[SCA Newcomers] Re: First aid in the SCA?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
      We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food". I didnt
      realize there were events without it. Every event I have ever fought
      heavy at has had a selection.

      Egill Skorrason

      >orange wedges, pickles, trail mix and even granola bars and other
      things at the marshals table. I've even seen water bearers with
      platters of pickles and oranges out on the field during water breaks
      which definately seems to help.

      > I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It
      seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you
      drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the
      last time you ate something?" Just a thought.
    • P M
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
        Oh I am used to all of the above. I worked as a Medic at our local Six Flags Great America (Gurnee, IL). Lots of drunk/dehydrated/stupid people! We used to have a 'genius of the week'. Kind of like the Darwin awards, but they didn't get themselves killed. Thank you for all of the help. BTW, I am in the Middle Kingdom, Ravenslake Shire. I have to get used to putting that in.

        Patti

        "Tu es responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as approvoise." Le Renard en "Le Petit Prince" Antoine de St. Exupery.

        You are responsible forever for that which you tame.

      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
          "I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It
          seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you
          drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the
          last time you ate something?" Just a thought."

          In the Middle Kingdom we do a pretty darn good job of this, I am proud
          to say. Every event that I have been too there is fighter food at or
          near the fighting lists. Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
          many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles. Not asked
          if I wanted them, TOLD to have them. Usually its just "Ian, Drink."
          or "Ian, eat." Yes, I've also been politely directed to them as
          well. "Would you like some drink M'lord?" "Pretzels and Pickles
          M'lord?"

          The idea being that water is great, Gatoraid is great but you need to
          up your electrolyts and carbs too beyond what just water and Gatoraid
          can do for you. And frankly when you're fighting, either with rapier
          or rattan, you get stupid. I tell all my newcomers that as soon as
          that helmet goes on people get stupid and need to be directed to drink
          and eat for their own an other's safety. So help them out. If you
          are in armor and someone offers you drink of food, unless you slosh or
          just had some the answer is ALWAYS "Yes, thank you."

          And since I said to do it to others, I do it too. Not that I always
          want to.

          Ian
        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
            On Monday 04 February 2008 09:38:41 Chris wrote:
            > We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food".

            PFC: Purina Fighter Chow!

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Monday 04 February 2008 09:59:38 David Roland wrote:
              > Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
              > many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles.  Not asked
              > if I wanted them, TOLD to have them.

              With respect, I must dissent from this. Fighters and fencers are adults who
              have signed liability waivers. They are responsible for their own safety and
              health, and we who are Chirurgeons and Water Bearers have no right to order
              anyone to eat or drink anything.

              In years past, the Chirurgeonate has had problems with some of its more
              zealous members trying to _insist_ that someone needs first aid, and the Water
              Bearers in some areas have had similar problems with _insisting_ that people
              need to drink more water. We have worked hard, with lots of training and
              mentoring, to soften the well-intentioned but inappropriate pushiness, and
              in the process we have gradually earned more respect from the fighters we serve.

              Offer, yes. Offer with vigor, if the person seems to be a bit "out of it".
              But "no thank you" means "no thank you", and we owe the combatant the courtesy
              and respect of accepting that they know what is best for their own body. If
              you _really_ feel someone is far enough "around the bend" from heat exhaustion
              or low blood sugar to be a danger to themselves or others, our course of action
              should be to speak with a Marshal, not to take matters into our own hands, for
              it is the Marshalls who are in charge of the list field, not us. Also, the
              Marshal is a fighter as well, and so the same advice coming from a Marshal is
              likely to be listened to more than coming from a non-fighter.

              Ian, I understand that most of the people who "order" fighters to drink or
              eat don't literally think they have authority to do so, and that there is some
              humor involved -- that it's really meant to be more of a firm "nudge" than
              literally an "order" in the legal or military sense. But the problem is that
              some fighters don't see it that way, and thus we Chirurgeons and Water Bearers
              get a reputation of being overbearing nannies rather than the service teams
              we really need to be.

              As one of my mentors taught me, "Adults have the right to make their own
              choices, even if we think those choices are bad ones."

              Kind regards,

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                umm we dont get stupid... we usually have other things on our minds
                like not getting hit upside the head before you hit the other guy

                Egill