Help with 15th century English clothing

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2008
      Greetings,

      I have an event to go to in a month or so and I would love to sew a new outfit. Mine were mostly donated and are getting a little ragged from working in the kitchen and gathering firewood. I have a good coat with a hood but I need a lightweight outfit to wear for running around the site and another one for court.
      Where do I look for ideas? I've tried a few websites but haven't come up with anything. Please does anyone know of a good website where I can see authentic looking pieces so when I make one I can get it right? No ones ever taken a candid shot of me at an event and it's probably because me clothes look like raggy old things or not garb looking.
      I put Roman trim on my sons outfit....ooops.
      Only been in 11 months.

      AElfwynn

    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        AElfwynn wrote (with "Help with 15th century English clothing" in her
        subject line):
        > Please does anyone know of a good website where I can see authentic
        > looking pieces so when I make one I can get it right?

        To get the best feel for clothing from a particular period, look to
        contemporary illustrations. Pay special attention to those that
        feature women engaged in everyday activities. (These are likely to
        have been painted realistically, while images of goddesses, saints, and
        figures from history are often clothed allegorically or speculatively.)
        Here are a few suggestions:

        Les très riches heures du Duc de Berry
        <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/
        Labors_of_the_months#Tres_riches_heures>.

        "From the Skin Out"
        <http://www.maisonstclaire.org/resources/skin_out/
        skin_out.html#womenswear>

        BNF Richelieu Manuscrits Français 598
        <http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/NoticesInd/MAN01042.htm>

        The Grimani Breviary
        <http://www.wga.hu/html/zgothic/miniatur/1451-500/21griman/>

        Jean Bourdichon's "The Wealthy Man"
        <http://www.wga.hu/html/b/bourdich/wealthy.html>

        Once you have a grasp on the look you're going for, you'll know whether
        what you're seeing in other re-enactors' galleries, dress diaries, and
        blogs match your goals. Here are a few promising options:

        Marie Chantal Cadieux' 15th Century Gallery
        <http://cadieux.mediumaevum.com/15.html>

        MedCos: 15th-Century Costuming
        <http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5&topic=2>

        Lia de Thornegge's Clothes
        <http://swein.campus.luth.se/lia/garb/#period>

        If you settle on a Gothic Fitted Gown, you'll find good instructions at
        La Cotte Simple
        <http://www.cottesimple.com/fem_silhouette/intro_fem_silh.html> and
        good photos of one method at
        <http://www.mathildegirlgenius.com/DressFitting/DressDemo.htm>.

        If you decide on a houppelande, you might be interested in Cynthia
        Virtue's approach to them
        <http://www.virtue.to/articles/circle_houp.html>.

        Reconstructing History (a company that specializes in well-researched,
        authentic sewing patterns) has a 15th-century kirtle pattern
        <http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/index.php?w=21&p=71>. There's
        not much info on it on their site, but if you e-mail them they should
        reply with the answers to any questions you might have. Or you could
        visit their discussion list; there's a link at the bottom of the page.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Bhadra
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
          Greetings AElfwynn,
          I have a link for you that should be suitably overwhelming, but if you can't
          find what you are looking for in one of these groups ye will na at all! Good
          luck to ya!
          Bhadra