Huzahh, I Finished my first Tunic, and Cape

  • George
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 3, 2007
      greetings group,

      This newcomer, has finished his first Tunic, and Cape. By cruzing the
      thrift store, and the good will store, I was able to locate fabric on
      the cheap! A large round green tablecloth was easily turned into a
      cape, and a Green cotton queen sized top sheet is the tunic. The plaid
      fabric was a set of cloth curtains which I cut into strips for the trim.

      A sewing machine found on Freecycle, and some thread, needle, bobbins,
      and pins, from Michaels completed the list of items required to make
      this garb. I posted pictures in the photos section, under Gavin
      Kinkade's Tunic and Stuff

      I also made the Chainmaile coif last month by purchasing materials from
      TheRingLord.com, I used Bright Aluminum for the coif so it wouldn't be
      to heavy, and hurt after a day of wearing.

      Now to find some more period fabric...

      It is real simple once you get started, newcomers be not afraid!
      If a 40 year old man, who never used a sewing machine in his life can
      make a tunic, so can you :)

      Peace all
      Gavin Kinkade
      Barony of Marcaster
    • Annie
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 22, 2007
        --It's great that you were able to find many treasures to make your
        garb with. A couple years ago through an associate,I was shown how to
        make a t tunic dress with a couple different types of sleeves. I made
        myself one and one for each of my daughters. My oldest daughter at
        that time thought they were awesome.(We attended an event only this
        one time)...... She is a very newcomer(2 weeks) to the whole SCA
        thing that I didnt know until recently that she has been going to
        meetings and fighter practice for archery. She quickly realized that
        the type of sleeves of her dress got quite in the way of the bow
        string. So off we go again to make a proper garb for her new
        interest. We are hoping we have it sewn by Jan. 26th. Wish us luck.
        Thanks .- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "George" <goakes@...>