RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      One thing I want to emphasize strongly is that you don't need to buy expensive fabrics made from all-natural fibers to look "Period". As stated in the "Known World Handbook", page 38, under "Translating Mundane Necessities into Medieval Grace", "Look for things made of natural materials, or made to resemble them, [emphasis mine] like ...cloth that drapes well in soft, natural colors. It [again, emphasis mine] doesn't matter if the metal is aluminum or the cloth polyester, as long as the general appearance is right."

      This same subheading goes on to state: "Then, consider money. In the SCA you are assumed to be a member of the Nobility, [I've heard it phrased as the 'Gentry', meaning not of Royal or Noble blood, but definitely above the peasantry!] a class which was typically richer for its era than you probably are for yours... and many of the things they valued are (in relative terms) just as expensive now as they were then. But all you need is the appearance. This means that you can substitute simulated gold and gems for the real thing, [again, emphasis mine] cotton or even artificial fibers for linen or silk, and so on."

      (Being a bit of a nonconformist, and also being Irish - love a fight! - I went round and round with the Laurels in our area debating the relative positions of "purist" versus "practicality". They really looooved me!)

      One thing - if you're going to buy upholstery material, watch out for the stuff that has a 'rubberized' backing - I've used it for simple garb, like an Amazigh (North African Berber) fringed shawl (had to make the fringe out of another fabric because the rubberized backing kept it from fraying) but for garments that you'll wear during the warmer months and/or close to the skin, use something more comfortable. If the weather at the event is especially hot, the rubberized stuff is MISerable!!!

      From: "Bhadra" <bhadradharma@...>
      Most period garb was from wool or linen. Out here we use a lot of cheap
      cotton, like broadcloth for tunics and pants.
      Sheets are great because they are cotton. (which, there was cotton from
      Egypt back then, sent on the trade routes from the Holy Land) Muslin is also
      really good, unbleached muslin is fairly cheap. Ultrasuede is good and so
      are fake furs. If you have a Joanne's Fabrics (or other local fabric
      store) get on their email list and get their coupons, they always have some
      great deals. Also check out upholstery fabric stores, they always have
      clearance sales.... Unless you have a garb Nazi looking over your shoulder you should be able to get some good stuff out of them. .....

      Gavin wrote: "I know sheets while they make good cheap garb, are not period as far as the cloth is concerened."

      What would be a more period cloth substitute that one could still get
      from a place such as this(thirft store/goodwill). I looked at curtains,
      but most are made from similar "sheet" type cloth.

      And as I am new to the sca, money is a very important factor in this
      hobby/lifestyle and I have been put on a pretty thin budget for the SCA,
      by my financial advisor, a.k.a. my wife/spouse.

      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>