Re: [SCA Newcomers] Pennsic and non-period garb

  • Elizabeth Bair
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25 6:27 AM
      Actually, the problem with Pennsic is that it is not truly an SCA
      event and has not been for many, many, many years. The first couple
      of Pennsics were small and held at a different site. When the SCA
      wanted to change the dates and the site and move to Cooper's Lake, the
      site was already in use during the desired dates by a Fantasy (Gor
      novel) based group called The Tuchux. It was agreed that the SCA
      would share the event with them.

      As long as the Tuchux continue to return to Pennsic the SCA cannot
      make Pennsic an SCA *ONLY* event and has not done so. For a long time
      they did attempt to control the non-SCA elements by requiring SCA
      membership in order to attend, however for many people this simply
      meant that attending Pennsic cost an extra $20-30 (over the years) in
      order to attend, so they sent in for their membership. This was made
      even easier when it became possible to simply buy your membership at
      gate. Once this happened, it became a losing battle.

      Pennsic is one of the largest SCA events in the world, that happens to
      be held in the middle of a a giant Ren Faire/Tuchux gathering/LARP
      event/Other Medieval Society Event. At this point, it's thought that
      the only way to reclaim Pennsic as a true SCA event again would be to
      move it to another location. But the SCA traditionalists are unlikely
      to ever agree to that. So.... Pennsic is it's own, very unique,
      situation and always will be.

      Dulcia
      Formerly of the Midrealm but Trimarian for 12 years now....

      --
      Countess Dulcia MacPherson, OL OR
      Kingdom Hospitaller, Kingdom of Trimaris

      "The wonderfulness of others will not diminish you. Your realization
      of the wonderfulness of others will enlarge you." - AElflaed of Duckford

      "Rule #5. There will always be some people who can do some things
      that you just *can't*. Don't worry about it, work on your basics
      and have some double-stuff Oreos." Tivar Moondragon

      > In defense of Pennsic, it HAS gotten somewhat non-period in the past few years
      > but that is the price of not requiring "pay-to-play" in the SCA. If we want
      > to keep the organization open to anyone, we have to live with the
      > consequences at large events. Anyone can come to Pennsic and most of the
      > people you see wearing overtly non-period garb are not regular SCA. Others
      > who are wearing basic t-tunics may be hardworking staff who are not willing
      > to ruin their court garb setting up hay bales on the battlefield or treating
      > injuries in the pouring rain.
    • Grainne ingen Lugdach
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25 6:51 AM
        --- THL Milica of Varna <milica@...> wrote:

        > but that is the price of not requiring "pay-to-play"
        > in the SCA. If we want
        > to keep the organization open to anyone, we have to
        > live with the
        > consequences at large events.

        Indeed, I do realize this, and honestly, I wasn't
        trying to be antagonistic. I'm aware that many of the
        attendees are non-SCAdians, some of whom wouldn't
        "officially join" the SCA if we paid 'em. What seems
        odd to my pea brain, though, is that if these folks
        *choose* to come to an SCA event (and it *is*, despite
        what my friends tell me...it's on all the official
        Pennsic information), why shouldn't they be expected
        to be aware of and at least make an attempt to play by
        our rules? After all, we don't actually *require*
        much.

        As an example, I just discovered that another group
        with local-to-me roots is hosting a reenactment of the
        battle of Clontarf next Spring. My persona is an Irish
        widow of a Norseman who still lives in the Norse
        community in Dublin, so the mere thought of this event
        makes me drool. ("I can dress Irish one day and
        'Viking' the next, oh boy!") :-) If I decide to go,
        you can bet that I will research *that* group's
        standards and rules and play by them while I'm there.
        I won't go expecting to play by SCAdian rules, since
        it's not a SCAdian event. Does that make sense? IMHO,
        an event attendee should play by the rules of the host
        group. If you don't like/agree with their rules, don't
        bother going. Find something else to do.

        > Others who are wearing basic t-tunics may be
        hardworking
        > staff who are not willing
        > to ruin their court garb setting up hay bales on the
        > battlefield or treating
        > injuries in the pouring rain.

        As an early-period persona who is also a supporter of
        the Tunic Anti-Defamation League, I have no problem
        with that. :-) Heck, I spent much of Pennsic in cotton
        plaid "bog" dresses (chitony-peplosy-type things)
        which I *know* are technically "wrong." But they're
        cheap (with a Joann's coupon, I can buy everything I
        need to make one for about $8), they're quick and easy
        to whip up and they're an "attempt." When I tried to
        wear one of my 100% linen "Viking" outfits
        (long-sleeved tunic and apron dress), I thought I was
        gonna die; I'm *that* sensitive to the heat. (I'm
        going to try some lighter-weight linen for the tunic
        next year and see if that's more comfortable.)
        However, I think I was much more appropriately-dressed
        than the numerous goth chicks and "I Dream of Jeannie"
        extras that I saw roaming around. (And then there's
        the fellow that I dubbed "Tattoo Guy," who seemed to
        spend most of Pennsic clad only in his tats and a
        leather thong.)

