Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Thanks to many Laurels and Garb Mavens (was Nazis, real, garb, and soup

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2007
      Riiiight On! I'm going to post a long reply in a bit, sorry 'bout that, that mentions a few tidbits and a bit of (hopefully useful) advice for Newcomers. Ziddina

      From: Grainne ingen Lugdach <grainneinatlantia@...>
      --- Ziddinaaitzumar@... wrote:

      > Very rarely have I actually been confronted by
      > anyone regarding my garb.
      You know, I've been very fortunate in this area, I
      guess. Although I heard warnings about garb snarks and
      such when I joined 5 or 6 years ago, I can't recall
      anyone ever saying anything snarky to me about what I
      was wearing. While I strive for a certain amount of
      authenticity with some of my clothing, I have a number
      of outfits (especially in my Pennsic wardrobe) that
      are all kinds of wrong. The closest I've come to
      snarking is some good-natured ribbing from my
      belt-sister (now a Laurel for her research into
      Moorish Spain), who still snarks a pair of socks that
      I wear occasionally (they're green, with white sheep
      printed all over; I wear them with a green dress, so
      they match *grin*). And she had the vapors over the
      fact that I wore Crocs at Pennsic. (They're just about
      the most comfortable things I've ever had on my feet,
      great for walking. And with the Pennsic dust and/or
      mud, footwear that can be easily hosed off in the
      shower isn't a bad thing IMHO.)

      > sure, you may be absolutely correct in
      > saying that "Pink didn't exist among the Norsemen!"

      Well, actually... ;-) They had reds and purples, so
      pink isn't out of the realm of possibilities for
      "Viking"-age Norse. Lots of folks still have the
      notion that pink is wrong for most of the SCA period,
      when it's a color that can indeed be produced with
      natural dyes and mordants...even some screaming
      "hot"-type pinks!

      Yours in service,
      Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Shire of Roxbury Mill, Atlantia