RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • Bhadra
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      Most period garb was from wool or linen. Out here we use a lot of cheap
      cotton, like broadcloth for tunics and pants.
      Sheets are great because they are cotton. (which, there was cotton from
      Egypt back then, sent on the trade routes from the Holy Land) Muslin is also
      really good, unbleached muslin is fairly cheap. Ultrasuede is good and so
      are fake furs. If you have a Joanne's Fabrics (or other local fabric
      store) get on their email list and get their coupons, they always have some
      great deals. Also check out upholstery fabric stores, they always have
      clearance sales.

      For something a little fancier, panne velvet is a cheaper velvet if you can
      get it in the right weight.
      There are some excellent historical patterns here: and Simplicity and
      McCalls have just last year and this come out with a full line of costume
      patterns that can be adapted easily and not be too far oop. Unless you have
      a garb Nazi looking over your shoulder you should be able to get some good
      stuff out of them.

      Try:
      Simplicity Pattern # 3638 for drawstring pants and tunics
      #8587 has an arming cap, pants, tunic, shortcape and gilliebrogues as well
      as some other peasant garb
      #4942 has some nice overtunics and boots.
      #0614 Has Capes and cloaks
      McCalls Pattern #M4805 is hats

      These sites have Historic Patterns and fabric...also, check out ebay!!!!
      http://www.sewingcentral.com/
      http://www.lostcoasthistpatterns.com/
      http://www.costumes.org/advice/1pages/pattern_links.htm
      http://www.wingeo.com/100Series.htm
      http://www.wingeo.com/InvPrice.htm
      http://www.wingeo.com/patterns/100series/patrn105.jpg

      You might want to check out this book
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0896762394/thecostumersmani
      I agree that Wal-Mart has great deals!!
      Hope this helps.
      Ro`isi`n
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>