New as of last weekend

  • Eva
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 6, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the SCA experience - not officially a member yet, but I
      went to my first event last Saturday - All Saints event in Roselle,
      IL, hosted by Shire of Vanished Wood. It was REALLY cool - I got to
      eat at an amazing feast, and I got to see court and say hello to the
      Midlands king and queen. And the friendliness level was off the
      charts - I marched up and introduced myself to the first person I
      saw, and she put me in good hands, and from there I was delivered
      from one "SCA veteran" to another so that I had people to talk to
      and learn from the whole time.

      I'm still figuring out if this is something I want to join. I have
      avoided the SCA before because I don't feel really drawn to the a
      particular activity (fighting, music, sewing, etc.) - I just like
      hanging out.

      The people I visited with assured me that that would be OK, but
      then, it felt like everyone I talked to had achievements in
      different historical arts, hobbies, etc. Also, people kept asking
      me if I was particularly interested in trying any of the hobbies I
      was seeing that day - it was clearly a big emphasis of the club.

      So my question is: if I want to hang around and soak up the
      atmosphere but I don't want to make/do hobby stuff, should I just
      stick to ren faires (which I have attended for several years now)?
      I want to figure out the culture before I jump in and then possibly
      find that I don't fit in.

      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

      -Eva
    • Eva

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
          Eva:
          > I'm new to the SCA experience - not officially a member yet, but I
          > went to my first event last Saturday - All Saints event in Roselle,
          > IL, hosted by Shire of Vanished Wood. It was REALLY cool - I got to
          > eat at an amazing feast, and I got to see court and say hello to the
          > Midlands king and queen. And the friendliness level was off the
          > charts - I marched up and introduced myself to the first person I
          > saw, and she put me in good hands, and from there I was delivered
          > from one "SCA veteran" to another so that I had people to talk to
          > and learn from the whole time.

          That sounds like you did indeed have a wonderful time! I'm glad to
          hear that a newcomer was treated so well and introduced
          around...YAY!!!

          > I'm still figuring out if this is something I want to join. I have
          > avoided the SCA before because I don't feel really drawn to the a
          > particular activity (fighting, music, sewing, etc.) - I just like
          > hanging out.
          >
          > The people I visited with assured me that that would be OK, but
          > then, it felt like everyone I talked to had achievements in
          > different historical arts, hobbies, etc. Also, people kept asking
          > me if I was particularly interested in trying any of the hobbies I
          > was seeing that day - it was clearly a big emphasis of the club.

          I'm right there with you. I've dabbled with some of the A&S (arts &
          science) stuff...but nothing has ever really kept my attention long
          enough to actually make anything (except for maybe playing with fire
          to make some glass beads).

          > So my question is: if I want to hang around and soak up the
          > atmosphere but I don't want to make/do hobby stuff, should I just
          > stick to ren faires (which I have attended for several years now)?
          > I want to figure out the culture before I jump in and then possibly
          > find that I don't fit in.

          Oh...keep coming! Definitely! There are other ways of being involved
          without having to make/do any of the hobby stuff. For some it's the
          fighting or the archery or the equestrian activities. For others it's
          taking classes...or teaching classes. Even others are content with
          just sitting around camp singing songs and telling stories...or
          enjoying a beverage as they listen. Some others prefer the evening
          revels to drum and dance the night away. And then there are others who
          have this thing called Helium Hand (tm) and just like helping people
          in general. [[I'm guilty of that last one...that's for sure!]]

          Sooo...keep on hanging out and soaking up the atmosphere. Sometimes
          the old-timers need to be reminded to do the same thing. ;)

          Jibra'il.
        • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
            Hi, Eva! Welcome to the group! Hang out with both; there are many SCA'ers who go to Ren Faires (sometimes I go as a dragon), have memberships in more than one re-enactment and fantasty group, and go to SciFi/Fantasy/Anime festivals and conventions.

