Clothing - Men's

  • sfhdhunter
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2007
      Hello everyone,
      I just joined this group a few months ago, and have enjoyed everyone's
      postings. I'm pretty much a newbie to the world of SCA. I need your
      advise, and help for a theme wedding that's comming up in December
      2007. The theme will be "Italian Renaissance" and the bride insist all
      guest to dress in the class of the upper crust Renaissance. I've had a
      very difficult time finding men's Renaissance clothing on the web. The
      bride wants all men to wear fancy doublets, tights and codpiece,along
      with black boots. Hats are optional. I'm having better luck finding the
      doublets, although very expensive. My main issue is finding men's
      tights and codpiece. She wants this as authintic as possible and has
      requested men not wear shiny or sports tights. If anyone has a source
      for the items stated above, your help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks a million!
      Sal
    • Signora Beatrice
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
        Greetings from Beatrice!!

        --- sfhdhunter <scastillo2@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        > I just joined this group a few months ago, and have enjoyed everyone's
        > postings. I'm pretty much a newbie to the world of SCA. I need your
        > advise, and help for a theme wedding that's comming up in December
        > 2007. The theme will be "Italian Renaissance" and the bride insist all
        > guest to dress in the class of the upper crust Renaissance. I've had a
        > very difficult time finding men's Renaissance clothing on the web. The
        > bride wants all men to wear fancy doublets, tights and codpiece,along
        > with black boots. Hats are optional. I'm having better luck finding the
        > doublets, although very expensive. My main issue is finding men's
        > tights and codpiece. She wants this as authintic as possible and has
        > requested men not wear shiny or sports tights. If anyone has a source
        > for the items stated above, your help would be greatly appreciated.

        Hi, Sal. Tights can be purchased from either a dance supply store (dance
        tights are thicker, a bit more opaque, and not shiny), or from online
        suppliers (like Faire Pair, http://www.tightsgoddess.com/ ).

        As far as doublets and codpieces (and pants, for that matter), try
        contacting your local SCA group. They likely can point you to a costumer
        who can make you garb (that will fit well) appropriate to this time
        period. You might also see if there is a Renaissance Faire in your area
        (you didn't say where you were from), and they may have resources for
        costuming, as well.

        If you're looking for online merchants, contact me off-list, and I can
        direct you to some of my bookmarked sources.

        Best of luck!!!

        In Service,
        Signora Beatrice Domenici della Campana, AoA
        Tree-Girt-Sea, Midlands, Middle Kingdom

        http://mail.yahoo.com