Significance of 12th night and other stuff

  • Sadira Aka Ziddina Ait Zumar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2007
      Read the recent posts about garb and 12th night with interest; in our
      area 12th night is a big deal because many people only attend that
      one celebration - we get a bigger turnout for that than for any other
      event. Traditionally it's a time to show off your absolutely best
      garb - stuff you can't wear to camping events, fighting melees, and
      even some "dress" events held locally (I kid you not) in horse barns
      and fairground arenas with dirt floors. (Although, ironically, ours
      is held at the local fairground, but in a REAL building with REAL
      floors - not dirt!) As a matter of fact, I got rid of (ripped it
      right off of me and dumped it on a merchant's table in disgust) a red
      velvet/saffron gold Italian Renaissance outfit in large part because
      it was dry-clean-only, and the event (the last event that I wore it
      to!) was held in a horse-corral area with tawny red clay - YUK! (I
      was also none too pleased with the level of "authenticity" - but I'm
      not A/R garb, really!)

      Wanted to make another point, too... If you're a newcomer, PLEASE,
      PLEASE don't be hesitant to have your name/address/email/whatever
      listed in the local directory, either online or paper, or better yet,
      both! The demo that I just ran - several new people showed up and
      fortunately I had already gotten their names, so I could thank them
      properly in print. But they aren't in our directory yet, and
      snagging that info while I'm semi-autocratting is difficult - next
      year, a sign-up sheet! Speaking of which, PLEASE take advantage of
      sign-up sheets too (I know most of you already are) and NOTE in
      writing that you're new. Hopefully some kind soul who is on the
      lookout for newcomers will be able to take you under their wing...
      That's all for now! Ziddina
      "I am the BIONIC Re-Enactor! "We can RE-Build it! We can make it
      BETTER than it was!"