Re: Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • Eva
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 3, 2007
      Your garb looks awesome!! I admire the great deals you found along
      the way and your ability to do this with no experience.

      I just made my first tunics and went to my first event last month.
      These people are so cool!!

      -Eva,
      leaning toward an alignment with the Shire of Rokkehealden

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...> wrote:

      > greetings group,
      >
      > This newcomer, has finished his first Tunic, and Cape. By cruzing
      the
      > thrift store, and the good will store, I was able to locate fabric
      on
      > the cheap! A large round green tablecloth was easily turned into a
      > cape, and a Green cotton queen sized top sheet is the tunic. The
      plaid
      > fabric was a set of cloth curtains which I cut into strips for the
      trim.

      > A sewing machine found on Freecycle, and some thread, needle,
      bobbins,
      > and pins, from Michaels completed the list of items required to
      make
      > this garb. I posted pictures in the photos section, under Gavin
      > Kinkade's Tunic and Stuff
      >
      > I also made the Chainmaile coif last month by purchasing materials
      from
      > TheRingLord.com, I used Bright Aluminum for the coif so it
      wouldn't be
      > to heavy, and hurt after a day of wearing.
      >
      > Now to find some more period fabric...
      >
      > It is real simple once you get started, newcomers be not afraid!
      > If a 40 year old man, who never used a sewing machine in his life
      can
      > make a tunic, so can you :)
      >
      > Peace all
      > Gavin Kinkade
      > Barony of Marcaster

    • Annie
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>