Re: [SCA Newcomers] First aid in the SCA?

  • Let's just leave it as "Sean"
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 2, 2008
      My many Thanks to M'lady Sabina Maria d' Gibelet and M'lord Justin for
      their information. I have e-mailed Lady Elizabeth Reed Chirurgeon of
      the Eastern Kingdom and have downloaded the Chirurgeon's handbook as
      well as an application for apprenticeship. I hope to be of service to
      the Kingdom and the SCA in the future. I am so glad that I came upon
      this group as it has helped me greatly several times already. God's
      peace upon you all

      Your humble servant,

      Sean the Poor
      (FDNY EMT-B Inst. Coordinator)
    • Bhadra
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
        Your welcome Sean, happy to be of service.

        Sabina

        My many Thanks to M'lady Sabina Maria d' Gibelet and M'lord Justin for
        their information. I have e-mailed Lady Elizabeth Reed Chirurgeon of
        the Eastern Kingdom and have downloaded the Chirurgeon's handbook as
        well as an application for apprenticeship. I hope to be of service to
        the Kingdom and the SCA in the future. I am so glad that I came upon
        this group as it has helped me greatly several times already. God's
        peace upon you all

        Your humble servant,

        Sean the Poor
        (FDNY EMT-B Inst. Coordinator)

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • P M
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
          Thank you for the info for myself. I was an EMT-A/B/P and nurses aide for 12 years. i let my liscence lapse due to not using it. I am trying to finish RN school. What is the minium qualification needed to start working as a chiuregon and how does one start? Thank you.

          Patti - No SCA name yet, still working on it.

          "Tu es responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as approvoise." Le Renard en "Le Petit Prince" Antoine de St. Exupery.

          You are responsible forever for that which you tame.

        • Justinos Tekton called Justin
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
            On Sunday 03 February 2008 01:29:39 Let's just leave it as "Sean" wrote:
            > My many Thanks to M'lady Sabina Maria d' Gibelet and M'lord Justin for
            > their information.  I have e-mailed Lady Elizabeth Reed Chirurgeon of
            > the Eastern Kingdom and have downloaded the Chirurgeon's handbook as
            > well as an application for apprenticeship.  I hope to be of service to
            > the Kingdom and the SCA in the future.  I am so glad that I came upon
            > this group as it has helped me greatly several times already.  God's
            > peace upon you all

            Elizabeth? I didn't realize you were East Kingdom! Elizabeth Reed is a friend
            of mine, and was on my senior staff when I was Chirurgeon-In-Charge this past
            year at Pennsic. As a matter of fact, she has stepped up to succeed me and
            is CIC for Pennsic 2008, so I'm sure she will welcome your addition to our
            ranks!

            Kind regards, and welcome.

            keys fesswise reversed sable.

          • Bhadra
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
              Patty, all the information you will need is in the SCA Chirurgeon documents
              on the SCA.org website, but
              To answer your questions I've sent you the links http://www.sca
              org/officers/chirurgeon/welcome.html
              http://www.chirurgeon.org/

              Good luck
              Sabina Maria d' Gibelet
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              Barony of Bjornsborg

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                On Sunday 03 February 2008 09:39:06 P M wrote:
                >  I was an EMT-A/B/P and nurses aide for 12 years.  i let my liscence lapse due to not using it.  I am trying to finish RN school.  What is the minium qualification needed to start working as a chiuregon and how does one start?  Thank you.

                I was an EMT-B from about 1999 through 2007, and just a few weeks ago let my
                EMT cert lapse deliberately because I wasn't able to use it due to my modern-job
                work schedule (couldn't make the training dates required by my local volly squad).
                I'm still active as a Chirurgeon, though, under ASHI First Aid and CPR certs.

                The minimum requirement for Chirurgeons is adult CPR (infant and child highly
                recommended and definitely the statistical majority, but not an absolute
                requirement), plus American Red Cross or equivalent standard first aid or higher.

                There is a training program (generally four duty shifts) that is applicable to
                all new Chirurgeons regardless of certification level, because it is really
                more of an organizational and paperwork orientation than a medical skills
                training process. Since we are not ourselves a certifying authority for FA/CPR,
                we rely on the modern world cert to teach you that. Our training period teaches
                SCA-specific paperwork, safety issues around SCA combat fields, and so on.

                Kind regards,

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • David Roland
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                  As a former EMT and American Red Cross First Aid and CPR instructor, I
                  am very happy that you are joining the ranks of the SCA. While we will
                  appreciate any medical service you give...

                  We all hope it will never be needed.

                  Keep an eye out at camping events for those morning dehydration people
                  who drank too much the night before and think that they're just fine
                  and can go fence or fight heavy. Between that and the tent getting hot
                  we had to call an ambulance at a summer event for one guy. The local
                  area here became very alert to hydrating before people armored up to
                  stop that from happening again.

                  Ian

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Let's just leave it as \"Sean\""
                  <darklord_war@...> wrote:

                  > My many Thanks to M'lady Sabina Maria d' Gibelet and M'lord Justin
                  for
                  > their information. I have e-mailed Lady Elizabeth Reed Chirurgeon of
                  > the Eastern Kingdom and have downloaded the Chirurgeon's handbook as
                  > well as an application for apprenticeship. I hope to be of service
                  > the Kingdom and the SCA in the future. I am so glad that I came upon
                  > this group as it has helped me greatly several times already. God's
                  > peace upon you all
                  >
                  > Your humble servant,
                  >
                  > Sean the Poor
                  > (FDNY EMT-B Inst. Coordinator)

                • Janet
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                    Ok, so I am not a Chiurgeon, but I spend a lot of time near the list field. Yes, hydration certainly is a huge issue, but something I noticed a lot last summer was guys getting up in the morning and eatting breakfast (sometimes they don't even eat breakfast) then they go out and fight all day in the hot sun without eating a thing.

