Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach

  • Alix deBohun
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
      Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
      (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

      I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.

      Alix

      > --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, "thorgrim_riftwalke r"

      > <masongarner@ > wrote:

      > > His Grace Radu (the 1st King of Glean Abhan) has the registered

      > > flaming moose... And if you knew the man you would understand. It

      > > also dosent hurt that Moose is his nickname or that it is somehow

      > > fitting for a man that stands 6'9". A credit to the order of the

      > > chivalry and his kingdom

      > > --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, "David Roland" <mystborne@>

      > > wrote:

      > > > Please feel free to forward this and use this as you would but

      > > > please give credit where credit is due. Yes, there are some

      > > > exceptions but in general the following advice is for any and

      > all

      > > > newcomers.

      > > > So, you're new to the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA),

      > and

      > > > you want to do it all! Well, come check it out, find out what

      > you

      > > > like and explore. You might find something you like that you

      > never

      > > > thought you would. But first, a word of advice.

      > > > In your first year DON'T.

      > > > That's right DON'T.

      > > > DON'T register a name.

      > > > DON'T register a device.

      > > > DON'T join a household, guild etc.

      > > > DON'T attach yourself to someone as in an apprenticeship or

      > > squiring

      > > > or other such thing.

      > > > DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are

      > more

      > > > or less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you

      > > something

      > > > they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-

      > > register

      > > > the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you

      > that.

      > > > The truth is that you will likely find a name or persona that

      > you

      > > > think is cooler later on. Chill out try a few on and see what

      > > > sticks. Most newcomers in my experience change names a few

      times

      > > > before they settle on one.

      > > > DON'T register a device. Same reason as not registering your

      > name

      > > > really. A device is a symbol that will come to be recognized

      as

      > > > you. People will see it and think of you. People will see you

      > not

      > > > with it and wonder what is wrong. And once you have a flaming

      > > moose

      > > > as your symbol - yes there really is a registered flaming

      moose -

      > > > you will never get away from it.

      > > > DON'T join a household, guild etc. Hang out with them, get the

      > lay

      > > > of the land and the internal politics, have fun, get to know

      > > people.

      > > > If they're cool now, great! But really if they're cool now,

      then

      > > > they'll be cool in a year just the same. You may find that you

      > like

      > > > hanging out with them but don't really wanna join up. That's

      > okay.

      > > > Then again you may choose to join up after that year and you'll

      > be

      > > > better member for it!

      > > > DON'T attach yourself. Those kinds of things in the SCA are

      > viewed

      > > > as permanent and forever. Yes, you can get out of them but it

      is

      > > > BIG deal when that happens and people will talk for years about

      > > it.

      > > > I keep hearing about one split that happened over 15, yes

      that's

      > > > fifteen, years ago. Take your time get to know what you really

      > > want

      > > > to do and what the person is really like and what their

      > reputation

      > > > is. Once you DO get attached to a person you WILL ALWAYS be

      > judged

      > > > in that light and will ALWAYS be associated that way. So know

      > the

      > > > person well before you get attached as a squire or apprentice

      or

      > > > other such thing.

      > > > There are plenty of stories in the SCA of people having

      > registered

      > > > names or devices and wishing they hadn't and being "stuck" with

      > it.

      > > > And even more stories of having joined a household or guild and

      > > > wishing they had spent more time getting to know people and

      > things

      > > > before they had.

      > > > Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts

      > > > content.

      > > > And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name

      > or

      > > > device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell

      > them

      > > > to lay off.

      > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally

      > been

      > > in

      > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has

      > NEVER

      > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT

      > required

      > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth

      > is

      > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register

      for

      > > > certain before you do.

      > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is

      > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close

      > it

      > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

      > choosing

      > > > some things too early.

      > > > Ian the Green (MKA David Roland)

      > > > Chatelain � Shire of Grey Gargoyles

      > > > Region of the Midlands

      > > > Middle Kingdom

      <!--

      #ygrp-mkp{
      #ygrp-mkp hr{
      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
      margin-bottom:10px;}
      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
      padding:0 0;}
      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
      -->

      <!--

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
      font-family:Arial;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
      -->

      <!--

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
      #ygrp-text{
      font-family:Georgia;
      }
      #ygrp-text p{
      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
      font-family:Arial;
      clear:both;}
      #ygrp-vitnav{
      #ygrp-vitnav a{
      padding:0 1px;}
      #ygrp-actbar{
      #ygrp-actbar .left{
      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
      #ygrp-grft{
      #ygrp-ft{
      padding:5px 0;
      }
      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
      padding-bottom:10px;}

      #ygrp-vital{
      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
      #ygrp-vital ul{
      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
      #ygrp-vital ul li{
      }
      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
      font-weight:bold;}
      #ygrp-vital a{
      text-decoration:none;}

      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}

      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
      padding:8px 0;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
      text-decoration:none;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
      text-decoration:underline;}
      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
      margin:0;}
      o{font-size:0;}
      .MsoNormal{
      margin:0 0 0 0;}
      #ygrp-text tt{
      font-size:120%;}
      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
      .replbq{margin:4;}
      -->

    • Pardus
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
        So is Squirrel a pilot by chance?

        - Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

        Alix deBohun wrote:
        > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
        > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)
        >
        > I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.
        >
        > Alix

      • Labhaoise O'Beachain
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
          Say it isn't so........

          > Alix deBohun wrote:
          > > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
          > > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
          nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
          Squirrel)
        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
            Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

            COMMENT,
            Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke nearly all of them.
            Matthew Baker
            Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              It certainly isn't the end of the world if you do the things on the
              don't list. However there are stories in abundance of people who
              truly wish they had not. The point of the don'ts listed is to get
              people to take some time before they make major decisions.

              Every one of my newcomers and "graduated" newcomers have a story to
              tell about why they are very happy they followed the advice in one way
              or another. Almost all of which I heard well after the fact. Of
              course I know some folks that everything worked out with as well. But
              they seem to be the exception.

              Just some friendly advice from a Chatelain.

              Ian

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

              > Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
              > Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*
              >
              > COMMENT,
              > Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke
              nearly all of them.
              > Matthew Baker
              > Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

            • Dianne & Greg Stucki
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:
                >Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                >(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                >nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

                Mine is a flying monkey. :-)

                Laurensa
              • David Backlin
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  >>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                  >>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                  >>Squirrel)
                  >

                  > Mine is a flying monkey. :-)
                  >
                  > Laurensa

                  What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)
                • christopher chastain
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    No offense to the good sir and his lady but I cant help but mentally see rocky and bullwinkle everytime I read this description!

                    Dmitrii

                    "If you must choose between two paths, either of which will bring death and defeat, then choose the path wherein you die fighting for honor and justice." Pan Ku

                    To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: edrei@...: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 00:36:52 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach

                    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dianne & Greg Stucki" <goofy4@...>To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 4:37 PMSubject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach> At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:>>Don't forget his wife Squirrel!>>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her>>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and >>Squirrel)>>> Mine is a flying monkey. :-)>> Laurensa>What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)

                  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                      At 01:36 AM 10/9/2007, you wrote:
                      >Mine is a flying monkey. :-)