RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • PATRICIA BENTLEY
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      I was told that broad cloth and linen make for good period cloth and you can usually get broadcloth for about 1.99-3.99 a yard at your local Joann fabrics linen usually goes for a bit more and woolen even more. another makes a good fabric for summer is muslin and I bought 15 yard for 14.00 at joanns on the bolt if any one has any other ideas I am open to possiblities.
      gisele

      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: bhadradharma@...: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:18:12 -0600Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

      Oh I forgot one extremely good linkhttp://members.cox.net/moirandalls/patterns.htm#capes-------Original Message-------From: Oakes, GeorgeDate: 12/4/2007 9:33:01 AMTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and CapeI know sheets while they make good cheap garb, are not period as far asthe cloth is concerened.What would be a more period cloth substitute that one could still getfrom a place such as this(thirft store/goodwill). I looked at curtains,but most are made from similar "sheet" type cloth.And as I am new to the sca, money is a very important factor in thishobby/lifestyle and I have been put on a pretty thin budget for the SCA,by my financial advisor, a.k.a. my wife/spouse.ThanksGavin________________________________From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Carrie McGinnisSent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:00 AMTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and CapeCongratulations and good work! I also practice new patterns and such onsheets from my local thrift store. I find that it is extremelyaffordable,it hurts less if I make a mistake, and besides, they're just so darnedniceto touch! :-)--CarrieYahoo! Groups Links[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Annie
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>