            I've personally noticed that there are many, many VERY talented people in the SCA - which can be daunting for people who don't feel that they have any talents... Usually these "talentless" people are surprised by what they can do, especially after taking a few classes (almost everyone can learn calligraphy, even me with my sloppy handwriting!) such as garb-making and sewing (saves lots of bucks!), shoe-making, jewelry-making, armor-making, chain-mail-making, and so on. The really GREAT thing about the SCA is that these classes are almost always FREE - sometimes there's a small materials fee, but the information is researched by people fascinated by the subject, and happy to pass on what they've learned, which saves the rest of us a lot of time!

            Trust me, you're in the right place. If you just like to "hang out", there are plenty of people who enjoy that too - are you musical?? If I were you I'd check to see if there are any drumming/dancing groups in your area - those groups are usually flexible and fun to be around. Cooks' Guilds can be fun - you could be a taster, if you don't mind helping wash up afterwards... Please, any SCA'ers more knowledgeable, correct me if I've mis-spoken anywhere here.... Ziddina

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
              Eva and Jibra'il ,
              I am glad to hear that newcomers are being taken care of in other kingdoms and all I am the Chatelaine for the Shire of Schattentor,in the Kingdom of Northshield and I hope that newcomers here feel just welcome. I think it is great if you just wantto soak up the event and see what everybody is doing before you pick one just to see if you like or not.
              Lady Magdalen verch Madoch

              Eva:

            • Justinos Tekton called Justin
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                On Tuesday 06 November 2007 19:29, Eva wrote:
                > I'm still figuring out if this is something I want to join.  I have
                > avoided the SCA before because I don't feel really drawn to the a
                > particular activity (fighting, music, sewing, etc.) - I just like
                > hanging out.

                Same here. At a demo recently, someone from the modern world audience asked me
                what I do in the SCA. After a moment's thought, I had to admit, "Well, actually,
                I don't do anything very historical. Mostly I do databases and web sites and
                other administrative stuff, and wash dishes. I just like to hang out with my
                friends."

                I hated history in high school, owing largely to really BORING teachers. In
                college, double-majoring in two engineering branches kept me from having any
                humanities electives at all, so again, no history background. (Well, there
                was Political Science for Morons and Idiots my freshman year, but that was
                about all of my history curriculum.)

                So I never will be a person who gets deeply into the research end of things.
                I make armor that looks period, but I do it with modern tools. I make things
                out of wood, again period-looking but using modern tools. I fight, but I
                do it to have fun and don't care all that much about being really good at
                it.

                When other people walk by in incredibly authentic court garb, I admire it
                and compliment them on it. When our feast cooks prepare elaborate and highly
                authentic feasts, I volunteer to serve tables and wash dishes. When the
                Knights take the field of valor, I volunteer at the first aid station. To
                help the King and Queen run their kingdom, I maintain an official database.
                And so on.

                Point being....You can do very little or very much historical recreation,
                according to your personal ability and interest, and still be a contributing
                and productive member of the SCA. Those of us with underactive "history
                glands" can do the scut work and administrative paperwork to free up time
                for the historical gurus to do their wonderful magic, and then we can simply
                enjoy and admire their work.

                That being said, I must add that history in the Current Middle Ages, wherein
                you actually get to DO things, is way more interesting than history in a
                dull high school class with an uninspired and apathetic teacher. Reading
                about armor is not nearly as exciting as making it and wearing it.

                keys fesswise reversed sable.

              • Jibra'il 'Attar.
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                  Magdalen wrote:
                  Eva and Jibra'il ,
                  I am glad to hear that newcomers are being taken care of in other
                  kingdoms and all I am the Chatelaine for the Shire of Schattentor,in
                  the Kingdom of Northshield and I hope that newcomers here feel just
                  welcome. I think it is great if you just wantto soak up the event and
                  see what everybody is doing before you pick one just to see if you
                  like or not.

