Naming

  • judith_starsong
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hello all

      Does anyone know anything about -- or know someone who knows anything
      about -- Occitan/Provencal naming in the 12th and 13th centuries? I
      have a given name chosen but am having trouble finding sources for
      bynames. Also, if anyone has reputable sources for Judeo-Provencal
      names, that too would be appreciated.

      Thanks so much,
      Sarah (as I am mundanely known :D)
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
        Quoth "judith_starsong":
        > Does anyone know anything about -- or know someone who knows anything
        > about -- Occitan/Provencal naming in the 12th and 13th centuries? I

        There are a couple of articles which address this period in the
        Medieval Names Archive:

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/occitan.shtml

        Ramons lo Montalbes's article is probably the best one to start
        with.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
          Does anyone know anything about 12th c. Welsh naming for Males? Other than
          what is in S-Gabriel org. We have looked there already.
          Bhadra

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2008
            Quoth "Bhadra":
            > Does anyone know anything about 12th c. Welsh naming for Males? Other than
            > what is in S-Gabriel org. We have looked there already.

            The material in the Medieval Names ARchive is the best that is
            out there. For more specific questions, you could contact
            Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn (www.heatherrosejones.com),
            who has done quite a bit of research on Welsh names which has
            not yet been published.

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est