Re: [SCA Newcomers] Clothing - Men's

  • Signora Beatrice
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
      Greetings from Beatrice!!

      --- sfhdhunter <scastillo2@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I just joined this group a few months ago, and have enjoyed everyone's
      > postings. I'm pretty much a newbie to the world of SCA. I need your
      > advise, and help for a theme wedding that's comming up in December
      > 2007. The theme will be "Italian Renaissance" and the bride insist all
      > guest to dress in the class of the upper crust Renaissance. I've had a
      > very difficult time finding men's Renaissance clothing on the web. The
      > bride wants all men to wear fancy doublets, tights and codpiece,along
      > with black boots. Hats are optional. I'm having better luck finding the
      > doublets, although very expensive. My main issue is finding men's
      > tights and codpiece. She wants this as authintic as possible and has
      > requested men not wear shiny or sports tights. If anyone has a source
      > for the items stated above, your help would be greatly appreciated.

      Hi, Sal. Tights can be purchased from either a dance supply store (dance
      tights are thicker, a bit more opaque, and not shiny), or from online
      suppliers (like Faire Pair, http://www.tightsgoddess.com/ ).

      As far as doublets and codpieces (and pants, for that matter), try
      contacting your local SCA group. They likely can point you to a costumer
      who can make you garb (that will fit well) appropriate to this time
      period. You might also see if there is a Renaissance Faire in your area
      (you didn't say where you were from), and they may have resources for
      costuming, as well.

      If you're looking for online merchants, contact me off-list, and I can
      direct you to some of my bookmarked sources.

      Best of luck!!!

      In Service,
      Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
      Tree-Girt-Sea, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

      http://mail.yahoo.com