OT Flu string, was: Nazis, real, garb, and soup

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2007
      Dianne & Greg Stucki <goofy4@...> wrote:
      > >So I take it that you have sufficient medical training to
      > >distinguish in common conversation which person is suffering from
      > >the actual dreaded influenza (which said most deadly strain has gone
      > >underground for now)?? As opposed to which person is simply ill from
      > >an unnamed ailment?? And you take umbrage if said suffer is so
      > >ill-informed as to mis-state the name of their ailment??

      Influenza is a fast mutating virus, in any season there are several
      strains active, most are new, some arise during that season. As it
      mutates, some viruses are more virulent(contagous) than others,
      resultiing in more sick people(and if more elderly and young are sick,
      more die). An example of this is one of those years when it seems
      everyone is sick with the flu.

      In other seasons, it may be more deadly, but far less virulent,
      resulting in fewer people ill, but more of the people falling sick
      dying. An example would be "bird flu" which is very contagous if you
      happen to be a chicken kept in an unhygenic coop, but does not pass at
      all well to humans or between them, so few become ill but most die from
      it!

      And every now and then, we get a year where there is a strain both
      virulent and deadly, then we get a pandemic with thousands if not
      millions dying. An example of this is the "Spanish Flu" of 1918 when
      between 50 and 100 million people died world wide. The spread is so
      wide because so many died, not only of the flu but because everything
      else failed in some areas.

      Well, all that being said, most people who say "Oh, I had the flu".
      probably had the common cold, the flu when you get it, even in the
      least deadly strains, will make one pretty ill for a fairly long period
      of time(say weeks!). But, if you listen carefully to what one says
      about thier illness, you can probably make a good guess(without special
      medical training) as to whether they have/had the flu or something
      else....

      Within those, they may have had a something else that makes you as ill
      as the flu, and may even started with the flu, say bronchitis or
      pneumonia.... which could start with a flu or cold virus, or not even
      be viral in nature.....
      Labhaoise