I'm new

  • Brittany
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed to
      really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
      Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that? What events or
      activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly meeting
      or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How did
      some of you start going to events and joining?
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
        Quoth "Brittany":
        > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
        > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that?

        Oh, wonderful! I lived in Jararvellir for six years before I moved
        to Polderslot (Amsterdam, Netherlands). It's a very lovely place and
        an excellent group to join the SCA in.

        If you haven't found it already, the Barony's webpage is at
        http://www.jararvellir.org/. The person to talk to about getting
        involved is Lady Elizabeth Wren, the chatelaine; her email is
        chatelaine@.... The chatelaine's page also has
        other information for newcomers:

        http://www.jararvellir.org/chatelain.htm

        You should also check out the "local guilds and activities":
        http://www.jararvellir.org/guild.htm

        All of these cheerfully accept new members, just call or email
        the relevant person to confirm when and where the meetings are
        actually happening. You may also enjoy browsing the Barony's
        newsletter; the September issue is at
        http://www.jararvellir.org/skein/0709Skein.pdf

        For a first place to start, I would recommend the Wednesday night
        meetings at the Stock Pavilion on the UW Campus. The fighters,
        fencers, archers, and dancers all meet here throughout the evening,
        as well as other people who come along just to hang out and have
        fun.

        > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly meeting
        > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How did

        You don't have to give any warning if you don't want to, but if
        you do, Lady Elizabeth is the person to talk to.

        Have fun! You'll meet lots of very nice people in Jara.

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
          My girlfriend is up in that Barony.

          Just to let you know the name is not pronounced at all like it looks.

          Jaravellir is pronounced

          Yar uh vet ler.

          The folks there are really great. As someone under the age of 18,
          please bring a parent with you to the first few SCA things you go to
          as well. This is good both for your parent's state of mind and for
          the SCA group you are looking at joining.

          The folks there are very nice and really all you need to do when you
          arrive is to say, "I'm new, who should I talk to about...?" If you
          have gotten a hold of someone ask for them by name.

          If for some reason you can not get a hold of the chatelaine you are
          also welcome to try the Seneschal and the Baroness. The Baroness's
          SCA name is pronounced IKE ney. She is incredibly nice.

          Good luck and have fun. I started in the SCA when I was 14 so age
          is not something that should stop you. Have fun, ask questions and
          learn everything you can.

          Ian the Green

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Brittany" <waterviolite@...>
          wrote:

          > When my sister went to college she joined the SCA and has seemed
          > really enjoy it. I am 15 and interested in joining the Barony of
          > Jararvellir in Madison. How should I do that? What events or
          > activities would be best to start with and if I choose a weekly
          meeting
          > or evert or whatever, how do I warn them I will be coming. How
          did
          > some of you start going to events and joining?

        • Crystal ortiz

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hospitaler = Chatelain(e) = Newcomers Greeter and Helper

              Ian
              Chatelain for the Shire of Grey Gargoyles
              Region of the Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Crystal ortiz