On a related note.. [Was: Arts & Sciences SCA Yahoo Groups for further info]

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
      I have two A&S/period related questions on two different topics,
      Calligraphy and Sewing.

      First; my boyfriend just made me a gorgeous wooden box to hold the
      cacophony of calligraphy supplies I have (from felt pens, to dip pens,
      paper, gold pain, gold leaf.. you name it I probably have it). Highly
      encouraging me to continue exploring period calligraphy (most of my
      time has been spent copying Celtic knot work from the book of Kells
      and other sources).

      I think period ink is a bit too far for me to jump into directly,
      however I'm sure that my dip pens are extremely modern versions of
      such. I would be really interested in period types of pens. Are these
      things you make yourself? Is there somewhere to buy them? Or since we
      use ballpoint pens now, are the dip pens still a somewhat accurate
      rendition of what was used.

      Second; I have found it nearly impossible (in my local sewing shops)
      to find anything but polyester thread. There is one, small sewing
      shop, on the other side of town that sells 100% cotton thread, but
      linen or wool thread is nowhere to be found. So far all of my (outer)
      garb is linen, while under-garb is cotton, (with the exception of some
      poorly advised 'wench outfits' I made first, which while cute and
      functional, I will retire to loaner garb or pirate night at the local
      bar).

      Is there a website where one can order thread that is linen or wool.
      Or even cotton... (the store I Found it, it was very spendy).

      Thanks guys, I am really appreciating this authenticity discussion.

      Rose Atherton
      An Tir
      Adiantum
      (A newcomer who has never been harassed for using inauthentic garb)

      PS. My personae tend from between Mid 14th Century to 16th Century
      England, depending on which of my garb I feel like wearing. (Some day
      I will either narrow it down, or create two distinct personas. Some day)
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
        Rose Atherton wrote:
        > I would be really interested in period types of pens.

        > My personae tend from between Mid 14th Century to 16th Century
        > England. . .

        Well, the quill pen had long been standard by the 14th century and
        remained so through the 16th, so if you're looking for tools to suit
        your persona, that's the obvious choice.

        > Are these things you make yourself?

        My understanding is that it takes a little time to learn how to cut a
        proper pen, but once you've got the technique down it's a quick and
        fairly easy process. There are instructions in most comprehensive
        calligraphy books, as well as online <http://www.regia.org/quill2.htm>
        <http://www.flick.com/~liralen/quills/quills.html>. Art supply stores
        and educational outlets
        <http://www.corpsrediscovery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
        Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PP808&Category_Code=cnp-projkits> sometimes
        offer quills for the purpose. I'm sure you could obtain feathers from
        a poultry farm, too. (Just remember that turkeys are North American
        birds; if you want to be really authentic, go for the geese.)

        > Is there somewhere to buy them?

        There are many sources for prepared quill pens. They're popular items
        for sale at museums
        <http://www.libertybellmuseum.com/MuseumShop/quillpengoose.htm> and
        living history exhibits
        <http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/
        ProductView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=12113&catgroupId=15921>
        as well as at stationers' shops and art supply stores. Places that
        carry ritual supplies for pagans will often stock a few, and I suspect
        some of those that supply materials for Jewish ceremonies do, too.
        Just be sure you get a proper quill pen, and not a reamed-out feather
        with a brass nib fitted to it. And don't forget to keep a penknife on
        hand, to sharpen the tip as needed.

        > . . .are the dip pens still a somewhat accurate rendition of what was
        > used.. . .

        Metal nibs were rare, hand-crafted luxury items--more novelty items,
        really--until the second quarter of the 19th century
        <http://www.null-hypothesis.co.uk/article/110>
        <http://www.artmuseums.harvard.edu/fogg/drawingglossary.html>. Using
        one during the Renaissance was probably roughly analogous to using one
        of those beautiful blown-glass pens they sell in Murano today.
        Somebody, somewhere, has done it, but most folks, even those who write
        a lot, haven't. And, of course, the few metal-nibbed pens that did
        exist before 1600 weren't made of steel, as are modern nibs, so they
        looked and functioned quite differently. If your goal is authenticity,
        you should avoid modern calligraphy pens altogether.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
          I KREYZE PADREYK HEREBY ATTEST THAT I MENTALLY STABLE
          AND REASONABLY SANE.

