Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic and non-period garb

  • Grainne ingen Lugdach
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
      --- THL Milica of Varna <milica@...> wrote:

      > but that is the price of not requiring "pay-to-play"
      > in the SCA. If we want
      > to keep the organization open to anyone, we have to
      > live with the
      > consequences at large events.

      Indeed, I do realize this, and honestly, I wasn't
      trying to be antagonistic. I'm aware that many of the
      attendees are non-SCAdians, some of whom wouldn't
      "officially join" the SCA if we paid 'em. What seems
      odd to my pea brain, though, is that if these folks
      *choose* to come to an SCA event (and it *is*, despite
      what my friends tell me...it's on all the official
      Pennsic information), why shouldn't they be expected
      to be aware of and at least make an attempt to play by
      our rules? After all, we don't actually *require*
      much.

      As an example, I just discovered that another group
      with local-to-me roots is hosting a reenactment of the
      battle of Clontarf next Spring. My persona is an Irish
      widow of a Norseman who still lives in the Norse
      community in Dublin, so the mere thought of this event
      makes me drool. ("I can dress Irish one day and
      'Viking' the next, oh boy!") :-) If I decide to go,
      you can bet that I will research *that* group's
      standards and rules and play by them while I'm there.
      I won't go expecting to play by SCAdian rules, since
      it's not a SCAdian event. Does that make sense? IMHO,
      an event attendee should play by the rules of the host
      group. If you don't like/agree with their rules, don't
      bother going. Find something else to do.

      > Others who are wearing basic t-tunics may be
      hardworking
      > staff who are not willing
      > to ruin their court garb setting up hay bales on the
      > battlefield or treating
      > injuries in the pouring rain.

      As an early-period persona who is also a supporter of
      the Tunic Anti-Defamation League, I have no problem
      with that. :-) Heck, I spent much of Pennsic in cotton
      plaid "bog" dresses (chitony-peplosy-type things)
      which I *know* are technically "wrong." But they're
      cheap (with a Joann's coupon, I can buy everything I
      need to make one for about $8), they're quick and easy
      to whip up and they're an "attempt." When I tried to
      wear one of my 100% linen "Viking" outfits
      (long-sleeved tunic and apron dress), I thought I was
      gonna die; I'm *that* sensitive to the heat. (I'm
      going to try some lighter-weight linen for the tunic
      next year and see if that's more comfortable.)
      However, I think I was much more appropriately-dressed
      than the numerous goth chicks and "I Dream of Jeannie"
      extras that I saw roaming around. (And then there's
      the fellow that I dubbed "Tattoo Guy," who seemed to
      spend most of Pennsic clad only in his tats and a
      leather thong.)

      > On the other hand, you certainly can find much to
      > admire at Pennsic including
      > a slate of classes unequaled at any other event,
      > period performances, period
      > battles, and much more.

      Absolutely!!! Because of all of those things--and the
      chance to get to know the far-flung members of my
      household, not to mention the killer shopping!--I will
      happily suspend my sense of what's "typical" of
      SCAdian events and return again and again.

      Slan,
      Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Clan Oldcastle
      Shire of Roxbury Mill
      Atlantia

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • Wolfy
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
        Well I can tell you why this year I started wearing t-shirts at pennsic...
        Rain took all of my clothing and I was left with one tunic dry...
        which I happened to have on me. With all the stuff I do around at
        Pennsic and all the places I need to run to to help out at it got
        dirty very fast. I was on the field marhaling and helping out at
        random places... It rained... I was my tent open to dry my clothing...
        My household brothers did not notice it being open. Having no time to
        go to cooper's laundry to dry my period clothes I was stuck running
        around in sneakers (because my boots got so soaked they started to
        catch mold and were suspended to sit in the kitchen and drink lysol),
        kung-fu pants (those kind of look period. Wide baggy pants) and a
        tunic or a t-shit... depends now lucky I'd get with drying clothes
        stuff.
        Majority of my household friends had the same problems. We tried to
        wear T-shirts only in camp, but we all have to do some marshaling or
        helping out on the site during the day. So that got out a bit.
        So this year was a bit... problematic.
        My appologies for not being in period, but I'm sure most of you
        understand the trouble.

        ~Wolfy

        --
        The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind.
      • THL Milica of Varna
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
          Grainne, I know that. :-)

          For the sake of discussion on a Newcomers' list, I wanted to make sure that
          people knew there were some good things about Pennsic too. Believe me, I have
          a love/hate relationship with the event, but I still go back year after year
          because it can be so darn much fun!

          BTW, anyone who gets the chance to attend one of the very period re-enactments
          should make the effort to do so. I've never been but have friends who go each
          year and I hear it's an amazing experience!

          Milica

          On Tuesday 25 September 2007 09:51, Grainne ingen Lugdach wrote:
          > Indeed, I do realize this, and honestly, I wasn't
          > trying to be antagonistic.

          THL Milica of Varna
          Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken
          Erevnite Asteron
          Каждые жук и жаба
        • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2007
            Michelle wrote:
            > Can anyone point me to a merchant that sells Norse apron dresses. . .?

            The Jelling Dragon <http://www.jelldragon.com/viking_clothing.htm>, as
            someone mentioned, carries very authentic, high-quality stuff. An
            underdress and a hangerok from them would, collectively, run you about
            $400.

            The Hooded Hare offers a plausible (barring the optional trim) hangerok
            for $120 to $150 <http://thehoodedhare.com/aprondresses.htm>. Either
            of Historic Enterprises' two linen tunics would work as an undergown;
            the Type 1 is $90
            <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?
            m=product_detail&p=594&c=152> and the Type 2 $80
            <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?
            m=product_detail&p=125&c=152>.

            The Gift of Garb <http://stores.ebay.com/The-Gift-of-Garb> offers a
            linen hangerok-and-underdress set for about $100. The merchant
            custom-makes clothes after they're ordered, so you should expect it to
            take a couple of weeks longer than ordering ready-made would.

            has many members who make clothing to order, some of whom would
            doubtless be willing to put together an ensemble to your
            specifications.

            Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            Kingdom of Ansteorra
            <mailto:Coblaith@...>
          • Megan & Dave
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2007
              Make sure you put in enough seam allowance with this Hangerok though. The
              first time I tried this pattern I didn't. It was late & I was trying to get
              2 done for my girls for a demo we were doing and the one I made for my older
              daughter just fit my younger & the one I made for my younger didn't fit her
              either. Fortunately I had enough material to cut another center front for
              each of them, I seam ripped open the back & fit it in. Not something you
              want to be doing at 6 am when you stayed up until 2 making them. :)