                    I've seen several people literally dragged off the list because they didn't have the strength to stand on their own with those around them confused because "they've been drinking water and gatorade all day." It seems that people are forgetting that you're body needs FOOD too. I am noticing a lot more events offering orange wedges, pickles, trail mix and even granola bars and other things at the marshals table. I've even seen water bearers with platters of pickles and oranges out on the field during water breaks which definately seems to help.

                    I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the last time you ate something?" Just a thought.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 3, 2008
                      In a message dated 2/3/2008 9:39:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      ladyellen2@... writes:

                      <<Thank you for the info for myself. I was an EMT-A/B/P and nurses aide for
                      12 years. i let my liscence lapse due to not using it. I am trying to finish
                      RN school. What is the minium qualification needed to start working as a
                      chiuregon and how does one start? Thank you.>>

                      Like Justin, I'm a Master Chirurgeon but I retired years ago due to burnout.
                      At the time I wasn't doing much of anything in the SCA except for being a
                      chirurgeon, and it had been that way for about 10 or 12 years...
                      In any case, the minimum requirements used to be American Red Cross Standard
                      First Aid and CPR or equivalent, and an SCA membership. As to how you get
                      started, contact your Kingdom Chirurgeon to sign up as an apprentice, or,
                      failing that, find the chirurgeons at an event where these is fighting and talk
                      to them.

                      Lancaster, PA

                      48)

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                        We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food". I didnt
                        realize there were events without it. Every event I have ever fought
                        heavy at has had a selection.

                        Egill Skorrason

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Oh I am used to all of the above. I worked as a Medic at our local Six Flags Great America (Gurnee, IL). Lots of drunk/dehydrated/stupid people! We used to have a 'genius of the week'. Kind of like the Darwin awards, but they didn't get themselves killed. Thank you for all of the help. BTW, I am in the Middle Kingdom, Ravenslake Shire. I have to get used to putting that in.

                          Patti

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                            "I guess, I just wanted to point out something I noticed last year. It
                            seems we might need to think about amending the standard "Are you
                            drinking water?" question to "Are you drinking water and when was the
                            last time you ate something?" Just a thought."

                            In the Middle Kingdom we do a pretty darn good job of this, I am proud
                            to say. Every event that I have been too there is fighter food at or
                            near the fighting lists. Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
                            many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles. Not asked
                            if I wanted them, TOLD to have them. Usually its just "Ian, Drink."
                            or "Ian, eat." Yes, I've also been politely directed to them as
                            well. "Would you like some drink M'lord?" "Pretzels and Pickles
                            M'lord?"

                            The idea being that water is great, Gatoraid is great but you need to
                            up your electrolyts and carbs too beyond what just water and Gatoraid
                            can do for you. And frankly when you're fighting, either with rapier
                            or rattan, you get stupid. I tell all my newcomers that as soon as
                            that helmet goes on people get stupid and need to be directed to drink
                            and eat for their own an other's safety. So help them out. If you
                            are in armor and someone offers you drink of food, unless you slosh or
                            just had some the answer is ALWAYS "Yes, thank you."

                            And since I said to do it to others, I do it too. Not that I always
                            want to.

                            Ian
                          • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                              On Monday 04 February 2008 09:38:41 Chris wrote:
                              > We call the Oranges Pretzals Pickles etc. "Fighter Food".

                              PFC: Purina Fighter Chow!

                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 4, 2008
                                On Monday 04 February 2008 09:59:38 David Roland wrote:
                                > Being a fencer myself I can not tell you how
                                > many times I have been TOLD to go eat pretzels or pickles.  Not asked
                                > if I wanted them, TOLD to have them.

                                With respect, I must dissent from this. Fighters and fencers are adults who
                                have signed liability waivers. They are responsible for their own safety and
                                health, and we who are Chirurgeons and Water Bearers have no right to order
                                anyone to eat or drink anything.

                                In years past, the Chirurgeonate has had problems with some of its more
                                zealous members trying to _insist_ that someone needs first aid, and the Water
                                Bearers in some areas have had similar problems with _insisting_ that people
                                need to drink more water. We have worked hard, with lots of training and
                                mentoring, to soften the well-intentioned but inappropriate pushiness, and
                                in the process we have gradually earned more respect from the fighters we serve.

                                Offer, yes. Offer with vigor, if the person seems to be a bit "out of it".
                                But "no thank you" means "no thank you", and we owe the combatant the courtesy
                                and respect of accepting that they know what is best for their own body. If
                                you _really_ feel someone is far enough "around the bend" from heat exhaustion
                                or low blood sugar to be a danger to themselves or others, our course of action
                                should be to speak with a Marshal, not to take matters into our own hands, for
                                it is the Marshalls who are in charge of the list field, not us. Also, the
                                Marshal is a fighter as well, and so the same advice coming from a Marshal is
                                likely to be listened to more than coming from a non-fighter.

                                Ian, I understand that most of the people who "order" fighters to drink or
                                eat don't literally think they have authority to do so, and that there is some
                                humor involved -- that it's really meant to be more of a firm "nudge" than
                                literally an "order" in the legal or military sense. But the problem is that
                                some fighters don't see it that way, and thus we Chirurgeons and Water Bearers
                                get a reputation of being overbearing nannies rather than the service teams
                                we really need to be.

                                As one of my mentors taught me, "Adults have the right to make their own
                                choices, even if we think those choices are bad ones."

                                Kind regards,

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                                  umm we dont get stupid... we usually have other things on our minds
                                  like not getting hit upside the head before you hit the other guy

                                  Egill