                  *giggles*

                  Sorry...couldn't resist. I've so NOT been a newbie for quite some
                  time. 10 years as of Halloween, actually. And an AoA, Torse, and QED
                  later. And having recently (ie: in the last 6-months) stepped down as
                  Kingdom Disaster Relief Coordinator and Shire Pursuivant. Oh...and a
                  graduate from heraldry studies to be handed over to a Laurel as an
                  Apprentice.

                  But yet...it makes me feel good to be included in the newbie club.
                  'cause it's all about the newbies! Long live the newbie!!!

                  Jibra'il.
                  *not a newbie, but will gladly play one on TV...or at Lilies
                • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                    At 07:29 PM 11/6/2007, you wrote:
                    >So my question is: if I want to hang around and soak up the
                    >atmosphere but I don't want to make/do hobby stuff, should I just
                    >stick to ren faires (which I have attended for several years now)?
                    >I want to figure out the culture before I jump in and then possibly
                    >find that I don't fit in.
                    >
                    >Any thoughts would be appreciated.
                    >
                    >-Eva

                    There are no requirements to make/do hobby stuff in the SCA. You are
                    more than welcome to just hang out.

                    But don't be surprised when something suddenly captures your fancy,
                    and you find exactly your niche, whether it be a craft of some sort,
                    or service.

                    Welcome!

                    Laurensa
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                      In a message dated 11/7/2007 11:33:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      schultz6755@... writes:

                      <<So my question is: if I want to hang around and soak up the
                      atmosphere but I don't want to make/do hobby stuff, should I just
                      stick to ren faires (which I have attended for several years now)?
                      I want to figure out the culture before I jump in and then possibly
                      find that I don't fit in.>>

                      Sure it's OK to just hang out. For one thing, I suspect your perception of
                      crafts/hobbies being a primary focus of all members may have been skewed a
                      bit for one reason or another. One possibility is that you probably weren't
                      directed to the service types because they were busy behind the scenes making
                      the event happen; the people free to talk to were the crafts/hobbies type. Or
                      it may be that the local group, like mine, is unusually heavy on arts types
                      and unusually light on other types - we only have two authorized fighters
                      here, neither of whom fights regularly, so you are most likely to hit an arts
                      type if you randomly pick one of us to talk to.

                      And, it's also very likely that, as you hang about, you will find some craft
                      or activity that does pique your interest and then totally sucks you in :-)
                      Certainly happened that way with me. I started out as primarily a
                      chirurgeon (first aid provider), and here I am with a Laurel in period cooking. Go
                      figure.

                      Lancaster, PA

                    • Signora Beatrice
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                        Greetings and welcome to the Midrealm!!

                        M'Lady Eva, I am so glad to hear that you were well taken care of at All
                        Souls. I was in attendance, but mostly working with the newcomers in the
                        matching brown tabards (from a local college). You may have seen me in
                        court, I was one of the three court heralds for Their Majesties.

                        If you'd like to contact me offline, I'd be happy to help with just about
                        anything, if you're local. :) Of course, if you're not local, you can
                        still contact me, but meeting will be a bit more difficult.

                        And, to answer your question, YES, please keep coming back. Artisans
                        always appreciate someone who appreciates what they do. Fighters (light
                        and heavy) like a good, responsive audience. You may decide that soaking
                        up the atmosphere is all you ever want to do, and that's okay. You may
                        find that (even a few years down the road) there is something that you
                        become interested in or passionate about.

                        Also, realize that the people you were talking to have likely been at this
                        for YEARS. They didn't aquire all that knowledge and all those skills in
                        just a few weeks, they've picked one, worked on it, then likely moved on
                        to another for a while. As for me, this is year 11 going on 12, and I'm
                        still learning something new all the time.

