Re: The Don't Speach

  • thorgrim_riftwalker
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
      His Grace Radu (the 1st King of Glean Abhan) has the registered
      flaming moose... And if you knew the man you would understand. It
      also dosent hurt that Moose is his nickname or that it is somehow
      fitting for a man that stands 6'9". A credit to the order of the
      chivalry and his kingdom

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "David Roland" <mystborne@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > think is cooler later on. Chill out try a few on and see what
      > sticks. Most newcomers in my experience change names a few times
      > before they settle on one.
      >
      > DON'T register a device. Same reason as not registering your name
      > really. A device is a symbol that will come to be recognized as
      > you. People will see it and think of you. People will see you not
      > with it and wonder what is wrong. And once you have a flaming
      moose
      > as your symbol - yes there really is a registered flaming moose -
      > you will never get away from it.
      >
      > DON'T join a household, guild etc. Hang out with them, get the lay
      > of the land and the internal politics, have fun, get to know
      people.
      > If they're cool now, great! But really if they're cool now, then
      > they'll be cool in a year just the same. You may find that you like
      > hanging out with them but don't really wanna join up. That's okay.
      > Then again you may choose to join up after that year and you'll be
      > better member for it!
      >
      > DON'T attach yourself. Those kinds of things in the SCA are viewed
      > as permanent and forever. Yes, you can get out of them but it is a
      > BIG deal when that happens and people will talk for years about
      it.
      > I keep hearing about one split that happened over 15, yes that's
      > fifteen, years ago. Take your time get to know what you really
      want
      > to do and what the person is really like and what their reputation
      > is. Once you DO get attached to a person you WILL ALWAYS be judged
      > in that light and will ALWAYS be associated that way. So know the
      > person well before you get attached as a squire or apprentice or
      > other such thing.
      >
      > There are plenty of stories in the SCA of people having registered
      > names or devices and wishing they hadn't and being "stuck" with it.
      > And even more stories of having joined a household or guild and
      > wishing they had spent more time getting to know people and things
      > before they had.
      >
      > Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts
      > content.
      >
      > And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name or
      > device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell them
      > to lay off.
      >
      > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally been
      in
      > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has NEVER
      > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required
      > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth is
      > that you should wait around to see what you want to register for
      > certain before you do.
      >
      > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is a
      > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to it
      > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of choosing

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
        I knew not to whom the flaming moose was registered to having seen
        it in passing at a presentation of unique and unusual registered
        badges and arms. I am most happy to know that it belongs to one of
        such skill, wisdom and virtue as to be not only a knight but also at
        least twice a King.

        I infer from your response that perhaps my phrasing in this gentle
        advice given about his grace's device might be taken amiss. Please
        feel free to contact me, on or off list as you choose, for any good
        remedy I may make if needed.

        My thanks.

        Ian the Green

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "thorgrim_riftwalker"
        <masongarner@...> wrote:

> [...]

        them
        > > to lay off.
        > >
        > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally
        been
        > in
        > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has
        NEVER
        > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT
        required
        > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth
        is
        > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register for
        > > certain before you do.
        > >
        > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is
        > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to
        it
        > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

      • thorgrim_riftwalker
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
          No remedy needed m'lord, nor would I presume to hand out chastisement
          like a nun in catholic school. My only wish in the matter was that a
          Knight and Royal Peer whom I admire and respect greatly was not held
          up to be an object of mockery

          Respectfully,
          YIS
          mason

          wrote:

> [...]
          > them
          > > > to lay off.
          > > >
          > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally
          > been
          > > in
          > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has
          > NEVER
          > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT
          > required
          > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth
          > is
          > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register
          for
          > > > certain before you do.
          > > >
          > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is
          > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close
          > it
          > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

        • Alix deBohun
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
            Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
            (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

            I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.

            Alix

> [...]

            > them

            > > > to lay off.

            > > > I am an apprentice and my Laurel (a person who has generally

            > been

            > > in

            > > > the SCA a long time and is usually very well respected) has

            > NEVER

            > > > registered her name or a device. NEVER. You simply are NOT

            > required

            > > > to do it. Anyone who says otherwise is flat wrong. The truth

            > is

            > > > that you should wait around to see what you want to register

            for

            > > > certain before you do.

            > > > Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is

            > > > great place to do that. But some things are forever or close

            > it

            > > > in the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Pardus
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
              So is Squirrel a pilot by chance?

              - Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

              Alix deBohun wrote:
              > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
              > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)
              >
              > I would suggest finding someone who really does regret their choice in arms and using them as the example. So many of the so called horrible devices were done with good reason.
              >
              > Alix

            • Labhaoise O'Beachain
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                Say it isn't so........

                > Alix deBohun wrote:
                > > Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                > > (for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                Squirrel)
              • julian wilson
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
                  Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*

                  COMMENT,
                  Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke nearly all of them.
                  Matthew Baker
                  Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

                • David Roland
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    It certainly isn't the end of the world if you do the things on the
                    don't list. However there are stories in abundance of people who
                    truly wish they had not. The point of the don'ts listed is to get
                    people to take some time before they make major decisions.

                    Every one of my newcomers and "graduated" newcomers have a story to
                    tell about why they are very happy they followed the advice in one way
                    or another. Almost all of which I heard well after the fact. Of
                    course I know some folks that everything worked out with as well. But
                    they seem to be the exception.

                    Just some friendly advice from a Chatelain.

                    Ian

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

                    > Pardus <Shadocat@...> wrote
                    > Pardus, who has already broken some rules on the Don't list. *g*
                    >
                    > COMMENT,
                    > Methinks my Lady and this humble veteran Soldier unknowingly broke
                    nearly all of them.
                    > Matthew Baker
                    > Southern Marches, Insulæ Draconis

                  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:
                      >Don't forget his wife Squirrel!
                      >(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                      >nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and Squirrel)

                      Mine is a flying monkey. :-)

                      Laurensa
                    • David Backlin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                        >>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her
                        >>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and
                        >>Squirrel)
                        >

                        > Mine is a flying monkey. :-)
                        >
                        > Laurensa

                        What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)
                      • christopher chastain
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                          No offense to the good sir and his lady but I cant help but mentally see rocky and bullwinkle everytime I read this description!

                          Dmitrii

                          "If you must choose between two paths, either of which will bring death and defeat, then choose the path wherein you die fighting for honor and justice." Pan Ku

                          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: edrei@...: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 00:36:52 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach

                          ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dianne & Greg Stucki" <goofy4@...>To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 4:37 PMSubject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: The Don't Speach> At 01:27 PM 10/8/2007, you wrote:>>Don't forget his wife Squirrel!>>(for those not in their kingdom, I'm not making fun, it's her>>nickname and she's a wonderful lady! I love that they are Moose and >>Squirrel)>>> Mine is a flying monkey. :-)>> Laurensa>What color? Not blue, I hope. ;)

                        • Dianne & Greg Stucki
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                            At 01:36 AM 10/9/2007, you wrote:
                            >Mine is a flying monkey. :-)