RE: [SCA Newcomers] Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • Boxcars
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      Check at your local Walmart stores. Some of the time you caan find great material for a buck a yard.

      "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote: I know sheets while they make good cheap garb, are not period as far as
      the cloth is concerened.

      What would be a more period cloth substitute that one could still get
      from a place such as this(thirft store/goodwill). I looked at curtains,
      but most are made from similar "sheet" type cloth.

      And as I am new to the sca, money is a very important factor in this
      hobby/lifestyle and I have been put on a pretty thin budget for the SCA,
      by my financial advisor, a.k.a. my wife/spouse.

      Thanks
      Gavin

      ________________________________

      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>