didn't know if the male was to be addressed first. I always tend to fall back on chivalry when in doubt.
          Thanks for confirming my suspisions.
          --------------------------
          Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

          On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Oakes, George <goakes@... <mailto:goakes%40tiresplus.com> > wrote:

          > Ok so a man and a lady walks by, you wish to bid them good day, do you start
          > by saying good day Lord? Or do you address the lady first?
          >
          > Probably a noob question but I wish to know the groups opinion, or if
          > someone realy knows the customs and courtesies when addressing a male and
          > female noble together.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Gavin

        • Sara L Uckelman
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
            Quoth "Elizabeth Bair":
            > If it's obvious (assuming you can interpret the signs of rank) you
            > would address the higher ranking person first. For example, "Good
            > evening Your Majesty, Mistress ______." If they are the same rank or
            > you don't know, fall back on traditional manners and address the lady
            > first.

            Or, you can also side-step the issue by using a group reference, like
            "good day, good gentles".

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
              Ahh, I love the way you think :) *SMILES*

              Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

              Yours in Service
              Ranger Gavin Kinkade
              Barony of Marcaster, Kingdom of Trimaris

              QUOTE:
              >Or, you can also side-step the issue by using a group reference, like
              >"good day, good gentles".

              >-Aryanhwy
            • Otto von Schwyz
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
                Greetings,

                Depends. If you know their rank, you can address them as Your Excellency,
                Your Grace, etc. If you see that they have some type of crown, cornet,
                anything with point on a circlet; and you still don't know what rank they
                are, the safe address is Your Excellency. If they have issues with that
                address, they will let you know quickly.

                Also, address the highest rank first; then the lady is first. So in this
                example Sir Stick Jock and a lady is walking down the greeting could be;
                "Sir Knight and milady". A lord and a lady are walking by with no outward
                sign of rank, a simple "milady and milord" will do.

                Each Kingdom and region has a twist into this custom; keep an eye and ear
                open for any changes in protocol.

                Regards,

                Herr Otto von Schwyz

                XZqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzU1NDg5OTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MjgzBG1zZ0lkAzEyN
                Dc4BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyMDQxOTIxNDQ-> Courtesy question?

                Posted by: "Oakes, George"
                <mailto:goakes@...?Subject=%20Re%3ACourtesy%20question%3F>
                goakes@... <http://profiles.yahoo.com/onespecialdj>
                onespecialdj

                Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:14 pm (PST)

                Ok so a man and a lady walks by, you wish to bid them good day, do you start
                by saying good day Lord? Or do you address the lady first?

                Probably a noob question but I wish to know the groups opinion, or if
                someone realy knows the customs and courtesies when addressing a male and
                female noble together.

                Thanks
                Gavin

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=5548999/grpspId=1705126283/msgId
                =1808/stime=1204192143/nc1=5008817/nc2=3848627/nc3=4990217>