coat of arms

  • wayne_schlapkohl
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      I'm a complete newbie at this, so excuse a naive question. My wife just
      received a copy of her coat of arms from a heraldry site. She was a bit
      sceptical though saying, "I come from a long line of peasants and
      farmers. Why would my family need a coat of arms?" I don't have an
      answer. Did even relatively rare names or names of people in lower
      economic statuses have coat of arms. That would include my name too. I
      think I too come from a long line of peasants.

      Thanks in advance,

      Wayne
    • Jibra'il 'Attar.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
        Wayne:
        > I'm a complete newbie at this, so excuse a naive question. My wife just
        > received a copy of her coat of arms from a heraldry site. She was a bit
        > sceptical though saying, "I come from a long line of peasants and
        > farmers. Why would my family need a coat of arms?" I don't have an
        > answer. Did even relatively rare names or names of people in lower
        > economic statuses have coat of arms. That would include my name too. I
        > think I too come from a long line of peasants.

        [herald mode ON]

        The one thing to forewarn about those "get your family coat of arms"
        sites is that they don't give you the full story. An award of arms
        (and the resulting coat of arms) is always granted to an
        individual...not a family line. Now, with that said, there ARE
        inherited arms, but that follows the traditional route of being passed
        to the eldest son.

        [herald mode OFF]

        [geneologist mode ON]

        As to the origin of an award of arms in a family of peasants and
        farmers...well, I just can't speak to that. That's certainly a bit of
        history that would be fun to uncover!

        [geneologist mode OFF]]

        [herald mode ON (again)]

        As for that coat of arms your wife procured, please note that she will
        not be able to register it with the SCA College of Heralds...as that
        would be a presumptuous claim to real life armory. Now, there are ways
        of using elements from said coat of arms and creating something
        uniquely hers for use in the SCA though. I've helped a few clients
        with such an endeavor in the past.

        [herald mode OFF (finally)]

        Jibra'il.
      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
          Just because there is a coat of arms for "your" name doesn't mean
          that you are in any way qualified to it.

          These companies 'research" by looking for a name match, nothing
          more... Some names have multiple coats of arms from the same modern
          country or from different modern countries.

          Most of us don't have a patrilineal line of decent for many
          generations, and our surname only goes back a short way. People who
          were protected by a "King" would often take that name.

          Why do you think your name is rare? Are you the only ones you know,
          have they died out in the area you come from? Many names that are
          rare here and now, were common somewhere and sometime.

          labhaoise

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "wayne_schlapkohl" <wayne.s@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > I'm a complete newbie at this, so excuse a naive question. My wife
          just
          > received a copy of her coat of arms from a heraldry site. She was a
          bit
          > sceptical though saying, "I come from a long line of peasants and
          > farmers. Why would my family need a coat of arms?" I don't have an
          > answer. Did even relatively rare names or names of people in lower
          > economic statuses have coat of arms. That would include my name
          too. I
          > think I too come from a long line of peasants.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Wayne

        • Carrie McGinnis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
            Wayne--

            I'm also an SCA Newbie, but my Aunt does geneology and has for as long as I
            can remember. Listen to the man who kept turning his internal herald and/or
            geneologist on and off. If you really want to know your family's coat of
            arms, you'll have to trace your line backwards and find out what happened.
            As a personal example of this, I can share with you that there are a lot of
            McGinnis's and none of us spells it the same, related or not, and more to
            the point, most of us are not relatives, not even distant. And, for that
            matter, if you understand how naming goes, nobody ever made a living at beer
            at any point in my pedigree. ;-)

            Now, as the girlfriend of a herald, I can assure you that the advise you've
            already received is correct -- no matter how well researched, how many
            volumes of data, how many times someone had to Belfast or Northern Ireland
            in spite of recent civil unrest to confirm the accuracy of the claim, or how
            convincing you are on these points, you cannot register your family coat of
            arms as your own. The best course of action is to find a nice herald who
            will consent to be your friend and make one just for you. Then it can be
            truly your own, and you can elevate yourself in stature from a family of
            pesants to a newly created noble in the SCA. :D I promise you, it's great
            fun!

            --Carrie

            On Jan 2, 2008 3:04 PM, wayne_schlapkohl <wayne.s@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > I'm a complete newbie at this, so excuse a naive question. My wife just
            > received a copy of her coat of arms from a heraldry site. She was a bit
            > sceptical though saying, "I come from a long line of peasants and
            > farmers. Why would my family need a coat of arms?" <interesting post
            > snipped short for the sake of expediency>

          • Signora Beatrice
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2008
              Greetings from Beatrice.

              --- Carrie McGinnis <furdreams@...> wrote:
              [MUCH SNIPPAGE]
              > The best course of action is to find a nice herald who
              > will consent to be your friend and make one just for you. Then it can be
              > truly your own, and you can elevate yourself in stature from a family of
              > pesants to a newly created noble in the SCA. :D I promise you, it's
              > great
              > fun!

              *with tongue FIRMLY in cheek*

              And finding heralds is SOOO difficult. There are NONE of us around, and
              none online, and no mailing lists or websites or anything USEFUL to get in
              touch with them.

              *takes tongue out of cheek*

              If you're interested in going this route (which I recommend highly), look
              on your Kingdom website and look at the Herald for your Kingdom. Then
              email them. Ask them for a reference to someone in your area to consult
              with, or for a consulting table at an upcoming event. Heralds are happy
              to help, and ESPECIALLY happy to help BEFORE you get your heart set on
              something that won't work.

              Contrary to (occasionlly pouplar) belief, Heralds are not ogres, and we
              really do WANT to help you.

