period pens (was: On a related note..)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
      Rose Atherton wrote:
      > I would be really interested in period types of pens.

      > My personae tend from between Mid 14th Century to 16th Century
      > England. . .

      Well, the quill pen had long been standard by the 14th century and
      remained so through the 16th, so if you're looking for tools to suit
      your persona, that's the obvious choice.

      > Are these things you make yourself?

      My understanding is that it takes a little time to learn how to cut a
      proper pen, but once you've got the technique down it's a quick and
      fairly easy process. There are instructions in most comprehensive
      calligraphy books, as well as online <http://www.regia.org/quill2.htm>
      <http://www.flick.com/~liralen/quills/quills.html>. Art supply stores
      and educational outlets
      <http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
      Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PP808&Category_Code=cnp-projkits> sometimes
      offer quills for the purpose. I'm sure you could obtain feathers from
      a poultry farm, too. (Just remember that turkeys are North American
      birds; if you want to be really authentic, go for the geese.)

      > Is there somewhere to buy them?

      There are many sources for prepared quill pens. They're popular items
      for sale at museums
      <http://www.libertybellmuseum.com/MuseumShop/quillpengoose.htm> and
      living history exhibits
      <http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
      ProductView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=12113&catgroupId=15921>
      as well as at stationers' shops and art supply stores. Places that
      carry ritual supplies for pagans will often stock a few, and I suspect
      some of those that supply materials for Jewish ceremonies do, too.
      Just be sure you get a proper quill pen, and not a reamed-out feather
      with a brass nib fitted to it. And don't forget to keep a penknife on
      hand, to sharpen the tip as needed.

      > . . .are the dip pens still a somewhat accurate rendition of what was
      > used.. . .

      Metal nibs were rare, hand-crafted luxury items--more novelty items,
      really--until the second quarter of the 19th century
      <http://www.null-hypothesis.co.uk/article/110>
      <http://www.artmuseums.harvard.edu/fogg/drawingglossary.html>. Using
      one during the Renaissance was probably roughly analogous to using one
      of those beautiful blown-glass pens they sell in Murano today.
      Somebody, somewhere, has done it, but most folks, even those who write
      a lot, haven't. And, of course, the few metal-nibbed pens that did
      exist before 1600 weren't made of steel, as are modern nibs, so they
      looked and functioned quite differently. If your goal is authenticity,
      you should avoid modern calligraphy pens altogether.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Patrick Callahan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
        I KREYZE PADREYK HEREBY ATTEST THAT I MENTALLY STABLE
        AND REASONABLY SANE.

        I TESTIFY TO THIS ONLY TO SAY THE FOLLOWING:

        I ONCE SAW A HOBBIT IN A BUTTON SHOP AT AN SCA EVENT.
        MAYBE I AM A LITTLE LAX ON MY AUTHENTICITY STANDARD
        AND I CERTAINLY WAS NOT HOLDING THIS HOBBIT TO THE
        GARB STANDARD I SET FOR MYSELF BUT IT SEEMED TO ME NOT
        SO INAPPROPRIATE AS LONG NOT EVERY WAS DOING IT. IT
        WAS AFTER A FASHION AN ATTEMPT AT MEDIEVAL CLOTHING.
        ALTHOUGH THE RESEARCH WAS MORE DRAMATICAL AND
        THEATRICAL IN NATURE THAN BASE ON HARD HISTORICAL
        FACTS.

        Kreyze Padreyk
      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
          Patrick Callahan <naspiritwalker@...> wrote:
          I KREYZE PADREYK HEREBY ATTEST Snipped
          I ONCE SAW A HOBBIT - GOOD STUFF SNIPPED FOR THE SAKE OF BREVITY - ALTHOUGH THE RESEARCH WAS MORE DRAMATICAL AND
          THEATRICAL IN NATURE THAN BASE ON HARD HISTORICAL
          FACTS.

          .

          Comment
          Ah, but that hobbit was only following what I undertsand to be one of the SCA's very earliest traditions - when many of the Founding population of what became The Kingdom Of The West chose their personas from the "fantasy" and "sword & sorcery" stories being written by many of the early members; - many of whom are still "playing", these decades later, though some are gone before us - the immortal Marion Zimmer Bradley [neƩ Marion Breen, may God be good to her, - for example, who proposed the SCA name in 1967 IIRC], leaving a wonderful heritage behind for us to enjoy - and to thank her for on the Shining Fields, where we shall al meet again, in the Service of The Light.

          This humble veteran soldier believes that such diversity is one of the great strengths of the Society.

          In Service to the Light, and to Our dream,
          Lord Matthew Baker.

        • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 6, 2008
            Hmmm. Very interesting - thanks for the information! I am tempted to beat myself against the cliffs of authenticity like an ocean wave crashing against the rocks - in plain english - to try my skills against certain standards. But I am the Bionic Re=enactor! Ziddina

            From: Michele Bouchard <angeisdescent@...>
            Ziddina asked: Does anyone know which Kingdom is the most intensely
            dedicated to authenticity?

            This is a curious question, although I admit my inter-Kingdom anthropology is terribly rusty.

            I can only speak for two kingdoms so far (Caid and Ansteorra), since that's all Ive lived in, but as I recall my home Kingdom of Caid was very supportive of those seeking to further their persona research, and make that commitment to try for a more authentic persona. I remember the Pas de Arms tournament becoming very popular amoungst the fighters, which was a documentable form of combat 'practice.' (Ill say here and now I am not a combatant of any kind, so my terminology might be sorely lacking.) I also saw a resurgence of period-looking headgear, period footwear, and even period ornamentation.....suddenly Wal-Mart belts and chunky necklaces that were 'passable' were absent in favor of beautifully hand-crafted bronze-cast plaque belts and gorgeous 'initials' chains draping across men's shoulders. It seemed to happen overnight, but I know it was only after a renewed interest in research and artistic expression (and lots and lots of hard work!) I have not really
            gotten involved with the local A&S community here in Ansteorra just yet.....it's a massive Kingdom compared to what Im used to! lol

            Namaste,

            Sunayna