Re: [SCA Newcomers] herald help

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2008
      Quoth "Joel":
      > like the name Johannes "Jost" Seligkint. I'm thinking of the period
      > 15th to 16th century in mid-central Germany. Would the name fit
      > historically and linguistically? Any help is much appreciated.

      <Johannes> actually is a relatively rare name in German -- the
      diminutive <Hans> is much more common in the data that I've looked
      at. But here is some information about forms of the name used in
      the central part of Germany in the period in which you're interested.

      "16th-17th Century Hessian Given Names and Surnames"
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/kunegund/hessenames.html
      draws on data from Selbold, about 29km from Frankfurt; it has four
      examples of <Johann> and two of <Jost> (note that <Jost> is unrelated
      to <Johann>; it is ultimately from the saint's name <Jodocus>).

      In my article "German Names from N��rnberg, 1497"
      (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/nurnberg1497.html) forms
      of <Hans> are by far the most popular -- 917 of <Hanns> and 1171 of
      <Hans> (for comparison, the next most popular mans' name is <Kuncz>,
      a pet form of <Conrad> with 571 instances) -- in contrast with
      <Johannes>, of which there are 10 instances.

      There's a similar disparity in my "German Names from Kulmbach, 1495"
      (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/kulmbach1495.html):
      91 instances of <Hanns>, 38 of <Hans>, and only three of <Johannes>,
      and in my "German Names from 1495" (covering Baden-Wuerttemberg)
      (http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/german/german1495.html), which
      has 402 instances of <Hanns>, 272 of <Hans>, and only three of
      <Johannes>. (This article also has 15 examples of <Jost>.)

      What do you intend <Seligkint> to mean?

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est