Re: [SCA Newcomers] Hi!

  • David Whitehead
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2007
      Welcome to our great society, even if you have to join (ugh) trimaris. <
      ;-) > But seriously forks, welcome and may you find happiness in what ever
      path you choose to follow. Be it cloth, leather, metal, or the many many
      other disciplines that there are to pursue in this wonderful collection of
      misfits that we call home.

      Lord Wolfgang von der Eiffel
      Barony of Bjornsborg
      Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra

      p.s. kill....err see you at gulf wars.

    • jay davis
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
        hi there. the orlando group is the barony of darkwater. it meet
        thursday nights at the fashion square mall on east colonial (us
        highway 50)in the community room. the room is near the sears store.
        meeting start about 7 pm. come on in and look around. if you ask for
        me (jon davis), i will be glad to introduce you around. i am the
        deputy hospitaler for the barony. please come and join us. john of
        sntioche

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "medicman1111" <medicman1111@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
        > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
        > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
        > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
        > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
        > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
        > Thank you all!

      • jay davis
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
          sure and you know he is just jealuos. he must live in (ugh) ansteorra.
          he is not able to be part of the great kingdom of trimaris. john of
          antioche

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Whitehead"
          <talrath2002@...> wrote:

          > Welcome to our great society, even if you have to join (ugh) trimaris. <
          > ;-) > But seriously forks, welcome and may you find happiness in
          what ever
          > path you choose to follow. Be it cloth, leather, metal, or the many many
          > other disciplines that there are to pursue in this wonderful
          collection of
          > misfits that we call home.
          >
          > Lord Wolfgang von der Eiffel
          > Barony of Bjornsborg
          > Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra
          >
          > p.s. kill....err see you at gulf wars.

        • Elizabeth Bair
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2007
            Hi Medicman! I sent you an email with some information about Trimaris,
            contacts for groups in your local area and some resources you might be
            interested in checking out, including our kingdom social mailing list.

            Welcome to Trimaris!

            Dulcia

            On 10/31/07, medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
            > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
            > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
            > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
            > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
            > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
            > Thank you all!

          • Elizabeth Bair
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2007
              Hi! I wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I will have to answer
              your questions early next week. I'm on my way out of town to work at an
              event not far from Orlando this weekend.
              http://www.melessee.org/jerusalem/home.html

              I didn't want to leave and let you think that I was ignoring your email.
              I'll write again after I get back. You are more than welcome to drop by the
              event. I will be working but can answer questions and there should be a
              local Hospitaller on site as well and someone can probably find you some
              garb to borrow.

              Anyway - I'm off!

              Dulcia

              On 10/31/07, medicman1111 <medicman1111@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone, I'm new and am trying to get information to join. I had
              > heard about SCA several years ago from a co-worker who is a member and
              > I moved and have not been able to find a correct contact for the
              > information. I am from Orlando and need info for this joining that
              > kingdom. If anybody could put me in contact with the correct person or
              > have them contact me i would be very grateful.
              > Thank you all!

            • nikki.doherty
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 16 6:10 PM
                Hello everyone!

                I'm in Port Moody, BC, planning on being in the Barony of Lion's Gate. I met my husband playing Neverwinter Nights online and thought it would be fun to do something similar in real life. In two weeks will be our very first bransle and I'll be there along with my somewhat reluctant husband, my Deaf friend, and possibly my two English friends.

                We raided a thrift store today to get some fabric to sew up some garb and grabbed a few plates.

                Is there anything else we should know, do, plan for? And is anyone else from Tir Righ on here? :)

                Nikki (who hasnt picked a name yet)
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 17 4:46 PM
                  In a message dated 3/17/2009 6:17:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  nikki.doherty@... writes:

                  <<Is there anything else we should know, do, plan for? And is anyone else
                  from Tir Righ on here? :)>>

                  If there is a court or something similar going on, contact the autocrat
                  (person in charge of the event) and ask if a silent herald (a herald who signs)
                  will be present to interpret for your Deaf friend. Actually, it would be nice to
                  have one around anyway to teach your friend some of the SCA-specific signs
                  that we use.

                  Welcome!

                  Lancaster, PA
                  steps!
                  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219850974x1201371016/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID
                  %3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)

                • Emily
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 18 5:41 AM
                    I'm in Washington state but I'm close! Welcome!
                    If you come south to some Seattle/Everet events I hope to meet you.

                    I'm thinking about your question, "is there anything else we should know?"

                    A couple of things come to mind.

                    Call everyone m'lord and m'lady until your introduced, then you'll know if they have a title you should be useing. Lord and Lady are for folks with the AoA award. The titles get bigger as the awards and deeds get bigger.
                    Along with the plates you might want to grab some mugs or heavy old wine glasses and silverware and bowls. At alot of events it's expected for folks to bring their own feasting gear. But someone almost always has some to spare too. :)

                    Most importantly just have a good time. SCAers are THE nicest and most friendly folks in the world. Find a smiling face and introduce yourself. You'll get taken right in and be family in no time!

                    Emily G

                    I don't know if you have these links so I'll put them here at the bottom.
                    Your local groups
                    http://www.antir.sca.org/Map/branches.php?reg=Tir%20Righ
                    Guide for newcomers on the main site.
                    http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html
                  • Trish Mickelsen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 18 7:38 AM
                      Hi Emily,  I'm Patricia from the Shire of Wyewood.
                       Hugs & Kisses,
                      Trish

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 18 8:26 AM
                        Welcome Nikki!

                        I am also in Tir Righ. I'm in Kelowna (Shire of Danescombe). I went to my first event in February. That was pretty much how I started to. I actually rented garb from my local costume shop and hit the thrift store for feast gear. Enjoy!

                        YIS
                        Meave of Driscoll