Norse resources (was: new to group and SCA)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
      Tammy R~K wrote:
      > I have desided that I would like to base my persona during the early
      > to mid viking era norway.

      My lord has a Norse persona, so I've got some recommendation-worthy
      resources ready to hand.

      For S.C.A. names, look to the Medieval Names Archive naming guide for
      Scandinavia <http://s-gabriel.org/names/scandinavian.shtml>. Follow
      the instructions in "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names" and
      you should have no trouble putting together something realistic.

      For everything else, start with The Viking Answer Lady
      <http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/> and Mistress Þóra Sharptooth's
      "Viking Resources for the Re-enactor"
      <http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html>. The Hurstwic
      site <http://www.hurstwic.org/> is chock full of good information, and
      an excellent place to look at photographs of reproduction Norse
      clothing and artifacts. For practical help putting together your first
      outfit or two, try the kit guides for The Vikings!
      <http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity/basickit/
      index.htm> and Regia Anglorum <http://regia.org/members/basclot.htm>.

      If you're looking for places to buy things, I can recommend a few
      sites. Historic Enterprises
      <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php> offers researched,
      quality clothing. (Things from the period that interests you would be
      under "Dark Ages".) The Jelling Dragon <http://www.jelldragon.com> has
      lots of cool Norse stuff, in all categories. Urweg
      <http://www.urweg.com> carries very nice jewelry, as well as belt
      fittings, buckles, pouches and bags, and bone combs. Raymond's Quiet
      Press <http://www.quietpress.com/> carries belt fittings, dress
      brooches, ring pins, penannulars, arm clasps, pendants, necklaces,
      decorative brooches, and hat tips. Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
      <http://www.ragweedforge.com/> has medallions and pendants,
      penannulars, and fibulas. The Wareham Forge
      <http://www.warehamforge.ca/casting.html#Chap3> offers mounts,
      pendants, decorative brooches, and arm rings. And Fettered Cock
      Pewters <http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_dark.htm> has
      decorative brooches, turtle brooches, strings of shiny things to hang
      from turtle brooches, penannulars, Thor's hammers, and belt fittings.

      Finally, I highly recommend you join the Norsefolk Yahoo! Group
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Norsefolk_2/>. It has many
      knowledgeable members who will offer substantiated, detailed answers to
      your questions as they crop up, and its files and links are full of
      useful resources.

      Welcome to the Society!

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • mbuter30
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24 12:16 PM
        Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

        Thank you

        Shellie
      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24 10:16 PM
          Hi Shellie it's good to meet you.  This is a good group to start your SCA journey with.  Everyone here is friendly, helpful, and good advice givers.  I don't think they know what an asset they are.  Do you have an idea for a persona yet?  If not don't sweat it and just have fun.

          Kristen

          Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

          Thank you

          Shellie

        • Sebhdann
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24 10:33 PM
            Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
            life.

            I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
            SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
            welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
            associated with.

            Enjoy yourself!

            --
            Slán!

            Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
            Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

            *mka Sue V.*

            Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
            We'll win the war and pay the toll,
            We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
            --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

            On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

            > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
            > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
            > around :-)
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Shellie

          • Sue
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25 3:07 AM
              I don't think you EVER move out of newbi-hood -- I've been involved for almost 18 years now and I still feel "new" sometimes

              and every time you start a new craft -- you're a newbie

              have fun - learn stuff

              Mariassa

              Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
              life.

              I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
              SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
              welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
              associated with.

              Enjoy yourself!

              --
              Slán!

              Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
              Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

              *mka Sue V.*

              Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
              We'll win the war and pay the toll,
              We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
              --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

              On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

              > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
              > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
              > around :-)
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > Shellie

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 25 7:59 AM
                Welcome!

                It's always a pleasure to see a new face, so to speak.

                I have a few suggestions for anyone who is just starting out, most of which
                is just making sure that you know about resources available to you.

                To start with, the Society maintains a website with excellent pages of
                advice specifically for newcomers: http://www.sca.org/
                In the upper right hand corner there are several links under the heading
                'New to the SCA?'

                In 'Find Your Local Group', there will be links that will help you to figure
                out which kingdom you are in. Once you've done that, you can find your
                kingdom's website, also in 'Find Your Local Group'. Your kingdom's website
                will have more specific information to your area, like a calendar of local
                events, frequently with links to websites, and who the current king and
                prince are.

                The Society website also has info about the rules for any kind of martial
                activity, under Marshal's handbooks, from heavy fighting to siege weapons.
                Your kingdom website will have rules specifically for your kingdom, and will
                assume you already know the Society rules.

                The Society website has the Society Charter on it, with the specifics of
                who, what, when, where and why spelled out, so that there is less confusion.

                Once you start wanting more in depth info for various subjects, I recommend
                Stefan's website, The Florilegium: http://www.florilegium.org/
                with all sorts of articles about almost everything you could possible be
                interested in.

                Please don't stress out about finding a persona and making garb right away;
                your local group should have loaner garb, loaner feast gear, loaner fighter
                equipment, etc. While you should eventually start acquiring your own stuff,
                everyone has been a newcomer at one time or another, and they all
                understand, which is why they maintain loaner gear in the first place.

                Try out lots of things, even things you aren't sure you'll like; it costs
                little to try, and you might surprise yourself! (I didn't think I would be
                patient enough to ever do any embroidery, but I'm finding I can handle
                couched embroidery in small amounts.)

                Your local group is a font of info about all the things they are interested
                in - ask them questions about anything that looks like you might like to
                try - they frequently will let you, and teach you how. More, if there is
                something you are interested in, and your local group doesn't have someone
                else doing it already, they will likely know someone who is, and can
                introduce you.

                For any specific interest you wish to pursue, there is a Yahoo list - or you
                can start one!

                And always, you are welcome to ask any question you may have here. Someone
                will know the answer, or know where to find the answer, or know someone
                else, who knows, etc.

                Speaking of this Yahoo list, this SCA Newcomers Yahoo list has a files and a
                photos section, with lots of info and pics about things that people on this
                list were and are interested in - check it out sometime - I just noticed a
                file on Chatelaine info! I'll be looking at that as soon as I finish this
                email! (Chatelaine is the person designated to help newcomers in a group.
                We have chatelaines on shire, baronial, regional, kingdom and societal
                levels.)

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25 2:51 PM
                  I am thinking of doing Irish/Scottish at the moment. I do Native American stuff also.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25 3:00 PM
                    Cool thank you for all the information I do a lot of different crat type. I do native american beadwork, hand embroidery, Book binding, machine embroidery, sewing, some leatherwork, I just have so many things I do it is too much to list at the moment. My cousin and her boyfriend are going to take me and my sister to a SCA newcomers night on tuseday. I am looking forward to it.

                    Shellie

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25 3:45 PM
                      Shellie said:
                      <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
                      looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
                      so she is showing me around :-) >>>

                      Greetings Shellie,

                      Welcome to the SCA!

                      I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
                      lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
                      really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
                      and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
                      says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
                      usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
                      into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
                      Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
                      might be more to your enjoyment.

                      In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
                      site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
                      finding out the groups closest to you.

                      I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
                      files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
                      to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
                      about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

                      Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
                      this list.

                      Stefan
                      PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
                      here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
                      Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
                      --------