Need the collective mind of SCAdians

  • louisgates2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2007
      Hi Everyone,
      I am currently investigating possible personas regarding my SCA
      identity.

      Here's my first question,
      I am a total Frankophile and do indeed suffer the slings and arrows
      of popular opinion in my mundane life, would I also be the object of
      Silly Frenchmen Monty Python jokes in the SCA?

      (your opinion in this decision will be highly regarded)

      Having said this, I am a bit thick skulled I am almost def going to
      go with a French persona and am prepared to defend myself culturally.
      (Got Spelling)

      Ok, here is where I really need your help.
      If I am going to be indeed French, I WANT A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY
      COOL SOUNDING NAME!!!!!

      I've done some research and havent found anything I like, so I'm
      looking for suggestions from the populace.

      Thank you in advance, Jason AKA some really cool French sounding
      thing!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
        Quoth "louisgates2001":
        > I am a total Frankophile and do indeed suffer the slings and arrows
        > of popular opinion in my mundane life, would I also be the object of
        > Silly Frenchmen Monty Python jokes in the SCA?
        >
        > (your opinion in this decision will be highly regarded)

        Probably at some point you will be -- Monty Python is very popular
        among SCAdians! However, I wouldn't let this stop you from picking
        a French persona, if that's where your interest lies. People will
        find something about *every* culture to make fun of! (I'm Welsh.
        People complain that Welsh has no vowels. (It does! You just need
        to realize that <y> and <w> are vowels! :)))

        > Ok, here is where I really need your help.
        > If I am going to be indeed French, I WANT A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY
        > COOL SOUNDING NAME!!!!!

        Oh, you are a herald's *dream*!!! Do you have a time period or
        a particular part of France in mind, or should we just go hog wild?
        (And have you browsed the articles in the Medieval Names Archive at
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml and
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/occitan.shtml ?)

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
          Quoth Sara L Uckelman:
          > Oh, you are a herald's *dream*!!! Do you have a time period or
          > a particular part of France in mind, or should we just go hog wild?

          *laugh* I responded to this before reading your second message, I
          didn't even realize the pun!

          Anyway, if you decide to go with a boar on your arms, I have the
          perfect suggestion for a surname -- <Le Verrat> (<verrat> is the
          French word for 'boar'). Then you would have canting arms -- arms
          which are a pun on your surname. <Le Verrat> can be found in early
          15th century Paris (see my "French Names from Paris, 1421, 1423, & 1438"
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/french/paris1423.html).

          So here are some thoughts...

          Alardin Le Verrat
          Denisot Le Verrat
          Gieffrin Le Verrat
          Josset Le Verrat
          Lyebault Le Verrat
          Regnault Le Verrat
          Thevenin Le Verrat
          Verain Le Verrat
          Ysambart Le Verrat

          All perfectly good 15th C French given names, and all horribly underused
          in the SCA.

          -Aryanhwy

          --
          vita sine literis mors est
          http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
            And the fact that welsh use every single letter in the alphabet to spell
            their words! Hedging bets maybe? (if we use every single one we cant be
            wrong!)

            Dmitrii

            > I am a total Frankophile and do indeed suffer the slings and arrows
            > of popular opinion in my mundane life, would I also be the object of
            > Silly Frenchmen Monty Python jokes in the SCA?
            >
            > (your opinion in this decision will be highly regarded)

            Probably at some point you will be -- Monty Python is very popular
            among SCAdians! However, I wouldn't let this stop you from picking
            a French persona, if that's where your interest lies. People will
            find something about *every* culture to make fun of! (I'm Welsh.
            People complain that Welsh has no vowels. (It does! You just need
            to realize that <y> and <w> are vowels! :)))

            > Ok, here is where I really need your help.
            > If I am going to be indeed French, I WANT A REALLY, REALLY, REALLY
            > COOL SOUNDING NAME!!!!!

            Oh, you are a herald's *dream*!!! Do you have a time period or
            a particular part of France in mind, or should we just go hog wild?
            (And have you browsed the articles in the Medieval Names Archive at
            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml and
            http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/occitan.shtml ?)

            -Aryanhwy

            --
            vita sine literis mors est
            http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/

          • freida
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 26, 2007
              a lot of people in SCA do the quoting of Monty Phython but nobody
              talks about the comedy of Pierre Aussedat, Frédéric Baptiste in the
              Movie "Visitor" yes it comes with subtitles. I watched in my Deviant
              class in college. it is a great laugh and should be viewed with friends.
              I wish you luck with looking for a name for yourself. I waited to long
              and was named Brunhilda from the comic strip.
              freida