                        We ask if you're particularly interested *not* because you have to be, but
                        so we can introduce you to experts in those fields, so you're talking to
                        someone with similar interests. Many newcomers *do* have a particular
                        hobby craft (as you put it) that brings them to the SCA, whether that be
                        the combat, or a particular artisan craft, the history, or just helping
                        out.

                        Oh, and helping out is ALWAYS appreciated. Whether it's sitting at gate
                        taking money, serving feast, attending the Queen, carrying water to hot
                        and sweaty fighters, cleaning dishes, sweeping floors, or some other
                        'chore' or 'duty', many hands make light work, and extra hands are almost
                        never turned away. You'll find wonderful people to talk to, as well as a
                        good 'insiders look' at the culture if you volunteer a few hours at any
                        event.

                        Good luck, and again, WELCOME!!!

                        In Service,
                        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
                        Tree-Girt-Sea, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Eva
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                          You guys are great. :) Thank for you all the help! Some more
                          questions, focusing on the things that I'm excited about in the SCA:

                          - Photography. I would love to just wander an event and document
                          the whole thing and then share the pictures online. Is picture-
                          snapping something that gets in the way of the "magic" for others,
                          or is photography something that's needed and wanted in a group?

                          - Persona. One of hte main draws for me would be to research and
                          create an elaborate backstory. I'm really interested in late 14th
                          century England, especially the Black Death and the peasant revolt.
                          Is there a way to find out in advance if an SCA name is already
                          taken or to find and avoid the more commonly used first names, so
                          that I don't cause confusion by using a name taht a lot of other
                          people have?

                          - Clothes. I made myself a tunic outfit that is functional and even
                          drew a couple compliments, but I definitely want cooler
                          clothes. :) (Being a ren faire junkie, I have been admiring good
                          garb for years!) HOw does a novice seamstress get started on making
                          a medieval dress?? Any advice for someone who just barely survived
                          the tunic-sewing experience?? (Maybe hiring someone else is the way
                          to go?)

                          Any and all advice appreciated. As much as I think that I'm "on the
                          fence" about joining the SCA, I think I'm slowly falling over the
                          fence and into the green pastures of the Midrealm...!

                          -Eva
                        • Chris Chastain
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                            Greetings,

                            Pictures is something that is always good! (atleast in my group and
                            kingdom, not wanting to speak for others). The name issue is kind of a go
                            for it and found out as you register sort of thing as far as Ive ever seen.
                            Garb is well thank god I have a wife or they would have found me dead
                            somewhere due to blood loss trying to sew my own garb, It's easier to just
                            beat things with sticks sometimes!

                            Yours in Service,

                            Dmitrii

                            _____

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                                On Wednesday 07 November 2007 21:57, Eva wrote:
                                > Photography.  I would love to just wander an event and document
                                > the whole thing and then share the pictures online.  Is picture-
                                > snapping something that gets in the way of the "magic" for others,
                                > or is photography something that's needed and wanted in a group?

                                This is undoubtedly a topic of IKA -- Inter-Kingdom Anthropology. In other
                                words, customs vary from kingdom to kingdom and sometimes between one reign
                                and the next.

                                Here in the Middle Kingdom, it is generally okay to snap photos at events
                                as long as you are not obnoxious about it. I do quite a lot of photography,
                                and although I've seldom seen flash photography specifically prohibited,
                                by personal choice I almost never use it at SCA events. (*) It's something
                                that I personally find very intrusive, whereas nonflash photography is
                                less so, in my opinion.

                                Here are some further customs (again, I speak from a Midrealm perspective).
                                This is my opinion and based on my experience, and is NOT an attempt to
                                quote official policy.

                                The official policy for _commercial_ photography is on the SCA corporate
                                web site: http://sca.org/officers/media/filmcrewrules.html (I believe there
                                is a policy for noncommercial photos also, but I couldn't find it...it may
                                still be in draft form and not yet oficially released.)

