Re: [SCA Newcomers] I'm new

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      Quoth "Brittany":
      > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
      > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that?

      Oh, wonderful! I lived in Jararvellir for six years before I moved
      to Polderslot (Amsterdam, Netherlands). It's a very lovely place and
      an excellent group to join the SCA in.

      If you haven't found it already, the Barony's webpage is at
      http://www.jararvellir.org/. The person to talk to about getting
      involved is Lady Elizabeth Wren, the chatelaine; her email is
      chatelaine@.... The chatelaine's page also has
      other information for newcomers:

      http://www.jararvellir.org/chatelain.htm

      You should also check out the "local guilds and activities":
      http://www.jararvellir.org/guild.htm

      All of these cheerfully accept new members, just call or email
      the relevant person to confirm when and where the meetings are
      actually happening. You may also enjoy browsing the Barony's
      newsletter; the September issue is at
      http://www.jararvellir.org/skein/0709Skein.pdf

      For a first place to start, I would recommend the Wednesday night
      meetings at the Stock Pavilion on the UW Campus. The fighters,
      fencers, archers, and dancers all meet here throughout the evening,
      as well as other people who come along just to hang out and have
      fun.

      > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly meeting
      > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How did

      You don't have to give any warning if you don't want to, but if
      you do, Lady Elizabeth is the person to talk to.

      Have fun! You'll meet lots of very nice people in Jara.

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        My girlfriend is up in that Barony.

        Just to let you know the name is not pronounced at all like it looks.

        Jaravellir is pronounced

        Yar uh vet ler.

        The folks there are really great. As someone under the age of 18,
        please bring a parent with you to the first few SCA things you go to
        as well. This is good both for your parent's state of mind and for
        the SCA group you are looking at joining.

        The folks there are very nice and really all you need to do when you
        arrive is to say, "I'm new, who should I talk to about...?" If you
        have gotten a hold of someone ask for them by name.

        If for some reason you can not get a hold of the chatelaine you are
        also welcome to try the Seneschal and the Baroness. The Baroness's
        SCA name is pronounced IKE ney. She is incredibly nice.

        Good luck and have fun. I started in the SCA when I was 14 so age
        is not something that should stop you. Have fun, ask questions and
        learn everything you can.

        Ian the Green

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Brittany" <waterviolite@...>
        wrote:

        > When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed
        > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
        > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that? What events or
        > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly
        meeting
        > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How
        did
        > some of you start going to events and joining?

      • Crystal ortiz
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
          How did I start going? Hmm...actually I was dragged! I thought these people were insane! LOL I met up with some of them at a Ren Faire from there I was given information to our hospitaliter in my local shire...and the rest as they say is history. She really helped me a lot with everything from garb to persona development. I would definatley contact yours ASAP.

          -Cris

          When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed to

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2007
            Hospitaler = Chatelain(e) = Newcomers Greeter and Helper

            Ian
            Chatelain for the Shire of Grey Gargoyles
            Region of the Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Crystal ortiz