Re: [SCA Newcomers] names

  • shywolf128
    Message 1 of 92 , Oct 14, 2007
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...>
      wrote:

      > Quoth "shywolf128":
      > > I was given a name by former member the dragonspine realm about
      10yrs
      > > ago and was wondering if it is ok to use it as I have done
      research I
      > > have not the use anywhere the name is "gizelle star" I have never
      >
      > It depends on what you mean by "ok to use". There are no
      restrictions
      > on the types of names that you can *use* in the SCA (though, of
      course,
      > adopting offensive names or names of well-known historical figures
      is
      > frowned upon!). If you want to register your name with the College
      of
      > Arms, then you'll need to show that the elements were used as name
      > elements in some pre-1600 language/culture. For that, you would
      probably
      > need to do some research (if that's what you want to do, we can
      recommend
      > some good places to look, too).
      >
      > -Aryanhwy
      >

      > --
      > vita sine literis mors est
      > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      >I am thinking about registering the name but as you said I need to
      do the research and I can't find the name used anywhere.
    • Lee B
      Message 92 of 92 , Nov 11, 2008
        Thank you ,thank you for the kind explanation, I'm so happy it passed. now i can work on a device of some sort. . where to begin!!!???    I did see a name that is my real name backwards and added last name..  Beatrice Lillian Miller I believe.  that's my real name in reverse but minus the Miller part. thought it kinda neat. thanks again, Awyanhwy, and all that shed light on my confusion. I will patiently now await my letter!!!!
        thanks,
         Beatrice Lilli
         Stonemarche
        Kingdom of the East

        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, dark chocolate in one hand, frozen mudslide in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

        If all is not lost, Where is it???????????? Lee