Canton of the Towers

  • abaltrush
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
      Would like to go to a meeting for the Canton of the Towers when they
      hold their next meeting, I'm just waiting to find out where and when
      it is beening held. I have never been to a meeting before can anyone
      tell me what to expect as a newcomer to SCA. Are there classes going
      on in arts and sciences, will I be expected to wear a costume, is
      there any fees I will be expected to pay to attend a meeting? Can
      anyone tell me what the parking is like such as alot or limited?
    • abaltrush
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
          Populace meetings differ from place to place
          But usually they are just a regular business meeting, fairly boring
          But it pays to pay attention anyway. Unless stated otherwise you aren't
          Expected to be in garb.
          You should talk to your canton's seneschal for the info you need.

          Sabina
          Would like to go to a meeting for the Canton of the Towers when they
          hold their next meeting, I'm just waiting to find out where and when
          it is beening held. I have never been to a meeting before can anyone
          tell me what to expect as a newcomer to SCA. Are there classes going
          on in arts and sciences, will I be expected to wear a costume, is
          there any fees I will be expected to pay to attend a meeting? Can
          anyone tell me what the parking is like such as alot or limited?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sharon Zakhour
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
            I am also a newcomer to the SCA and I started out by going to a few
            meetings. I would highly recommend it. In my Shire (Cloondara) we have
            two meetings per month and they are held in the back room of a pizza
            restaurant. The first is a business meeting which is attended by the
            officers and a few hardcore folk. But I get a lot out of those - you
            bond with people and find out what's really going on and how to get
            involved. Plus, they are just really fun people. :-)

            Our second meeting is an A&S (arts and sciences) meeting which is better
            attended and more social/educational. I would say that this is the way
            to go. After a few meetings you find yourself learning about garb (not
            "costume" but garb and we definitely dress in mundane clothes at our
            meetings) and you start to think about names and devices. And my
            daughter started attending fighter practice pretty much right away which
            is also easier when you know some of the folk first.

            I don't know your Canton in particular, but perhaps the meeting info is
            on their webpage? Also, our shire has a yahoo list that has
            announcements and such. Search to see if your Canton has a yahoo group
            to join. It's a good way to find out about meetings, fighter practice
            (and cancellations), who's going to a camping event and who wants to
            share a ride/campsite and so on.

            Bianca

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
              In a message dated 2/2/2008 8:30:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              abaltrush@... writes:

              <<Would like to go to a meeting for the Canton of the Towers when they
              hold their next meeting, I'm just waiting to find out where and when
              it is beening held. I have never been to a meeting before can anyone
              tell me what to expect as a newcomer to SCA. Are there classes going
              on in arts and sciences, will I be expected to wear a costume, is
              there any fees I will be expected to pay to attend a meeting? Can
              anyone tell me what the parking is like such as alot or limited? >>

              This question is best answered by someone from Canton of the Towers, as what
              constitutes a "meeting" can vary significantly from group to group and over
              time within the same group. In my 20 years in my local group, meetings have
              been held at the local Chamber of Commerce, in private homes, at a public
              library, and most recently in a used book store. At the Chamber of Commerce
              people attending were asked to donate towards the cost of using the room; at
              private homes and at the bookstore we don't (but we never get out of the
              bookstore without buying 10 or 12 books between us anyway). Parking has been on the
              street for all of them except the library, with varying degrees of
              difficulty finding a spot. We've gone back and forth between wearing garb and not.
              Our "meetings" are always business meetings where we do officer's reports,
              plan upcoming events, and so forth, but in some groups there may also be arts
              and sciences activities, or fighting or whatever as well.
              Are you in contact with someone from Canton of the Towers who will be giving
              you the information about where and when the meeting will be? If so, feel
              free to ask that person the questions you have asked here. They are not
              "stupid questions" by any means (and the only stupid question is the one you don't
              ask, or the one that could be answered if you just looked around you for a
              moment at the time you asked it such as "where's the ladies room?" when you
              are standing directly in front of the sign with the silhouette of the woman in
              the dress on it).
              If you aren't in contact with someone, let us know which Kingdom it's in
              (I'm pretty sure it's East, isn't it?) and someone can get you a contact address
              for that group.

              Lancaster, PA

              48)

            • ann baltrush

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2008
                  Hi Sharon,

                  Sorry I am so late getting back to you, but I wanted to thank you for your help and advise. I have attend a couple of meetings in my area and will go to another one Sunday. Once again thanks. Ann