I'm new, trying my best, and lost at the start.

  • zimaman1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2008
      The problem I'm having isn't that I don't have enough info about a
      topic. It's that I have to much about to many. Normaly this wouldn't be
      an issue at all, I'd just pick one and go down that path to wherever it
      may go. I'm thinking that to start out I should just go with somthing
      easy to portray, with the garb and such. Would anyone here know a
      century to start with that had vast trade and simple clothing? I not
      seeing the big picture anymore and need a nudge in the right direction.
      Thanks in advance.
    • Labhaoise O'Beachain
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
        I can't help off the top of my head on trade, but earlier is usually
        simpler! I seem to recall a map of finds from about 1100 and the trade
        routes they suggested, but don't remember where, sorry.
        Labhaoise

        zimaman1 <no_reply@...> wrote:
        > The problem I'm having isn't that I don't have enough info about a
        > topic. It's that I have to much about to many. Normaly this wouldn't
        be
        > an issue at all, I'd just pick one and go down that path to wherever
        it
        > may go. I'm thinking that to start out I should just go with
        somthing
        > easy to portray, with the garb and such. Would anyone here know a
        > century to start with that had vast trade and simple clothing? I not
        > seeing the big picture anymore and need a nudge in the right
        direction.
        > Thanks in advance.

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
          zimaman1 wrote:
          > The problem I'm having isn't that I don't have enough info about a
          > topic. It's that I have to much about to many. Normaly this wouldn't
          > be an issue at all, I'd just pick one and go down that path to
          > wherever it may go.

          I get the impression you're talking about choosing a persona, here. I
          feel the first thing I should say is this:

          You don't have to work up a persona right away. (You don't have to
          work one up at all, in fact, unless you want to.) It is perfectly
          acceptable for you to choose just a first name and spend some time
          exploring all the information you've gathered, gathering more, trying
          out various periods' clothing, seeing what you like in terms of gear,
          skills, and history, and wait until something stands out as "right"
          before you build one.

          As far as name-picking goes, by the way, the resource you want is the
          Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/>. Some version of
          a Biblical name or one of the ones the Normans spread across Europe
          might be a good choice. It would be present, in one form or another,
          in many cultures, so you'd have a reasonable chance of being able to
          use it in persona, later. (For instance, if you used "William" and
          later decided to be from 13th-century Paris, you could use
          "Guillaume".) On the other hand, changing names really isn't
          difficult, so if you find a name you like, even if it's unique to a
          specific language, you should feel free to use it. If you later decide
          you don't want a persona from the corresponding culture, you can always
          pick a new one. SCAdians tend to adapt pretty quickly to a name
          change.

          > I'm thinking that to start out I should just go with somthing easy to
          > portray, with the garb and such. Would anyone here know a century to
          > start with that had vast trade and simple clothing?

          The Viking Age (8th-11th century, northern Europe) leaps to mind. The
          Norse of that period had trading ties all the way from what we now call
          Byzantium in the east to Ireland, then (after the 9th century) Iceland,
          then (after the 10th century) Greenland in the west, as well as south
          into northern Africa.

          You can see good pictures of men and women in Norse garb from the
          period on the Hurstwic site
          <http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/
          clothing.htm>.

          I don't think the Anglo-Saxons traded as widely as the Norse, but they
          did trade *with* the Norse, and materials from far-flung lands are
          found on sites in their lands. You can learn more about their clothing
          on the Regia Anglorum site <http://www.regia.org/members/basclot.htm>.
          (There's also some further info on Norse clothing there, as Regia
          re-enactments involve both cultures).

          The Gaels in Ireland and Scotland also traded with the Norse. Finnacan
          Dub's "Early Gaelic Dress: An Introduction"
          <http://b-b-fam.home.texas.net/Coblaith/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html>
          will tell you much about their clothing.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2008
            In a message dated 1/11/2008 7:58:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

            <<Would anyone here know a
            century to start with that had vast trade and simple clothing? I not
            seeing the big picture anymore and need a nudge in the right direction.>>

            How about 14th century England/France/italy, etc? Multinational trade fairs
            where variants on a simple tunic (longer/shorter/more or less fitted) work
            for men and a fairly simple set of gowns for women?

            Lancaster, PA

          • Sally
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
              I am finding that as my tastes and comforts develope in this area
              that 15th century has most choices to offer. If your persona is one
              that travels it opens you to more choices. Last summer was my first
              Pennsic and my clothing- all too heavy and binding for the weather
              sent me shopping for Indian and Roman attire! Far easier to dance
              in also! Comfort to me is key- and good shoes a MUST. Glinda Simone

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 1/11/2008 7:58:05 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >
              > <<Would anyone here know a
              > century to start with that had vast trade and simple clothing? I
              not
              > seeing the big picture anymore and need a nudge in the right
              direction.>>

              > How about 14th century England/France/italy, etc? Multinational
              trade fairs
              > where variants on a simple tunic (longer/shorter/more or less
              fitted) work
              > for men and a fairly simple set of gowns for women?
              >

              > Brangwayna Morgan
              > Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom
              > Lancaster, PA
              >

              > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in