new to group and SCA

  • Tammy R~K
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2008
      HI everyone,
      We just got a local chapter. I have looked into the SCA as far as what
      it is about and liked what I read know that we have a local chapter I
      plan to start. I am intrested in history mainly pre 1600's Eruope.

      I have desided that I would like to base my persona during the early to
      mid viking era norway. my husband's family both mother parents and
      father parents sides are from norway. This is very interesting to me
      only because I have never meant someone that dosen't have a lot of
      different backrounds, it just isn't hardly ever heard of in this day
      and age.

      Have great day :-)
      Tammy R~K
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
        Greetings,
        What group or Kingdom are you with? We have Vikings in our group.

        AElfwynn of Lynford
        Shire of Beau fort
        Kingdom of Meridies

        around and in Georgia

        We just got a local chapter. I have looked into the SCA as far as what
        it is about and liked what I read know that we have a local chapter I
        plan to start. I am intrested in history mainly pre 1600's Eruope.

        I have desided that I would like to base my persona during the early to
        mid viking era norway. my husband's family both mother parents and
        father parents sides are from norway. This is very interesting to me
        only because I have never meant someone that dosen't have a lot of
        different backrounds, it just isn't hardly ever heard of in this day
        and age.

        Have great day :-)
        Tammy R~K

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2008
          Tammy R~K wrote:
          > I have desided that I would like to base my persona during the early
          > to mid viking era norway.

          My lord has a Norse persona, so I've got some recommendation-worthy
          resources ready to hand.

          For S.C.A. names, look to the Medieval Names Archive naming guide for
          Scandinavia <http://s-gabriel.org/names/scandinavian.shtml>. Follow
          the instructions in "A Simple Guide to Creating Old Norse Names" and
          you should have no trouble putting together something realistic.

          For everything else, start with The Viking Answer Lady
          <http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/> and Mistress Þóra Sharptooth's
          "Viking Resources for the Re-enactor"
          <http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html>. The Hurstwic
          site <http://www.hurstwic.org/> is chock full of good information, and
          an excellent place to look at photographs of reproduction Norse
          clothing and artifacts. For practical help putting together your first
          outfit or two, try the kit guides for The Vikings!
          <http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/authenticity/basickit/
          index.htm> and Regia Anglorum <http://regia.org/members/basclot.htm>.

          If you're looking for places to buy things, I can recommend a few
          sites. Historic Enterprises
          <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php> offers researched,
          quality clothing. (Things from the period that interests you would be
          under "Dark Ages".) The Jelling Dragon <http://www.jelldragon.com> has
          lots of cool Norse stuff, in all categories. Urweg
          <http://www.urweg.com> carries very nice jewelry, as well as belt
          fittings, buckles, pouches and bags, and bone combs. Raymond's Quiet
          Press <http://www.quietpress.com/> carries belt fittings, dress
          brooches, ring pins, penannulars, arm clasps, pendants, necklaces,
          decorative brooches, and hat tips. Ragnar's Ragweed Forge
          <http://www.ragweedforge.com/> has medallions and pendants,
          penannulars, and fibulas. The Wareham Forge
          <http://www.warehamforge.ca/casting.html#Chap3> offers mounts,
          pendants, decorative brooches, and arm rings. And Fettered Cock
          Pewters <http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_dark.htm> has
          decorative brooches, turtle brooches, strings of shiny things to hang
          from turtle brooches, penannulars, Thor's hammers, and belt fittings.

          Finally, I highly recommend you join the Norsefolk Yahoo! Group
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Norsefolk_2/>. It has many
          knowledgeable members who will offer substantiated, detailed answers to
          your questions as they crop up, and its files and links are full of
          useful resources.

          Welcome to the Society!

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • mbuter30
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
            Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

            Thank you

            Shellie
          • Kristen Praiswater
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
              Hi Shellie it's good to meet you.  This is a good group to start your SCA journey with.  Everyone here is friendly, helpful, and good advice givers.  I don't think they know what an asset they are.  Do you have an idea for a persona yet?  If not don't sweat it and just have fun.

              Kristen

              Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me around :-)

              Thank you

              Shellie

            • Sebhdann
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2009
                Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
                life.

                I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
                SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
                welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
                associated with.

                Enjoy yourself!

                --
                Slán!

                Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

                *mka Sue V.*

                Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

                On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

                > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
                > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
                > around :-)
                >
                > Thank you
                >
                > Shellie

              • Sue
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                  I don't think you EVER move out of newbi-hood -- I've been involved for almost 18 years now and I still feel "new" sometimes

                  and every time you start a new craft -- you're a newbie

                  have fun - learn stuff

                  Mariassa

                  Welcome Shellie and I hope your SCA experience is a wonderful part of your
                  life.

                  I think I'm out of newbie-hood now, having just past my 2 yr mark as a
                  SCAdian. I still feel like a newbie though. But everyone has been
                  welcoming, helpful and just the friendliest bunch of people I've ever
                  associated with.

                  Enjoy yourself!

                  --
                  Slán!