                                * If you are taking pictures of a crowd or large group, or public figures
                                (e.g., Royalty) performing their official function, then you probably
                                don't need to ask permission to shoot or to publish the photos. (**)

                                * If you are photographing a small group or an individual, it's best to
                                ask permission first and explain that you want to post the photo online.
                                The SCA policy document I linked above has some commentary on areas of
                                an event that are generally considered to be "public" versus areas that
                                are treated as "private".

                                * If you take a picture that is mostly a work of art such as a scroll or
                                A&S project, the laws in some jurisdictions may say that you need
                                permission from the artist to publish the photo. (**)

                                * Be careful posting pictures of minors online without parental permission
                                (unless they're part of a large crowd shot). Laws vary among different
                                jurisdictions -- check with your local Chronicler or Kingdom Chronicler. (**)

                                * If you get pictures of someone who happens to be in an embarrassing
                                position (e.g., they were speaking and their mouth looks really goofy,
                                or their garb is uncovering something it shouldn't, or they happen to
                                slip and fall just as you take the photo...etc.), then ask before posting.
                                The subject may not think it's as funny as you do.

                                * Don't be obtrusive about getting into position to shoot, or about tripod
                                placement, etc. Be aware that other photographers may also want to shoot
                                that special Court moment -- or non-photographers may just plain want to
                                watch Court.

                                * If you want to be in a specific position to photograph Court, and that
                                position is other than amongst the audience, ask Their Majesties'
                                Chamberlain (or equivalent officer) beforehand.

                                * If possible, carry your gear in a period bag or pouch when not in use.
                                I have a very nice wool felt shoulder bag that is soft enough to protect
                                the gear, looks very period because it _is_ period, and which is naturally
                                water-resistant because of the oils in the wool.

                                * Try to use a fast enough ISO/ASA setting that you can work without flash.

                                * For safety reasons, do NOT shoot flash photos of combat activities or
                                live theatrical or other performance arts. The flash can blind the
                                participants and cause an accident.

                                SCA photography can be a lot of fun, and very few people will object as long
                                as you're polite about how you do it.

                                In case you're interested, we maintain a "Shutterbugs" email discussion list
                                on SCAtoday.net, and the list is open to anyone with an interest in this
                                topic. http://lists.scatoday.net/shutterbugs for more info, or follow the
                                "email lists" link from the right-hand menu of the main page at
                                http://www.scatoday.net/ .

                                Notes from above:

                                (*) I do use flash if I'm specifically photographing a posed subject or
                                subjects at their request, for instance if someone says, "Hey, Justin,
                                could you take a couple of photos of me in my new court garb?" But
                                I try do the shooting in a secluded spot away from the event's main
                                areas. Likewise, in specific circumstances I occasionally use flash
                                to photograph inanimate objects, again trying to be unobtrusive in
                                my selection of time and venue for the photo.

                                (**) I am not a lawyer, and this is not intended as legal advice.

                                Kind regards,

                                keys fesswise reversed sable.

                              • Kyla
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2007
                                  Hello Eva,

                                  I was at the All Souls event, as well - if you were in the merchants room in
                                  the afternoon, I was playing bowed psaltery.
                                  I spent the morning fencing, and the middle of the day taking classes and
                                  hanging out.

                                  You haven't mentioned where you're from. That makes it more difficult to
                                  offer area specific contacts and merchants.

                                  Have you considered contacting your local group's chatelaine (newbie
                                  contact) and asking about their gold key (loaner gear) outfits?
                                  Also, while there are many places to get garb on line, until you are sure of
                                  your period/location/class you won't know what is most authentic for you, if
                                  you want to be authentic.
                                  If you go to the SCA newcomers website, there are links to a variety of
                                  merchants, and lots of other info as well.
                                  Check in the links section, or click on the link below.

                                  The Society page has links to all sorts of info regarding the choosing of
                                  names.

                                  http://www.sca.org/

                                  look at the 'New to the sca' link.

                                  I'm glad you had a good time, and please come play with us again!

