Need Advice on Making Outfit for FIrst Meeting

  • sakuralover99
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
      I am 10 and i will be going to my first sca meeting this weekend and
      need to know what i can use as a temporary outfit with what i have.
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
        Greetings,

        Sorry but I can't tell by your name whether your male or female.
        My son went to his first event in a T-tunic and a pair of dark colored joggers and his sneakers. It was February here in Georgia and I wanted him to be warm and comfortable. He hadn't decided what persona he wanted so we went with that and he felt fine and no one said anything.
        If you look on your Kingdom website there should be a page school for children that you can sign up for. It's great and you can work way up and learn all sorts of things. Look under children.
        He has recently gone from French to Viking in his likes because he really likes the one guy at Shire and he is a Viking. Of course all a-of the weapons Lord Halfdan carries around helped him to decide. So now my son who was Jacques is now a Bjorn. I am Ælwynn and am 15th century English.
        Have a good time at your event and make sure you notice all of the garb so you can better idea of what you might like.

        Ælfwynn of Lynford
        Shire of Beau Fort
        Kingdom of Meridies

        I am 10 and i will be going to my first sca meeting this weekend and
        need to know what i can use as a temporary outfit with what i have.

      • Annie Ley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
          If you can't decide or find anything....you might want to try the Gold Key at the event....they might have some ' loaner garb' you could wear until you decide on a persona. Also there are instructions on how to make t tunics and t tunic dresses on the SCA organization website. I think you have to look under Forward into the Past. They are very easy to make. Although you might want a little help from mom or dad if you go that route. These are just some suggestions for you. Hope you find something and just have fun with it.
          sakuralover99 <sakuralover99@...> wrote: I am 10 and i will be going to my first sca meeting this weekend and
          need to know what i can use as a temporary outfit with what i have.

        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            sakuralover99 wrote:
            > I am 10 and i will be going to my first sca meeting this weekend and
            > need to know what i can use as a temporary outfit with what i have.

            Hmm. . .the problem you're likely to have with this approach is that we
            wear very few clothes, these days, that are much like those people wore
            in Europe in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

            Most medieval kids dressed something like this
            <http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848/0619>; boys might also
            dress like this <http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/cpg848/0018>.

            By the Renaissance children's clothes were pretty elaborate, and
            depending on where they lived they might dress like this
            <http://www.wga.hu/html/g/gossaert/2/girl.html> or this
            <http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/b/bronzino/1/m_medici.html>,
            this
            <http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/
            enlargement_iseppo.html>, or this
            <http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/men/
            GAFasoloGiuseppeGualdo.jpg>, or in any number of other, equally
            complicated, clothes.

            Fortunately, it's not hard at all to make a reasonably accurate
            medieval outfit. If you sew, or have a grown-up handy who does, you
            can find information on how to make a simple medieval tunic at
            <http://www.virtue.to/articles/in_depth_garb.html>. It's best to make
            it out of linen or wool, if you can get hold of some in time. But
            cotton will do in a pinch. Men, women, and children all wore long
            tunics for much of the Middle Ages so, whether you're a boy or a girl,
            a tunic is all you need to get right away.

            Even more fortunately, most S.C.A. branches maintain a collection of
            what they call "loaner gear"--items newcomers to the Society can borrow
            for use at events. And the members of those that don't have loaner
            gear (or don't have much) will often lend their own extra things. Your
            branch should have a hospitaler or a chatelaine who can help you find
            something to wear. If not, it will definitely have a seneschal you or
            your folks can contact for that purpose. If your parents will permit
            you to tell us where in the Known World you live (what branch of the
            S.C.A.), someone on this list might be able to help, too.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
              In a message dated 1/9/2008 8:50:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              sakuralover99@... writes:

              <<I am 10 and i will be going to my first sca meeting this weekend and
              need to know what i can use as a temporary outfit with what i have.>>

              Many SCA groups have clothes that you can borrow for your first few events.
              I would suggest contacting someone from the local group - may be the person
              who told you about the thing you are going to this weekend - and asking if
              there is any way you can borrow clothes. If that's not an option, then you
              could probably wear either a pair of tights or leggings that you can't see
              through (or pants that aren't blue jeans - dark-colored sweat pants as long as
              they don't have writing or sports stuff all over them would be good) and a long,
              plain shirt belonging to your mom or dad or an older person (so it is big on
              you) with a belt around the outside of the shirt.

              Lancaster, PA