        > On the other hand, you certainly can find much to
        > admire at Pennsic including
        > a slate of classes unequaled at any other event,
        > period performances, period
        > battles, and much more.

        Absolutely!!! Because of all of those things--and the
        chance to get to know the far-flung members of my
        household, not to mention the killer shopping!--I will
        happily suspend my sense of what's "typical" of
        SCAdian events and return again and again.

        Slan,
        Grainne ingen Lugdach
        Clan Oldcastle
        Shire of Roxbury Mill
        Atlantia

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      • Wolfy
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25 7:22 AM
          Well I can tell you why this year I started wearing t-shirts at pennsic...
          Rain took all of my clothing and I was left with one tunic dry...
          which I happened to have on me. With all the stuff I do around at
          Pennsic and all the places I need to run to to help out at it got
          dirty very fast. I was on the field marhaling and helping out at
          random places... It rained... I was my tent open to dry my clothing...
          My household brothers did not notice it being open. Having no time to
          go to cooper's laundry to dry my period clothes I was stuck running
          around in sneakers (because my boots got so soaked they started to
          catch mold and were suspended to sit in the kitchen and drink lysol),
          kung-fu pants (those kind of look period. Wide baggy pants) and a
          tunic or a t-shit... depends now lucky I'd get with drying clothes
          stuff.
          Majority of my household friends had the same problems. We tried to
          wear T-shirts only in camp, but we all have to do some marshaling or
          helping out on the site during the day. So that got out a bit.
          So this year was a bit... problematic.
          My appologies for not being in period, but I'm sure most of you
          understand the trouble.

          ~Wolfy

          --
          The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)

          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
          matter and those who matter don't mind.
        • THL Milica of Varna
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25 8:46 AM
            Grainne, I know that. :-)

            For the sake of discussion on a Newcomers' list, I wanted to make sure that
            people knew there were some good things about Pennsic too. Believe me, I have
            a love/hate relationship with the event, but I still go back year after year
            because it can be so darn much fun!

            BTW, anyone who gets the chance to attend one of the very period re-enactments
            should make the effort to do so. I've never been but have friends who go each
            year and I hear it's an amazing experience!

            Milica

            On Tuesday 25 September 2007 09:51, Grainne ingen Lugdach wrote:
            > Indeed, I do realize this, and honestly, I wasn't
            > trying to be antagonistic.

            THL Milica of Varna
            Chronicler, Barony of Brendoken
            Erevnite Asteron
            Каждые жук и жаба
          • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25 1:51 PM
              Michelle wrote:
              > Can anyone point me to a merchant that sells Norse apron dresses. . .?

              The Jelling Dragon <http://www.jelldragon.com/viking_clothing.htm>, as
              someone mentioned, carries very authentic, high-quality stuff. An
              underdress and a hangerok from them would, collectively, run you about
              $400.

              The Hooded Hare offers a plausible (barring the optional trim) hangerok
              for $120 to $150 <http://thehoodedhare.com/aprondresses.htm>. Either
              of Historic Enterprises' two linen tunics would work as an undergown;
              the Type 1 is $90
              <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?
              m=product_detail&p=594&c=152> and the Type 2 $80
              <http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?
              m=product_detail&p=125&c=152>.

              The Gift of Garb <http://stores.ebay.com/The-Gift-of-Garb> offers a
              linen hangerok-and-underdress set for about $100. The merchant
              custom-makes clothes after they're ordered, so you should expect it to
              take a couple of weeks longer than ordering ready-made would.

              has many members who make clothing to order, some of whom would
              doubtless be willing to put together an ensemble to your
              specifications.

              Coblaith Mhuimhneach
              Barony of Bryn Gwlad
              Kingdom of Ansteorra
              <mailto:Coblaith@...>
            • Megan & Dave
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26 3:31 AM
                Make sure you put in enough seam allowance with this Hangerok though. The
                first time I tried this pattern I didn't. It was late & I was trying to get
                2 done for my girls for a demo we were doing and the one I made for my older
                daughter just fit my younger & the one I made for my younger didn't fit her
                either. Fortunately I had enough material to cut another center front for
                each of them, I seam ripped open the back & fit it in. Not something you
                want to be doing at 6 am when you stayed up until 2 making them. :)