              In Service,
              Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
              Tree-Girt-Sea, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Sara L Uckelman
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                Quoth "wayne_schlapkohl":
                > I'm a complete newbie at this, so excuse a naive question. My wife just
                > received a copy of her coat of arms from a heraldry site. She was a bit
                > sceptical though saying, "I come from a long line of peasants and
                > farmers. Why would my family need a coat of arms?" I don't have an
                > answer. Did even relatively rare names or names of people in lower
                > economic statuses have coat of arms. That would include my name too. I
                > think I too come from a long line of peasants.

                Both you and your wife should check out this FAQ entry from the
                www.heraldica.org website:

                http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/mfaq

                This will probably explain some of the (prefectly correct!) skepticism
                that she had. Arms belonged to a person, not a family or a surname.

                -Aryanhwy

                --
                vita sine literis mors est
                http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Thanks a ton for those responses.

                  Labhaoise's comment has me curious now!

                  Labhaoise commented "Just because there is a coat of arms for "your"
                  name doesn't mean that you are in any way qualified to it. ...Why do
                  you think your name is rare? Are you the only ones you know, have
                  they died out in the area you come from? Many names that are rare
                  here and now, were common somewhere and sometime."

                  You are right, I know very few Schlapkohl(s) and I think I read once
                  there are only 90 in North America. But in Germany there may be many
                  more.

                  I am probably barking up a dead end here, and I've read the latter
                  comments that say if I am interested in a coat of arms I should speak
                  to a herald to help me design one of mine own. OK, I'm happy to do
                  that but, but, well I am curious if I come from the line of
                  Schlapkohls that once had the coat of arms I've seen (yes in malls
                  and heraldry web sites). Is there a way of finding out what
                  individual had been granted a coat of arms or is that just
                  impossible. Schlapkohl is an old name (the oldest reference I've seen
                  is the 1380s so were talking about some 700 years of relatives here),
                  so I would (maybe with some grumbling:) accept it if you folks
                  said "no, it's just impossible to do that kind of geneology."

                  Thanks again,

                  Wayne
                • Sara L Uckelman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Quoth "wayne_schlapkohl":
                    > and heraldry web sites). Is there a way of finding out what
                    > individual had been granted a coat of arms or is that just
                    > impossible.

                    It's possible, but sometimes difficult.

                    If the coat of arms was either granted by the English College
                    of Arms, or is something that was ratified by them, then it's
                    probably possible to find information in their records
                    (though those records are in general restricted in access).

                    Another way to find out whether someone with a particular
                    surname had a coat of arms would be to look through medieval
                    rolls of arms or armorials; these are page of arms, usually
                    in full achievement, listed with the bearer's name. The
                    Medieval Heraldry Archive, http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/,
                    has links to a number of armorials available in electronic
                    format. As libraries digitize their old books and manuscripts,
                    more of these armorials are becoming easily accessible.

                    -Aryanhwy

                    --
                    vita sine literis mors est
                    http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                      On Jan 2, 2008 9:17 PM, Signora Beatrice <signorabeatrice@...> wrote:

                      > [reluctant snippage of some very amusing content]

                      > Contrary to (occasionlly pouplar) belief, Heralds are not ogres, and we
                      > really do WANT to help you.

                      Pray tell who is spreading this nasty rumor?!!! I sent but one teensey
                      weensie little e-mail to one herald, and he sent it to one of those e-mail
                      lists you mentioned, and then forwarded close to 10 replies to me -- some
                      incredibly volumous -- within half a day. I've never seen such helpful
                      people!

                      *e-hugs random herald*

                      --Carrie

                    • Signora Beatrice
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                        --- Carrie McGinnis <furdreams@...> wrote:

                        > On Jan 2, 2008 9:17 PM, Signora Beatrice <signorabeatrice@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > [reluctant snippage of some very amusing content]
                        >
                        > > Contrary to (occasionlly pouplar) belief, Heralds are not ogres, and
                        > > we really do WANT to help you.
                        > >
                        > Pray tell who is spreading this nasty rumor?!!! I sent but one teensey
                        > weensie little e-mail to one herald, and he sent it to one of those
                        > e-mail lists you mentioned, and then forwarded close to 10 replies to
                        > me -- some incredibly volumous -- within half a day. I've never seen
                        > such helpful people!

                        Carrie, thank you for your support, and I'm glad you had such a positive
                        experience with the Heralds.

                        Unfortunately, there are a few things that can happen that lead to people
                        having a negative impression of heralds:

                        1) Running into a particularly crotchety herald (I've met them, they do
                        exist, but they're becoming more rare)

                        2) Getting your heart set on something that WILL NOT pass, and taking it
                        personally when the heralds tell you so (repeatedly).

                        3) Being told by a well meaning person one answer, and finding out later
                        from a herald that the answer you were given is wrong (see #2 above).

                        Heraldic registration in the SCA, thanks to the internet, is becoming more
                        and more a transparent process, which leads to more and better information
                        out there, and easy ways to debunk myths and misinformation before it
                        spreads too far. (I imagine this is true for any area of SCA research,
                        but with most areas, you don't have the Laurel Sovereign making judgement
                        on everyone's submissions.) The internet has also helped even the most
                        remote branches get access to the best Heralds in the world, making
                        research and shared knowledge easier (again, true for any discipline).

                        As I said before, Heralds are happy to help, anxious to help, and would be
                        overjoyed to be asked to help BEFORE you get your heart set on something,
                        so we can steer you towards more period sources and designs.

                        I would like to think that the overall impression that non-heralds have of
                        heralds is positive, and is becoming more positive over time. The College
                        of Arms is working for that, as is each Kingdom College of Heralds. I'm
                        glad to see, Carrie, that it is positive for you.

                        *sighs* Now if we could just take chips off shoulders and erase bad
                        memories of heralds-past....

                        In Service,
                        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
                        Tree-Girt-Sea, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?