                                  Kyla Pennywarden
                                  Ravenslake, Midlands,
                                  Middle Kingdom

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 8, 2007
                                    In a message dated 11/7/2007 9:57:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    schultz6755@... writes:

                                    <<- Photography. I would love to just wander an event and document
                                    the whole thing and then share the pictures online. Is picture-
                                    snapping something that gets in the way of the "magic" for others,
                                    or is photography something that's needed and wanted in a group?>>

                                    In my experience, people tend to ignore cameras as they ignore eyeglasses or
                                    crutches or wheelchairs. If there is a clearly defined area where
                                    everything is highly authentic, especially if it is surrounded by a gold rope or cord,
                                    call someone from inside to the outside and talk to them about it outside
                                    the area. These areas are often referred to as "Enchanted Grounds" and a
                                    particular effort is made within them not to use or talk about overtly modern
                                    things.

                                    <<- Persona. One of hte main draws for me would be to research and
                                    create an elaborate backstory. I'm really interested in late 14th
                                    century England, especially the Black Death and the peasant revolt.
                                    Is there a way to find out in advance if an SCA name is already
                                    taken or to find and avoid the more commonly used first names, so
                                    that I don't cause confusion by using a name taht a lot of other
                                    people have?>>

                                    You don't need to have an elaborate backstory unless you want to, but I
                                    think it makes things more fun, too. To find out if the name you want is already
                                    in use, or for help researching a name, talk to your group's herald - that
                                    is one of their functions. And actually, it is very period to have lots of
                                    people with the same first name, especially in England at that time period;
                                    there was really a very small name pool. And just as they did in period, if
                                    people get confused, about which "Matilda" is being discussed, they will either
                                    clarify with your surname or an identifying characteristic, like "the tall
                                    one" or the "redhead" or "the one who is always sewing" - which is where a lot
                                    of surnames came from originally anyway:-)

                                    <<- Clothes. I made myself a tunic outfit that is functional and even
                                    drew a couple compliments, but I definitely want cooler
                                    clothes. :) (Being a ren faire junkie, I have been admiring good
                                    garb for years!) HOw does a novice seamstress get started on making
                                    a medieval dress?? Any advice for someone who just barely survived
                                    the tunic-sewing experience?? (Maybe hiring someone else is the way
                                    to go?)>>

                                    There are lots of websites with instructions, but I always found it easier
                                    to learn from someone directly. There will likely be someone in your local
                                    group, or possible several someones, who can fill that role. You can certainly
                                    hire another SCA member to make things for you, and the pay needn't be in
                                    money; barter is alive and well in the SCA and it is not unheard of for someone
                                    to barter services such as babysitting or help setting up an encampment for
                                    clothes. Also, for the 14th century, there are several very reputable
                                    merchants who sell high quality very authentic 14th century clothing and
                                    accessories (unlike me for the 12th century), if you have the money to afford their
                                    prices. The materials and work aren't cheap, but the clothes do last well and
                                    look good. The two most well-known are Historic Enterprises (also known as
                                    Black Swan Designs) at _http://www.historicenterprises.com/_
                                    (http://www.historicenterprises.com/) and Revival Clothing at _www.revivalclothing.com_
                                    (http://www.revivalclothing.com) . For cast metal accessories such as buttons,
                                    brooches, buckles and strap ends, you can't do better than Mark Gaukler at
                                    Gaukler's Medieval Wares _http://www.medievalwares.com/_
                                    (http://www.medievalwares.com/) ; he has a ton of high quality reproduction pieces and also sells
                                    legally acquired artifacts. There are a number of period shoemakers; I use
                                    Master Dru Shoemaker for mine. He is at _www.medivalshoes.com_
                                    (http://www.medivalshoes.com) .

                                    <<Any and all advice appreciated. As much as I think that I'm "on the
                                    fence" about joining the SCA, I think I'm slowly falling over the
                                    fence and into the green pastures of the Midrealm...!>>

                                    Don't get us started, we can go on forever!

