Re: The Don't Speach

  • thorgrim_riftwalker
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
      No remedy needed m'lord, nor would I presume to hand out chastisement
      like a nun in catholic school. My only wish in the matter was that a
      Knight and Royal Peer whom I admire and respect greatly was not held
      up to be an object of mockery

      Respectfully,
      YIS
      mason

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Roland" <mystborne@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > > people.
      > > > If they're cool now, great! But really if they're cool now,
      then
      > > > they'll be cool in a year just the same. You may find that you
      > like
      > > > hanging out with them but don't really wanna join up. That's
      > okay.
      > > > Then again you may choose to join up after that year and you'll
      > be
      > > > better member for it!
      > > >
      > > > DON'T attach yourself. Those kinds of things in the SCA are
      > viewed
      > > > as permanent and forever. Yes, you can get out of them but it
      is
      > > > BIG deal when that happens and people will talk for years about
      > > it.
      > > > I keep hearing about one split that happened over 15, yes
      that's
      > > > fifteen, years ago. Take your time get to know what you really
      > > want
      > > > to do and what the person is really like and what their
      > reputation
      > > > is. Once you DO get attached to a person you WILL ALWAYS be
      > judged
      > > > in that light and will ALWAYS be associated that way. So know
      > the
      > > > person well before you get attached as a squire or apprentice
      or
      > > > other such thing.
      > > >
      > > > There are plenty of stories in the SCA of people having
      > registered
      > > > names or devices and wishing they hadn't and being "stuck" with
      > it.
      > > > And even more stories of having joined a household or guild and
      > > > wishing they had spent more time getting to know people and
      > things
      > > > before they had.
      > > >
      > > > Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts
      > > > content.
      > > >
      > > > And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name
      > or
      > > > device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell
      > them
      > > > to lay off.
      > > >
      > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally
      > been
      > > in
      > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has
      > NEVER
      > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT
      > required
      > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth
      > is
      > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register
      for
      > > > certain before you do.
      > > >
      > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is
      > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close
      > it
      > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

    • Alix deBohun
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
        Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
        (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

        I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.

        Alix

> [...]

        > them

        > > > to lay off.

        > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally

        > been

        > > in

        > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has

        > NEVER

        > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT

        > required

        > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth

        > is

        > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register

        for

        > > > certain before you do.

        > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is

        > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close

        > it

        > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Pardus
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
          So is Squirrel a pilot by chance?

          - Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

          Alix deBohun wrote:
          > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
          > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)
          >
          > I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.
          >
          > Alix

        • Labhaoise O'Beachain
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            Say it isn't so........

            > Alix deBohun wrote:
            > > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
            > > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
            nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
            Squirrel)
          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
              Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

              COMMENT,
              Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke nearly all of them.
              Matthew Baker
              Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

            • David Roland
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                It certainly isn't the end of the world if you do the things on the
                don't list. However there are stories in abundance of people who
                truly wish they had not. The point of the don'ts listed is to get
                people to take some time before they make major decisions.

                Every one of my newcomers and "graduated" newcomers have a story to
                tell about why they are very happy they followed the advice in one way
                or another. Almost all of which I heard well after the fact. Of
                course I know some folks that everything worked out with as well. But
                they seem to be the exception.

                Just some friendly advice from a Chatelain.

                Ian

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

                > Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
                > Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*
                >
                > COMMENT,
                > Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke
                nearly all of them.
                > Matthew Baker
                > Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

              • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:
                  >Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                  >(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                  >nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

                  Mine is a flying monkey. :-)

                  Laurensa
                • David Backlin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    >>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                    >>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                    >>Squirrel)
                    >

                    > Mine is a flying monkey. :-)
                    >
                    > Laurensa

                    What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)
                  • christopher chastain
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      No offense to the good sir and his lady but I cant help but mentally see rocky and bullwinkle everytime I read this description!

                      Dmitrii

                      "If you must choose between two paths, either of which will bring death and defeat, then choose the path wherein you die fighting for honor and justice." Pan Ku

                      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: edrei@...: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 00:36:52 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach

                      ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dianne & Greg Stucki" <goofy4@...>To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 4:37 PMSubject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach> At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:>>Don't forget his wife Squirrel!>>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her>>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and >>Squirrel)>>> Mine is a flying monkey. :-)>> Laurensa>What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)

                    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                        At 01:36 AM 10/9/2007, you wrote:
                        >Mine is a flying monkey. :-)