Re: home away from home (was: Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape)

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      Twenty years ago a group in my Barony split over "differences", today
      they are still on (vocally) opposite sides. Some of them don't even
      know what CAUSED the split, but they KNOW the other group is WRONG!

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      <Coblaith@...> wrote:

      > Gavin wrote:
      > > Our local Barony, has been ok. . .not that encouraging or
      welcoming..
      > > . .I have communicated with other folks from neighboring barony's
      and
      > > felt more comfortable with them, than my own local group.
      >
      > Sometimes, people find they just fit into one branch better than
      > another, especially in areas where the branches are smaller and
      > therefore less diverse. It might be because one is more welcoming,
      or
      > because the members of one are more interested in a given activity
      or
      > period, or because things in one are more laid-back or better
      > structured, or for a variety of other reasons. Fortunately, it is
      not
      > only permissible but completely acceptable for you to make
      your "home
      > branch" (i.e., the branch where you regularly attend meetings and
      > events, participate in guilds, and volunteer your time) any branch
      you
      > like. It needn't be the one in whose territory you reside.
      >
      > The only caveat is that some awards might be available only through
      > your "official" branch, depending on your kingdom's rules and
      policies.
      > For instance, if you live in the Barony of Broonswaggle, it's
      possible
      > that, should the Crown decide to award you arms, only the Baron
      and/or
      > Baroness of Broonswaggle can present the award. If you feel
      > comfortable and welcomed in the Shire of Thimbledrip and
      uncomfortable
      > and unwelcomed in Broonswaggle, however, I'd say, hang the awards
      and
      > go have fun.
      >

      > Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      > Kingdom of Ansteorra
      > <mailto:Coblaith@...>

    • Annie
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>