          I TESTIFY TO THIS ONLY TO SAY THE FOLLOWING:

          I ONCE SAW A HOBBIT IN A BUTTON SHOP AT AN SCA EVENT.
          MAYBE I AM A LITTLE LAX ON MY AUTHENTICITY STANDARD
          AND I CERTAINLY WAS NOT HOLDING THIS HOBBIT TO THE
          GARB STANDARD I SET FOR MYSELF BUT IT SEEMED TO ME NOT
          SO INAPPROPRIATE AS LONG NOT EVERY WAS DOING IT. IT
          WAS AFTER A FASHION AN ATTEMPT AT MEDIEVAL CLOTHING.
          ALTHOUGH THE RESEARCH WAS MORE DRAMATICAL AND
          THEATRICAL IN NATURE THAN BASE ON HARD HISTORICAL
          FACTS.

          Kreyze Padreyk
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 5, 2008
            Patrick Callahan <naspiritwalker@...> wrote:
            I KREYZE PADREYK HEREBY ATTEST Snipped
            I ONCE SAW A HOBBIT - GOOD STUFF SNIPPED FOR THE SAKE OF BREVITY - ALTHOUGH THE RESEARCH WAS MORE DRAMATICAL AND
            THEATRICAL IN NATURE THAN BASE ON HARD HISTORICAL
            FACTS.

            .

            Comment
            Ah, but that hobbit was only following what I undertsand to be one of the SCA's very earliest traditions - when many of the Founding population of what became The Kingdom Of The West chose their personas from the "fantasy" and "sword & sorcery" stories being written by many of the early members; - many of whom are still "playing", these decades later, though some are gone before us - the immortal Marion Zimmer Bradley [neƩ Marion Breen, may God be good to her, - for example, who proposed the SCA name in 1967 IIRC], leaving a wonderful heritage behind for us to enjoy - and to thank her for on the Shining Fields, where we shall al meet again, in the Service of The Light.

            This humble veteran soldier believes that such diversity is one of the great strengths of the Society.

            In Service to the Light, and to Our dream,
            Lord Matthew Baker.

          • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2008
              Hmmm. Very interesting - thanks for the information! I am tempted to beat myself against the cliffs of authenticity like an ocean wave crashing against the rocks - in plain english - to try my skills against certain standards. But I am the Bionic Re=enactor! Ziddina

              From: Michele Bouchard <angeisdescent@...>
              Ziddina asked: Does anyone know which Kingdom is the most intensely
              dedicated to authenticity?

              This is a curious question, although I admit my inter-Kingdom anthropology is terribly rusty.

              I can only speak for two kingdoms so far (Caid and Ansteorra), since that's all Ive lived in, but as I recall my home Kingdom of Caid was very supportive of those seeking to further their persona research, and make that commitment to try for a more authentic persona. I remember the Pas de Arms tournament becoming very popular amoungst the fighters, which was a documentable form of combat 'practice.' (Ill say here and now I am not a combatant of any kind, so my terminology might be sorely lacking.) I also saw a resurgence of period-looking headgear, period footwear, and even period ornamentation.....suddenly Wal-Mart belts and chunky necklaces that were 'passable' were absent in favor of beautifully hand-crafted bronze-cast plaque belts and gorgeous 'initials' chains draping across men's shoulders. It seemed to happen overnight, but I know it was only after a renewed interest in research and artistic expression (and lots and lots of hard work!) I have not really
              gotten involved with the local A&S community here in Ansteorra just yet.....it's a massive Kingdom compared to what Im used to! lol

              Namaste,

              Sunayna