Re: [SCA Newcomers] new to group and SCA

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
      Greetings,
      What group or Kingdom are you with? We have Vikings in our group.

      AElfwynn of Lynford
      Shire of Beau fort
      Kingdom of Meridies

      around and in Georgia

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
        Tammy R~K wrote:
        > I have desided that I would like to base my persona during the early
        > to mid viking era norway.

        My lord has a Norse persona, so I've got some recommendation-worthy
        resources ready to hand.

        For S.C.A. names, look to the Medieval Names Archive naming guide for
        Scandinavia <http://s-gabriel.org/names/scandinavian.shtml>. Follow
        the instructions in "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names" and
        you should have no trouble putting together something realistic.

        For everything else, start with The Viking Answer Lady
        <http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/> and Mistress Þóra Sharptooth's
        "Viking Resources for the Re-enactor"
        <http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html>. The Hurstwic
        site <http://www.hurstwic.org/> is chock full of good information, and
        an excellent place to look at photographs of reproduction Norse
        clothing and artifacts. For practical help putting together your first
        outfit or two, try the kit guides for The Vikings!
        <http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity/basickit/
        index.htm> and Regia Anglorum <http://regia.org/members/basclot.htm>.

        If you're looking for places to buy things, I can recommend a few
        sites. Historic Enterprises
        <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php> offers researched,
        quality clothing. (Things from the period that interests you would be
        under "Dark Ages".) The Jelling Dragon <http://www.jelldragon.com> has
        lots of cool Norse stuff, in all categories. Urweg
        <http://www.urweg.com> carries very nice jewelry, as well as belt
        fittings, buckles, pouches and bags, and bone combs. Raymond's Quiet
        Press <http://www.quietpress.com/> carries belt fittings, dress
        brooches, ring pins, penannulars, arm clasps, pendants, necklaces,
        decorative brooches, and hat tips. Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
        <http://www.ragweedforge.com/> has medallions and pendants,
        penannulars, and fibulas. The Wareham Forge
        <http://www.warehamforge.ca/casting.html#Chap3> offers mounts,
        pendants, decorative brooches, and arm rings. And Fettered Cock
        Pewters <http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_dark.htm> has
        decorative brooches, turtle brooches, strings of shiny things to hang
        from turtle brooches, penannulars, Thor's hammers, and belt fittings.

        Finally, I highly recommend you join the Norsefolk Yahoo! Group
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Norsefolk_2/>. It has many
        knowledgeable members who will offer substantiated, detailed answers to
        your questions as they crop up, and its files and links are full of
        useful resources.

        Welcome to the Society!

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • mbuter30
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
          Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

          Thank you

          Shellie
        • Kristen Praiswater
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
            Hi Shellie it's good to meet you.  This is a good group to start your SCA journey with.  Everyone here is friendly, helpful, and good advice givers.  I don't think they know what an asset they are.  Do you have an idea for a persona yet?  If not don't sweat it and just have fun.

            Kristen

            Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

            Thank you

            Shellie

          • Sebhdann
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
              Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
              life.

              I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
              SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
              welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
              associated with.

              Enjoy yourself!

              --
              Slán!

              Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
              Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

              *mka Sue V.*

              Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
              We'll win the war and pay the toll,
              We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
              --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

              On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

              > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
              > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
              > around :-)
              >
              > Thank you
              >
              > Shellie

            • Sue
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                I don't think you EVER move out of newbi-hood -- I've been involved for almost 18 years now and I still feel "new" sometimes

                and every time you start a new craft -- you're a newbie

                have fun - learn stuff

                Mariassa

                Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
                life.

                I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
                SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
                welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
                associated with.

                Enjoy yourself!

                --
                Slán!

                Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

                *mka Sue V.*

                Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

                On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

                > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
                > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
                > around :-)
                >
                > Thank you
                >
                > Shellie

              • Kyla
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Welcome!

                  It's always a pleasure to see a new face, so to speak.

                  I have a few suggestions for anyone who is just starting out, most of which
                  is just making sure that you know about resources available to you.

                  To start with, the Society maintains a website with excellent pages of
                  advice specifically for newcomers: http://www.sca.org/
                  In the upper right hand corner there are several links under the heading
                  'New to the SCA?'

                  In 'Find Your Local Group', there will be links that will help you to figure
                  out which kingdom you are in. Once you've done that, you can find your
                  kingdom's website, also in 'Find Your Local Group'. Your kingdom's website
                  will have more specific information to your area, like a calendar of local
                  events, frequently with links to websites, and who the current king and
                  prince are.

                  The Society website also has info about the rules for any kind of martial
                  activity, under Marshal's handbooks, from heavy fighting to siege weapons.
                  Your kingdom website will have rules specifically for your kingdom, and will
                  assume you already know the Society rules.

                  The Society website has the Society Charter on it, with the specifics of
                  who, what, when, where and why spelled out, so that there is less confusion.

                  Once you start wanting more in depth info for various subjects, I recommend
                  Stefan's website, The Florilegium: http://www.florilegium.org/
                  with all sorts of articles about almost everything you could possible be
                  interested in.

                  Please don't stress out about finding a persona and making garb right away;
                  your local group should have loaner garb, loaner feast gear, loaner fighter
                  equipment, etc. While you should eventually start acquiring your own stuff,
                  everyone has been a newcomer at one time or another, and they all
                  understand, which is why they maintain loaner gear in the first place.

                  Try out lots of things, even things you aren't sure you'll like; it costs
                  little to try, and you might surprise yourself! (I didn't think I would be
                  patient enough to ever do any embroidery, but I'm finding I can handle
                  couched embroidery in small amounts.)

                  Your local group is a font of info about all the things they are interested
                  in - ask them questions about anything that looks like you might like to
                  try - they frequently will let you, and teach you how. More, if there is
                  something you are interested in, and your local group doesn't have someone
                  else doing it already, they will likely know someone who is, and can
                  introduce you.

                  For any specific interest you wish to pursue, there is a Yahoo list - or you
                  can start one!

                  And always, you are welcome to ask any question you may have here. Someone
                  will know the answer, or know where to find the answer, or know someone
                  else, who knows, etc.

                  Speaking of this Yahoo list, this SCA Newcomers Yahoo list has a files and a
                  photos section, with lots of info and pics about things that people on this
                  list were and are interested in - check it out sometime - I just noticed a
                  file on Chatelaine info! I'll be looking at that as soon as I finish this
                  email! (Chatelaine is the person designated to help newcomers in a group.
                  We have chatelaines on shire, baronial, regional, kingdom and societal
                  levels.)

                  Tabitha Pennywarden
                  Ravenslake, Midlands
                  Middle Kingdom

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                    I am thinking of doing Irish/Scottish at the moment. I do Native American stuff also.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                      Cool thank you for all the information I do a lot of different crat type. I do native american beadwork, hand embroidery, Book binding, machine embroidery, sewing, some leatherwork, I just have so many things I do it is too much to list at the moment. My cousin and her boyfriend are going to take me and my sister to a SCA newcomers night on tuseday. I am looking forward to it.

                      Shellie

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                        Shellie said:
                        <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
                        looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
                        so she is showing me around :-) >>>

                        Greetings Shellie,

                        Welcome to the SCA!

                        I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
                        lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
                        really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
                        and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
                        says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
                        usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
                        into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
                        Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
                        might be more to your enjoyment.

                        In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
                        site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
                        finding out the groups closest to you.

                        I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
                        files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
                        to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
                        about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

                        Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
                        this list.

                        Stefan
                        PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
                        here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
                        Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
                        --------