Leather garb

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
      Is there such a thing as leather women's garb? Something like the
      Indians wore but 10th-11th century Anglo- Saxon or Viking. I have some
      leather and I'd like to use some fur too if anyone has any suggestions.
      Thank you,
      AElfwynn
      Shire of Beaufort
      Kingdom of Meridies
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
        AElfwynn wrote:
        > Is there such a thing as leather women's garb? Something like the
        > Indians wore but 10th-11th century Anglo- Saxon or Viking. I have some
        > leather and I'd like to use some fur too if anyone has any
        > suggestions.

        By "something like the Indians wore", do you mean buckskin
        <http://happytrails_2.tripod.com/danceregalia/id14.html>?

        Leather shoes, belts, and bags were common enough in the period you
        mention, all over northern Europe, but dresses were made of linen and
        wool. If you're interested in Norse clothing, you should read Thora
        Sharptooth's articles
        <http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikresource.html>. Regia
        Anglorum's site has pretty good info on the Anglo-Saxons
        <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot.htm>.

        Fur was used throughout the Middle Ages as trim and sometimes as lining
        for the clothing of the very wealthy. Entire garments with fur on the
        outside were not typical and, in fact, I'm not aware of a single
        surviving example of such.

        is a good place to go with questions about the period of your interest,
        especially if they relate to the Norse.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 25, 2008
          In a message dated 1/25/2008 4:03:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          cas46per@... writes:

          <<Is there such a thing as leather women's garb? Something like the
          Indians wore but 10th-11th century Anglo- Saxon or Viking. I have some
          leather and I'd like to use some fur too if anyone has any suggestions.>>

          No leather clothing that I can think of in that time period, I'm afraid.
          You might be able to locate information for a leather fur-lined hat, although
          my immediate thought is that such a thing would be more likely as male
          headgear. Fur-lined clothing, such as cloaks or outer tunics, are certainly a
          reasonable possibility for that time period; a bit later there is something called
          a "pelice" or "pelicon" that is a fur-lined robe. The outer surface of the
          garments are most likely wool, however, not leather.

          Lancaster, PA

          48)

        • SeagoerTim
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2008
            I am not sure on the leather garb specifically but I
            just sank 200 dollars on leather and suede hides for
            her to ake things including shoes. I got the leather
            on a recent trip to Sheridan Wyoming on business.
            They had a bargain section so most hides were between
            20 and 30 dollars.

            Tim

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • wendy brown
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
              We are in Georgia. Thank you for telling me about the leather. I hope she has fun making things. I got a bunch of big pieces and different colors for $8 at a re-sale barn. The deer antler tines are very difficult to find. If you locate some I'd love to where i can get some.

              Thanks Aelfwynn

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2008
                Check with your local taxidermist! He will probably have some, especially
                this time of year.

                Sabina

                I am not sure on the leather garb specifically but I
                just sank 200 dollars on leather and suede hides for
                her to ake things including shoes. I got the leather
                on a recent trip to Sheridan Wyoming on business.
                They had a bargain section so most hides were between
                20 and 30 dollars.

                Tim

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools. search.yahoo.
                com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • SeagoerTim
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
                  There was a shop in Buffalo Wyoming where I worked for
                  a few days about a week ago. I do not recall the
                  name.

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and