Re: [SCA Newcomers] Arriving in mundanes? and, Persona help?

  • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 4, 2007
      I agree, driving in Italian Ren is not easy. Some of the more unusual hazards in arriving in garb that I've run into are: Having to put on my hoop petticoat (Elizabethan garb) in the parking lot - free show!! (I have to make sure I'm wearing my 'pantaloons' underneath!). Having to make sure the "vanes" or "tabs" on my bodice are flipped up or down to protect the embroidery and pearls on the Elizabethan outfits. Having driven to an event in hiking clothes past several really great hiking trails and strenuously resist the temptation to just go hiking rather than get into my "Doja (spelling?)" sleeved red velvet Italian Ren dress (2 yards of red velvet per sleeve) with underdress, underskirt, chemise. Being aware (and wary!) of any anti-Middle Eastern sentiments if dining in a truck stop anywhere that there might be ill-informed rednecks (have never been actually hassled, but have received some very hard stares) who might cause trouble.

      I really enjoy hiking, so if I go in hiking clothes I'm really, really likely not to make it to the event! (The song, "Freaking the Mundanes", happens to mention our area, Outlands - specifically I-25. Wonder if it originated here???)

      Bulgarelli Maria wrote: A lot of times I drive to an event in mundanes because
      I want to be able to offload stuff easily and not
      worry about getting my garb dirty. Also, I personally
      have a 14th Century Italian persona. It's not easy to
      drive in Italian Ren. At least not for women.

      Maria
      --- Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>

    • kathyg@hiwaay.net
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 26, 2008
        Greetings,

        I am interested in transportation to and from Gulf War.

        I just thought there may be a new person with a vehicle and NO gas money that
        may be interested in teaming up with a veteran with some gas money, but NO
        vehicle. Also, I would be glad to give some guidance in helping you attend
        your first War.

        After being in the SCA for about 20 years, I have the grab, camping equipment,
        and all that stuff, but my mini-van is worn out and does not run any more, and
        being on disablity, I am not able to afford a replacement. So, I am wondering,
        if anyone is looking for an additional passager that can help pay for the gas?
        I am located in Huntsville, Alabama, just off I-65, which runs between
        Nashville, Tn and Birmingham, Alabama. If your route to Gulf Wars takes you
        close by, and you would like to pick up another paying passager, I would like
        to talk with you about working out some transportation. Since I do not work, I
        am open to going any day, the earlyer in the week, the better.

        Thank you,

        Alara

        Lady Alara MacGregor of Perth
        Kingdom of Meridies