                  Sebhdann ingen Cinaedha
                  Shire of Wyewood, An Tir

                  *mka Sue V.*

                  Move Your Feet to a Marching Drum
                  We'll win the war and pay the toll,
                  We'll Fight as One in Heart and Soul
                  --'*The March of Cambreadth*'--Heather Alexander

                  On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 12:16 PM, mbuter30 <mbuter30@...> wrote:

                  > Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I looked up some
                  > groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area so she is showing me
                  > around :-)
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  >
                  > Shellie

                • Kyla
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                    Welcome!

                    It's always a pleasure to see a new face, so to speak.

                    I have a few suggestions for anyone who is just starting out, most of which
                    is just making sure that you know about resources available to you.

                    To start with, the Society maintains a website with excellent pages of
                    advice specifically for newcomers: http://www.sca.org/
                    In the upper right hand corner there are several links under the heading
                    'New to the SCA?'

                    In 'Find Your Local Group', there will be links that will help you to figure
                    out which kingdom you are in. Once you've done that, you can find your
                    kingdom's website, also in 'Find Your Local Group'. Your kingdom's website
                    will have more specific information to your area, like a calendar of local
                    events, frequently with links to websites, and who the current king and
                    prince are.

                    The Society website also has info about the rules for any kind of martial
                    activity, under Marshal's handbooks, from heavy fighting to siege weapons.
                    Your kingdom website will have rules specifically for your kingdom, and will
                    assume you already know the Society rules.

                    The Society website has the Society Charter on it, with the specifics of
                    who, what, when, where and why spelled out, so that there is less confusion.

                    Once you start wanting more in depth info for various subjects, I recommend
                    Stefan's website, The Florilegium: http://www.florilegium.org/
                    with all sorts of articles about almost everything you could possible be
                    interested in.

                    Please don't stress out about finding a persona and making garb right away;
                    your local group should have loaner garb, loaner feast gear, loaner fighter
                    equipment, etc. While you should eventually start acquiring your own stuff,
                    everyone has been a newcomer at one time or another, and they all
                    understand, which is why they maintain loaner gear in the first place.

                    Try out lots of things, even things you aren't sure you'll like; it costs
                    little to try, and you might surprise yourself! (I didn't think I would be
                    patient enough to ever do any embroidery, but I'm finding I can handle
                    couched embroidery in small amounts.)

                    Your local group is a font of info about all the things they are interested
                    in - ask them questions about anything that looks like you might like to
                    try - they frequently will let you, and teach you how. More, if there is
                    something you are interested in, and your local group doesn't have someone
                    else doing it already, they will likely know someone who is, and can
                    introduce you.

                    For any specific interest you wish to pursue, there is a Yahoo list - or you
                    can start one!

                    And always, you are welcome to ask any question you may have here. Someone
                    will know the answer, or know where to find the answer, or know someone
                    else, who knows, etc.

                    Speaking of this Yahoo list, this SCA Newcomers Yahoo list has a files and a
                    photos section, with lots of info and pics about things that people on this
                    list were and are interested in - check it out sometime - I just noticed a
                    file on Chatelaine info! I'll be looking at that as soon as I finish this
                    email! (Chatelaine is the person designated to help newcomers in a group.
                    We have chatelaines on shire, baronial, regional, kingdom and societal
                    levels.)

                    Tabitha Pennywarden
                    Ravenslake, Midlands
                    Middle Kingdom

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                      I am thinking of doing Irish/Scottish at the moment. I do Native American stuff also.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                        Cool thank you for all the information I do a lot of different crat type. I do native american beadwork, hand embroidery, Book binding, machine embroidery, sewing, some leatherwork, I just have so many things I do it is too much to list at the moment. My cousin and her boyfriend are going to take me and my sister to a SCA newcomers night on tuseday. I am looking forward to it.

                        Shellie

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 25, 2009
                          Shellie said:
                          <<< Hi I was intruduced to SCA by my cousin and her boyfriend. I
                          looked up some groups and joind some. I am also new to the Oregon area
                          so she is showing me around :-) >>>

                          Greetings Shellie,

                          Welcome to the SCA!

                          I'm not sure what you mean by "some groups". If you mean some mail
                          lists or newsgroups, that is only a small part of the SCA. Want you
                          really want to do is find out where the local groups are around you
                          and find one or more of those you'd like to participate with. Nothing
                          says you have to belong to only a single local group, although folks
                          usually play with the one closest to them. If your closest group is
                          into armored combat, and you are more into rapier combat or Arts and
                          Sciences then another group where the people do more of the latter,
                          might be more to your enjoyment.

                          In Oregon you are in the Kingdom of An Tir. If you go to the main SCA
                          site, www.sca.org, I believe they have a listing of or a program for
                          finding out the groups closest to you.

                          I run a website called Stefan's Florilegium. It has a large number of
                          files on a wide variety of SCA and medieval subjects. You might want
                          to start out looking at the NEWCOMERS section there, to find out more
                          about the SCA. The address can be found in my signature below.

                          Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or ask them here on
                          this list.

                          Stefan
                          PS: I was going to send this by email to Shellie, but decided some
                          here might also be interested. I hope the ongoing mentions of the
                          Florilegium here aren't getting people annoyed.
                          --------