Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: First aid in the SCA?

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
      In a message dated 2/3/2008 9:39:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ladyellen2@... writes:

      <<Thank you for the info for myself. I was an EMT-A/B/P and nurses aide for
      12 years. i let my liscence lapse due to not using it. I am trying to finish
      RN school. What is the minium qualification needed to start working as a
      chiuregon and how does one start? Thank you.>>

      Like Justin, I'm a Master Chirurgeon but I retired years ago due to burnout.
      At the time I wasn't doing much of anything in the SCA except for being a
      chirurgeon, and it had been that way for about 10 or 12 years...
      In any case, the minimum requirements used to be American Red Cross Standard
      First Aid and CPR or equivalent, and an SCA membership. As to how you get
      started, contact your Kingdom Chirurgeon to sign up as an apprentice, or,
      failing that, find the chirurgeons at an event where these is fighting and talk
      to them.

      Lancaster, PA

      48)

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
        We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food". I didnt
        realize there were events without it. Every event I have ever fought
        heavy at has had a selection.

        Egill Skorrason

        >orange wedges, pickles, trail mix and even granola bars and other
        things at the marshals table. I've even seen water bearers with
        platters of pickles and oranges out on the field during water breaks
        which definately seems to help.

        > I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It
        seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you
        drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the
        last time you ate something?" Just a thought.
      • P M
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
          Oh I am used to all of the above. I worked as a Medic at our local Six Flags Great America (Gurnee, IL). Lots of drunk/dehydrated/stupid people! We used to have a 'genius of the week'. Kind of like the Darwin awards, but they didn't get themselves killed. Thank you for all of the help. BTW, I am in the Middle Kingdom, Ravenslake Shire. I have to get used to putting that in.

          Patti

          "Tu es responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as approvoise." Le Renard en "Le Petit Prince" Antoine de St. Exupery.

          You are responsible forever for that which you tame.

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
            "I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It
            seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you
            drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the
            last time you ate something?" Just a thought."

            In the Middle Kingdom we do a pretty darn good job of this, I am proud
            to say. Every event that I have been too there is fighter food at or
            near the fighting lists. Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
            many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles. Not asked
            if I wanted them, TOLD to have them. Usually its just "Ian, Drink."
            or "Ian, eat." Yes, I've also been politely directed to them as
            well. "Would you like some drink M'lord?" "Pretzels and Pickles
            M'lord?"

            The idea being that water is great, Gatoraid is great but you need to
            up your electrolyts and carbs too beyond what just water and Gatoraid
            can do for you. And frankly when you're fighting, either with rapier
            or rattan, you get stupid. I tell all my newcomers that as soon as
            that helmet goes on people get stupid and need to be directed to drink
            and eat for their own an other's safety. So help them out. If you
            are in armor and someone offers you drink of food, unless you slosh or
            just had some the answer is ALWAYS "Yes, thank you."

            And since I said to do it to others, I do it too. Not that I always
            want to.

            Ian
          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Monday 04 February 2008 09:38:41 Chris wrote:
              > We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food".

              PFC: Purina Fighter Chow!

              keys fesswise reversed sable.

            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                On Monday 04 February 2008 09:59:38 David Roland wrote:
                > Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
                > many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles.  Not asked
                > if I wanted them, TOLD to have them.

                With respect, I must dissent from this. Fighters and fencers are adults who
                have signed liability waivers. They are responsible for their own safety and
                health, and we who are Chirurgeons and Water Bearers have no right to order
                anyone to eat or drink anything.

                In years past, the Chirurgeonate has had problems with some of its more
                zealous members trying to _insist_ that someone needs first aid, and the Water
                Bearers in some areas have had similar problems with _insisting_ that people
                need to drink more water. We have worked hard, with lots of training and
                mentoring, to soften the well-intentioned but inappropriate pushiness, and
                in the process we have gradually earned more respect from the fighters we serve.

                Offer, yes. Offer with vigor, if the person seems to be a bit "out of it".
                But "no thank you" means "no thank you", and we owe the combatant the courtesy
                and respect of accepting that they know what is best for their own body. If
                you _really_ feel someone is far enough "around the bend" from heat exhaustion
                or low blood sugar to be a danger to themselves or others, our course of action
                should be to speak with a Marshal, not to take matters into our own hands, for
                it is the Marshalls who are in charge of the list field, not us. Also, the
                Marshal is a fighter as well, and so the same advice coming from a Marshal is
                likely to be listened to more than coming from a non-fighter.

                Ian, I understand that most of the people who "order" fighters to drink or
                eat don't literally think they have authority to do so, and that there is some
                humor involved -- that it's really meant to be more of a firm "nudge" than
                literally an "order" in the legal or military sense. But the problem is that
                some fighters don't see it that way, and thus we Chirurgeons and Water Bearers
                get a reputation of being overbearing nannies rather than the service teams
                we really need to be.

                As one of my mentors taught me, "Adults have the right to make their own
                choices, even if we think those choices are bad ones."

                Kind regards,

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                  umm we dont get stupid... we usually have other things on our minds
                  like not getting hit upside the head before you hit the other guy

                  Egill