Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: faking credentials (was: Persona Question)

    Message 1 of 71 , Jan 24, 2008
      In a message dated 1/23/2008 8:06:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      naspiritwalker@... writes:

      <<I ask in all seriousness "what is a belt"? Does a belt
      have to made of leather, or is a sash a belt? Will I
      be kick out wear a white sash even though it
      interwoven with grey and black treads or for wearing a
      white rope as a belt because thats how the monks were
      pictured in the encyclopedia? >>

      A plain white sash certainly counts; I know knights with Middle Eastern
      personas who wear white sashes to indicate their rank. A white heavily
      interwoven with other colors probably will not get any comment, but if there are just
      a few strands of other colors, it might.

      As far as the rope belt on what is clearly clerical garb, well, that one I'm
      not sure about. I have seen one jerk yell at a 10-year-old girl for wearing
      a white rope belt, but all who witnessed it agreed that he was completely
      out of line to do so. I am tempted to counsel that you choose a
      natural-colored rope - (I'm thinking natural hemp here, so light brown), and disgusted that
      I even feel like I should need to tell you that, because I really think
      historically-accurate recreation should trump most of the SCA sumptuary laws.

      It's unlikely someone would think you should be kicked out for simply
      wearing a white (something) as a belt. More likely you will get lots of
      well-meaning lectures about what it means. But if you are very clearly not pretending
      to be a knight (ie, not running around talking to the other fighter types
      about how great you are at polearm or something, or insisting on being called
      Sir Whatshisface), I think most people would let it pass if it was appropriate
      to your persona to wear something white that wasn't a leather belt.

      Lancaster, PA

      48)