Re: [SCA Newcomers] Arriving in mundanes? and, Persona help?

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 4, 2007
      Okay, I have to ask - especially since I seriously considered a Mongolian persona - may still obtain one as a secondary persona - how is it that they live in a climate that is cold (actually very close to the climate of Denver, Colorado - slightly colder, perhaps slightly drier) yet don't wear boots that enable them to walk in the snow?? Were their camps (gers) positioned in areas with little snowfall, or does the strong prairie wind blow it away?? P.S. If you want to see a good book on boots from a snowy area, check out "Spirit of Siberia - Traditional Native Life, Clothing and Footwear" by Jill Oakes and Rick Riewe. The Siberian boots are also flat-soled - many pix of the natives wearing them in snow. Haven't finished reading the book yet - wonder if they use pine resin or animal oils to give the sole more traction on snow??

      From: Wolfy <littlegraywolf@...>
      There are two things mongolian boots are bad for.... Running on snow
      (bottom has no traction) and driving (you can not move your foot at
      the ankle)
      Mongolian Boots photo: http://nycmongol.com/item.html?show=7&id=k020004

      ~Wolfy

    • kathyg@hiwaay.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 26, 2008
        Greetings,

        I am interested in transportation to and from Gulf War.

        I just thought there may be a new person with a vehicle and NO gas money that
        may be interested in teaming up with a veteran with some gas money, but NO
        vehicle. Also, I would be glad to give some guidance in helping you attend
        your first War.

        After being in the SCA for about 20 years, I have the grab, camping equipment,
        and all that stuff, but my mini-van is worn out and does not run any more, and
        being on disablity, I am not able to afford a replacement. So, I am wondering,
        if anyone is looking for an additional passager that can help pay for the gas?
        I am located in Huntsville, Alabama, just off I-65, which runs between
        Nashville, Tn and Birmingham, Alabama. If your route to Gulf Wars takes you
        close by, and you would like to pick up another paying passager, I would like
        to talk with you about working out some transportation. Since I do not work, I
        am open to going any day, the earlyer in the week, the better.

        Thank you,

        Alara

        Lady Alara MacGregor of Perth
        Kingdom of Meridies