Re: [SCA Newcomers] Help with 15th century English clothing

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
      AElfwynn wrote (with "Help with 15th century English clothing" in her
      subject line):
      > Please does anyone know of a good website where I can see authentic
      > looking pieces so when I make one I can get it right?

      To get the best feel for clothing from a particular period, look to
      contemporary illustrations. Pay special attention to those that
      feature women engaged in everyday activities. (These are likely to
      have been painted realistically, while images of goddesses, saints, and
      figures from history are often clothed allegorically or speculatively.)
      Here are a few suggestions:

      Les très riches heures du Duc de Berry
      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
      Labors_of_the_months#Tres_riches_heures>.

      "From the Skin Out"
      <http://www.maisonstclaire.org/resources/skin_out/
      skin_out.html#womenswear>

      BNF Richelieu Manuscrits Français 598
      <http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/NoticesInd/MAN01042.htm>

      The Grimani Breviary
      <http://www.wga.hu/html/zgothic/miniatur/1451-500/21griman/>

      Jean Bourdichon's "The Wealthy Man"
      <http://www.wga.hu/html/b/bourdich/wealthy.html>

      Once you have a grasp on the look you're going for, you'll know whether
      what you're seeing in other re-enactors' galleries, dress diaries, and
      blogs match your goals. Here are a few promising options:

      Marie Chantal Cadieux' 15th Century Gallery
      <http://cadieux.mediumaevum.com/15.html>

      MedCos: 15th-Century Costuming
      <http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5&topic=2>

      Lia de Thornegge's Clothes
      <http://swein.campus.luth.se/lia/garb/#period>

      If you settle on a Gothic Fitted Gown, you'll find good instructions at
      La Cotte Simple
      <http://www.cottesimple.com/fem_silhouette/intro_fem_silh.html> and
      good photos of one method at
      <http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/DressFitting/DressDemo.htm>.

      If you decide on a houppelande, you might be interested in Cynthia
      Virtue's approach to them
      <http://www.virtue.to/articles/circle_houp.html>.

      Reconstructing History (a company that specializes in well-researched,
      authentic sewing patterns) has a 15th-century kirtle pattern
      <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?w=21&p=71>. There's
      not much info on it on their site, but if you e-mail them they should
      reply with the answers to any questions you might have. Or you could
      visit their discussion list; there's a link at the bottom of the page.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Bhadra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        Greetings AElfwynn,
        I have a link for you that should be suitably overwhelming, but if you can't
        find what you are looking for in one of these groups ye will na at all! Good
        luck to ya!
        Bhadra