S.C.A. for night-owls (was:Wood Working)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
      Patti (who mentioned in an earlier post that she's in the shire of
      Ravenslake, in the Middle Kingdom) wrote:
      > I am planning to go to my first EVENT. . .Maybe there are others that
      > do the night shift and can have meetings other than in the afternoon
      > when we sleep?. . .

      There are certainly other night-owls in the S.C.A. It's possible
      (especially if there are large employers in your area that run night
      shifts) that you could orchestrate a gathering of some sort for them.
      It might be best to wait until you've been to at least a few meetings
      and/or events before you suggest it, so that people know who you are.
      And I'd recommend you make it something with broad appeal, to catch as
      much interest as possible. A member of my barony holds "craft nights"
      at her home, for instance, where people bring whatever projects they've
      got in progress, regardless of medium, and chat and tell stories while
      they work on them. At the most recent meeting or two, some of our
      musicians have come to practice, and the meetings have gotten quite
      lively. Perhaps a mid-week "craft day" might work for your purposes.
      People who don't work outside the home, or who work half days, might
      join in as well.

      Where events are concerned, night-owls definitely have a niche to fill.
      When everybody else is winding down, they're wide awake and feeling
      fine (assuming they didn't get up early to get there). They're ideal
      choices to work wee-hours shifts at gate (called "troll" in some
      kingdoms), to wash dishes after a late feast, or to pick up fresh
      doughnuts with which to tempt others to stick around for clean-up on
      Sunday morning. They're also the ones who get the most out of
      late-night bardic circles and jam sessions, since they're not already
      half-asleep when those start. Attend a few overnight events, and
      you'll probably meet the other local night-owls in short order.

      By the way, it's a good idea to get into the mention your locale when
      you write to this list with questions. The answers will depend on
      where you are (especially in which kingdom you are) more often than you
      might think. If you get into the habit of including the info in your
      signature, you won't have to remember to add it when you make
      inquiries.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra