RE: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2007
      I have yet to go to an event. Our local Barony, has been ok, I have
      asked about loaner garb, but the response I had been looking for was not
      that encouraging or welcoming. Gave me the feeling that we were not all
      that welcome, and while we were tollerated, we were not taken by the
      hand, and shown around. These are just my observations mind you, and may
      not reflect the true spirit of the group.
      I have communicated with other folks from neighboring barony's and felt
      more comfortable with them, than my own local group.

      Anyway, I decided that if I was going to go to an event, I would just
      make my garb, instead of borrowing, and pray that I wasn't laughed at to
      badly.

      YIS
      Gavin

      ________________________________

      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>