Re: First Event

  • katfletcher
    Message 1 of 2565 , Mar 31, 2001
      My first event was during my first year of
      college some 17 years ago. One of my friends had been to
      an event before coming to school and was all gung-ho
      to get us active. We did a little bit around the
      campus but then in the spring we actually got up the
      nerve to go to an event. It was a Coronation and my
      friend loaned me her first set of garb since she had
      made some new for the event. It was just a long
      peasant skirt and blouse. I had a funky sort of middle
      eastern style necklace that I draped on my head. That and
      a piece of wool fabric draped for a cloak did it.
      The event was beyond my wildest imagination! The King
      rode in on a White horse and the Queen was carried in
      under a canopy. There was a live chess game and I will
      always remember how the Knight who was the white queen
      played up the part! It was at some sort of religous
      school and there was a large hall where we had feast
      that really looked the part. I had bought a wooden
      bowl and little pewter goblet during the day. A
      gentleman was talking to someone at my table while standing
      behind me, so he just started rubbing my shoulders! It
      was the merchant I had bought my feast gear from! I
      always think of that day when I see Master Hilati at
      events these days.<br>We went on to hold a couple of
      smaller events at our college and then a larger real
      event. I was head cook for that one and we had to drive
      all the food a block away in the back of a Chevette
      to the feast site! Still it went well and we had a
      great time. After all that, I was hooked and even
      became Seneschal of our little group.<br>After I
      graduated and had to move on and face the world, I only
      waited a couple of months to get settled before seeking
      out the local group. It has been a long time since my
      first event but I still remember it well.<br>I have a
      co-worker who is interested and I am trying to help him and
      his wife get started. Actually, I just got back from
      St. Vinnies where I found a nice pair of ceramic
      goblets and I know I have some spare wooden bowls
      somewhere. I don't know it I can produce a King on horseback
      for them, though!<br><br>Kathryn
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003