Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re:Thank you to all

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
      In a message dated 1/22/2008 10:55:42 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      naspiritwalker@... writes:

      <<Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be easier
      just to take the belt away from J. Q. Newcomer if it
      incorrectly identifies them as having some honor,
      rank, or position to which they are not entitled?>>

      Taking personal property away from someone is called "stealing", and
      probably would be received very poorly by a newcomer (or anyone for that matter).
      It's much better to explain to them why they shouldn't be wearing it and
      convince them to take it off of their own accord.

      << Are these rules about the Red
      Belt, Green Belt, Etc. society wide or do they only
      apply in certain kingdoms? I have never heard of this
      before.>>

      Several people have already answered this, but I'll try to paraphrase.
      Red, green, and yellow belts fall under "traditional" or "customary" usage -
      ie many peers mark their formal students with belts of these colors.
      Equally, many do not. My husband's apprentice token is a silver and garnet flower
      on a multi-colored cord. Someone else I know had a protege belt that was
      black with a line of either silver or gold, I forget which, down the center.
      There's a household in Atlantia that gives their squires blue belts instead of
      red. Society rules do not restrict any of these colors; society rules only
      restrict the white belt/baldric for knights. There may or may not be some
      kingdoms that have rules restricting these belt colors. The East, I know, does
      not.

      Lancaster, PA