                                    Lancaster, PA

                                  • Susan Farmer
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 8, 2007
                                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Eva" <schultz6755@...> wrote:

                                      > You guys are great. :) Thank for you all the help! Some more
                                      > questions, focusing on the things that I'm excited about in the SCA:
                                      >
                                      > - Photography. I would love to just wander an event and document
                                      > the whole thing and then share the pictures online. Is picture-
                                      > snapping something that gets in the way of the "magic" for others,
                                      > or is photography something that's needed and wanted in a group?

                                      Photography is one of the things that I "do" -- and I've done it since
                                      AS 9 .... :-) I do try not to take flash photos during court, though.

                                      jerusha
                                      http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/
                                    • Eva
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 9, 2007
                                        Thanks again, everybody, for all the input and advice.

                                        To those who asked, I'm from the southwest Chicago suburbs, so I've
                                        got Vanished Wood, Rokkhealden, and Foxvale, plenty of nearby choices
                                        of who to associate myself with as my main "home."

                                        I'm going to hold off on officially joining for now, and I'm going to
                                        make plans to go to Pots and Pens, an event coming up next month in
                                        Hudson, IL, and see how that goes. I've got a lot to learn!

                                        thanks,

                                        -Eva
                                      • Janet
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 9, 2007
                                          Chicago area! That puts your really close to the 12th night there in Tree-Girt-Sea. I think this is the big Kingdom to do this year, so if you wanna see people dressed in their best, this might be an event to check out. Sounds like feast will be extra yummy as well. The boyfriend and I have already discussed making the trek from Ohio to check it out. (check the midrealm calendar at midrealm.org)

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 9, 2007
                                            " I am glad to hear that newcomers are being taken care of in other
                                            kingdoms and all I am the Chatelaine for the Shire of Schattentor,in
                                            the Kingdom of Northshield and I hope that newcomers here feel just
                                            welcome. I think it is great if you just wantto soak up the event and
                                            see what everybody is doing before you pick one just to see if you
                                            like or not.
                                            Lady Magdalen verch Madoch"

                                            We're a pretty friendly bunch here in the Greater Chicagoland Area
                                            (unofficially we call this area Ayreton, wait for the pun... AIRY
                                            tun. Hey, not my fault).

                                            The Vanished Woods All Souls Event seems to teem with fun and eager
                                            newcomers every year. When I was helping to retain for Her Majesty
                                            Aislin at All Souls, A Master of the Order of the Pelican introduced
                                            two newcomers to Her Majesty. I was delighted! These two newcomers
                                            were from my Shire where I am the Chatelain and one of them had come
                                            to my "Events Warm-up Class" the day before and we had discussed the
                                            possibility of meeting Their Majesties and proper ettiquette. They
                                            did very well.

                                            However, this wasn't the only group of newcomers there and at one
                                            point a Knight I knew had taken some others under her wing as well.
                                            This is why I always tell my newcomers, and I suppose I'm giving this
                                            advice here on this list as well, find a peer at an event if you don't
                                            know what's going on or have any questions.

                                            Peers are Masters/Mistresses of the Orders of the Laurel recognizable
                                            by usually wearing a pin, medallion or having something embroidered
                                            with a wreath of laurel leaves, Master Mistresses of the Order of the
                                            Pelican, recognizable usually by the wearing of a pin or medallion of
                                            a bird (pelican) looking like it is pulling feathers from its chest,
                                            and Knights and Masters of Arms of the Order of Chivalry recognizable
                                            by white belts or baldrics respectively.

                                            These folks are excellent resources, helpful and usually very
                                            friendly. Yes, they are recognizable persons of rank but they too
                                            started new as you are. So, when in doubt ask them for help.

                                            Just my opinions.

                                            Ian the Green
                                            Chatelain - Shire of Grey Gargoyles
                                            Midlands